DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Magdalene Sisters

Frank TJ Mackey
09-03-03, 02:30 AM
Has anyone seen this film about some outcasts of society
in the Catholic church.

Well, three girls are sent to this place and the nuns basically
treat them like slaves.

Not a lot to say except the acting is great and it is suspenseful.

One of the better films I've seen this year.

MrN
09-03-03, 12:07 PM
I saw this a couple of days ago.

I liked both the acting and the direction. The most shocking aspect of the story is that the events transpire in the 1960's! I thought we had gotten rid of stuff like this in the dark ages.

Here's the trialer for those interested:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/magdalene_sisters.html

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0318411/TMS_poster.jpg

BDB
09-08-03, 12:28 AM
Yup, a great film, very very moving, and some very disturning imagery, the Catholic church for the longest time ruled Ireland with an iron fist, and in some sections still does. The older folks are very afraid of the church.

Very good stuff, and some great performances

Corvin
09-08-03, 08:47 AM
Hm, I've been meanign to see this for a while. Maybe it's time I stop resting on my laurels.

Giles
09-10-03, 01:28 PM
The DC Film Society screening of this film with director Peter Mullan in attendence, Mr. Mullan remarkably revealed that of all the characters, the most true to life characters was the overly sadistic Sister Bridget, based on an actual nun he knew.

Cosmic Bus
09-10-03, 07:34 PM
It's not showing anywhere in my area, so I plan on buying the R2 DVD pretty soon. :)

Aihyah
09-13-03, 02:41 AM
i also saw it a couple days ago, still showing in the bay area:) rather disturbing and dark, but a good movie.

even more disturbing that its not total fiction and such things can happen in supposedly civil western countries:( and so damn recently!

B.A.
12-24-04, 01:11 AM
Holy crap, that was a depressing movie. It's disgusting what has been done in the name of the Church over the years and the abuse of power by certain individuals and groups.

Anyhow - Peter Mullan put together a fine movie. Top notch performances all around.

DVD Smurf
12-24-04, 07:58 AM
Great film...

kahuna415
12-24-04, 10:37 AM
Not to get off base too much, but it portrayed the seedy side of the church that needs to be exposed after too many a year of corruption.

Good flick. Depressing as hell and you fealt for the girls predicament.

Psych1
12-24-04, 01:59 PM
I didn't see it because my "other" won't watch it with me. She read the book and it was so sad she doesn't want to go through that again. And, we watch together so ----. This doesn't happen a lot so it really got to her.