Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Magdalene Sisters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Magdalene Sisters

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Magdalene Sisters

Has anyone seen this film about some outcasts of society
in the Catholic church.

Well, three girls are sent to this place and the nuns basically
treat them like slaves.

Not a lot to say except the acting is great and it is suspenseful.

One of the better films I've seen this year.
Old 09-03-03, 12:07 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw this a couple of days ago.

I liked both the acting and the direction. The most shocking aspect of the story is that the events transpire in the 1960's! I thought we had gotten rid of stuff like this in the dark ages.

Here's the trialer for those interested:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/mirama...e_sisters.html

Old 09-08-03, 12:28 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Yup, a great film, very very moving, and some very disturning imagery, the Catholic church for the longest time ruled Ireland with an iron fist, and in some sections still does. The older folks are very afraid of the church.

Very good stuff, and some great performances
Old 09-08-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hm, I've been meanign to see this for a while. Maybe it's time I stop resting on my laurels.
Old 09-10-03, 01:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The DC Film Society screening of this film with director Peter Mullan in attendence, Mr. Mullan remarkably revealed that of all the characters, the most true to life characters was the overly sadistic Sister Bridget, based on an actual nun he knew.
Old 09-10-03, 07:34 PM

It's not showing anywhere in my area, so I plan on buying the R2 DVD pretty soon.
Old 09-13-03, 02:41 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

i also saw it a couple days ago, still showing in the bay area rather disturbing and dark, but a good movie.

even more disturbing that its not total fiction and such things can happen in supposedly civil western countries and so damn recently!
Old 06-09-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Magdalene Sisters

Since I first saw the film "City of God" about 18 months ago, it has been the first film that came to mind whenever someone in my social circle of mostly casual-at-best movie fans asked me to recommend a film. Now it has some company. As much as I consider "City of God" to be a masterwork of modern cinema, the controversial The Magdalene Sisters - a U.K./Irish film from last year - would also score a 10/10 in my book. In one way it even surpassed "City of God" in that I cared more about the characters in The Magdalene Sisters.

I watched the DVD last night. The spell cast by a beautiful musical performance which opened the film quickly dissipated and I found myself immediately immersed in an unsettling and moving drama of three young women and their 1960's experiences in an Irish-Catholic run institution know as the Magdalene Laundries.

The performances are outstanding. The director did a terrific job in presenting the story and I found not a single dull moment throughout the approx. 1:50 runtime (I was so captivated that I strongly considered foregoing my routine microwave popcorn break that I usually take about a 1/3 of the way into a film (umm...okay, too much information)). Anyway, I hope some others here at the forum check it out sometime. Keep in mind though it's not at all family fare, and you should be in the mood for a slow-burn drama. I've read some say that it was a bit boring but I'd disagree; I would have been comfortable if it went on even a little bit longer. As a sidenote, I haven't watched the documentary supplement on the DVD but I've read that it too is very good.

I've recommend "Rabbit-Proof Fence" on a few occassions in this forum; The Magdalene Sisters would make a nice companion piece. Actually since they are both English-language films, they might be a good segue if someone wants to delve into the world of foreign cinema (or are English-language films not considered foreign).

With some of the more recent movies I've watched being "The Twilight Samurai", "Oldboy", and now "The Magdalene Sisters", I'm certain that I've got no where else to go but down.

So, any other fans of this film (in addition to the handful who posted in the thread from last Fall)?
Old 06-09-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. If you are in the mood for a serious, slow moving, drama film, this one is tops.
Old 06-09-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with you flixtime, fantastic film.
Old 06-10-04, 09:48 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Aces from here. Mullan is as intense a director as he is an actor...
Old 06-10-04, 10:53 AM
Suspended

Geraldine McEwan (she of the Mapp and Lucia BBC comedy series) rules!
Old 06-10-04, 03:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
Aces from here. Mullan is as intense a director as he is an actor...
and he is ultra-nice, I've had the chance to meet and talk with him twice. He even signed my DVD copy of his film 'Orphans'.
Old 06-10-04, 04:38 PM

Wonderful film...
Old 06-10-04, 05:12 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I agree, great film
Old 12-24-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Holy crap, that was a depressing movie. It's disgusting what has been done in the name of the Church over the years and the abuse of power by certain individuals and groups.

Anyhow - Peter Mullan put together a fine movie. Top notch performances all around.
Old 12-24-04, 07:58 AM

Great film...
Old 12-24-04, 10:37 AM

Not to get off base too much, but it portrayed the seedy side of the church that needs to be exposed after too many a year of corruption.

Good flick. Depressing as hell and you fealt for the girls predicament.
Old 12-24-04, 01:59 PM

I didn't see it because my "other" won't watch it with me. She read the book and it was so sad she doesn't want to go through that again. And, we watch together so ----. This doesn't happen a lot so it really got to her.