Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it worth buying a console for one game?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been toying with buying a Gamecube for some time now but I just can't make myself take the extra step.

Yeah, I know its got some really great games on it, like Metroid Prime and Zelda, and so on.

But all I really want is Monkey Ball. I even bought the Gameboy Advance just to play the port of the game, convincing myself that it was a gift for the kids.

But I want more....

I've just kept hoping and hoping that the exclusivity deal would wane and the game would finally hit the PC or XBox. But unlike GTAIII and Vice City, it doesn't look like it was meant to be, mon cheri.

So is the difference between Super Monkey Ball Jr and SMB1 + SMB2 so great that I should shell out the extra $100 to $130 to buy the extra console?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure you will find some other games on the system that you would enjoy, perhaps not so much as SMB 1 and 2, but so what, if you have fun with Metroid/Zelda or RE series, then it is worth it.
Old 09-03-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, it's not...although I only use my PS2 NOW to play GTA3 & Vice City.

I think I may sell it though hearing about the upcoming news. I'm sure I can get something for it.
Old 09-03-03, 12:55 PM

It depends on why you want the game. I am assuming multi-player action...with Mario Kart around the corner you can't miss.

Honestly I think the value of a system is in the games you spend your time playing even if it just happens to be one game.
Old 09-03-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Gamecube is a great system. I sold my PS2 awhile ago, and planned on buying a new one as soon as possible, but I bought a Cube instead, and haven't regretted it.

Granted, I will eventually buy a PS2, but I may even buy an Xbox before I do

So I'd buy a Cube, chances are you'll like it.
Old 09-03-03, 01:41 PM

My advice would be skip Super Monkey Ball and get Super Monkey Ball 2. There are more multiplayer games open from the beginning and more multiplayer games in general. Academy Sports & Outdoors (if one is in your area) has NEW Gamecubes for 79.99. There is a supposed price drop coming and this sale price may be the indicator though I'd wager 99.99 MSRP. Mario Golf is also a great multiplayer addiction and yup, Mario Kart and another Monkey Ball are coming soon. Sega has and is putting out some bad-a$$ stuff (Beach Spikers, Monkey Ball, Sonic, F-Zero and Billy Hatcher) on the cube.
Old 09-03-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say it's worth owning a Gamecube if for only Metroid.

It's quite funny, I own about 1/3 of the games I do on Xbox for Gamecube, but I've probably played the Cube 3 times as much as my Xbox.
Old 09-03-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Why Sega keeps their games console-exclusive is beyond me. Maybe there's some financial deal in the works, but SMB 1 & especially 2 couldn't have sold that well and you'd think they'd want to recoup as much $$ as possible by porting the game eventaully, but they never do. I'd heard they were working on VF4 for the Xbox and that never happened either. If they are serious about making money, they should consider going multi-console on their non-sports games. I think they're trying it with the next Sonic game -- it's a step in the right direction.

And I agree with you, SMB is fun on the GBA dispite the akward controls.
Old 09-03-03, 01:51 PM
Banned

I don't believe getting a system for 1 game is worth it but you should check out other games that are out for GC so you can get a grasp of how many games interest you and as time goes on, new games will come out which you will probley want.
Old 09-03-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

not for me... in fact, i don't think even 5 games are worth purchasing a system.
Old 09-03-03, 02:17 PM

I would have to say no, nothing gets on my nerves like watching a system collect dust. Afterall you can't play that one game forever.
Old 09-03-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's worth buying a system used if you get a good deal on it for one game. After you play that one game, you'll probably find others you like as well.
Old 09-03-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It really depends on you, but I'd say yes because after you make the purchase you will find other games that interest you. Its always that first game that gets me to buy a system. For the PS2 it was FFX, for Gamecube it was Super Smash Bros. Melee (not to mention all the other first party titles).

I'll put in another vote that if you are getting it for Metroid Prime it is definitely worth it. 97% rating averaged over 166 sites and magazines at Gamerankings.com can't be wrong . Also check out Eternal Darkness. You'll get a lot of play with Super Monkey Ball 2 as well. If you like the GBA version you'll love SMB2. Its one of the best party games ever made.

Here's a little nudge that might help get you out the door. IGN Cube is saying that the Gamecube will drop in price late September to $99. And if you hurry, you can pick up Metroid Prime right now for $20 at Blockbuster. And Super Monkey Ball 2 is only $29 ($25 if you use the five off coupon).
Old 09-03-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll be buying one for Fzero (since I no longer have access to one where I live now), so yeah I think so. You're bound to end up purchasing at least a couple of other games that you wouldn't have bought otherwise (although depending on finances this could be a negative!). I bought my xbox to play Halo and my PS2 to play FFX/SH2 and now have 8 games for each.

Super Monkey Ball 1 on the GC was fantastic (although the multiplayer games were a bit average - more fun just to play the normal levels taking it in turns).

Chris
Old 09-03-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a PS2 just for Kingdom Hearts (it was worth it). My kids play it though. I'm a Cube person myself. I won an XBox (about 18 months ago) and still haven't played a game on it...waiting for the new Banjo though. Actually will probably pick up KOTOR, heard too many good things about it.
Old 09-04-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought the PS1 just to play Gran Turismo. That game was so worth the purchase. I hadn't been that excited about a single game since Super Mario Bros 3.
Old 09-04-03, 12:40 AM
Banned

There's always more than one game per console that's worth playing, no matter what your tastes are. Buying a console just for one game isn't unheard of (the Nintendo 64 sold well based on Mario World alone). I bought an XBox just because it happened to be in stock during the Christmas it first came out. I also bought a Gamecube just because Toys R Us had a great deal on it, Mario Sunshine and Bomberman, but Zelda turned out to be a great game and now I'm going to get Rouge Squadron III and the new Mario Kart.
Old 09-04-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think one great game is worth gettiing a system, but as many people have pointed out, there will always be more great games once you own the system. I've had every nintendo system, i bought xbox last year just to play hockey online, now i use it the most because of the online gaming
Old 09-04-03, 06:32 AM

Yes, if that game is Resident Evil.
Old 09-04-03, 08:13 AM

Is is worth buying a system for only one game? Apparently. Look at sales of Xbox (halo)
Old 09-04-03, 10:50 AM

I bought a Nintendo 64 just for Goldeneye. Heck, I played the game non-stop for two years. I think I got my money's worth.
Old 09-04-03, 11:12 AM

I got the 'cube just for Star Wars, but I own a crap load of games now. Now, I can't finish one before I start another one.
Old 09-04-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I've given this some more thought and I'll likely take the plunge.

While I know a lot of people find the value of the game in its multi-player options, I'm just hooked to the single player main game. The minis are nice but not necessary.

Reflecting on the other video game systems I've owned, I've always picked one or two titles out of the 30 or so I would have and almost played them exclusively. On the NES, it was Tetris and Arkanoid. On the Odyssey2, it was UFO. On the Vectrex, it was Minestorm. On the PS ,it was Crash Bandicoot: Warped. And on the GBA, its SMB Jr. As for the Xbox, that was for my son, and bought almost solely so he could play Halo.

The cost of $100 or so for a used Cube and a used copy of SMB2 is not too high, and certainly not much higher than the $80 I spent for the GBA and SMB Jr. And definitely not even close to the $250 or so for the XBox and Halo.

And it also opens the door to get any future versions of SMB.

Just hope the wife doesn't freak at the addition of yet another game system.
Old 09-04-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[looks over at his supergrafx and pc-fx....]

yup.

j
Old 09-04-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends on how bad you want to play the game, in some cases, yes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.