Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox it will be!but one question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox it will be!but one question.

after i sell my dreamcast and ps1+all the games i will buy the Xbox....the one question i have is,-there seems to be no Bundle deals that i can find(BB or CC)Games or game+system!

should i wait closer to December????
Old 09-02-03, 06:05 PM

We're already in September, my advice would be for you to wait. Theres always good deals for the holidays on systems and games. There is a rumor that there may be another price drop coming and the xbox/mechassault/splinter cell bundle that seems to be showing up in wal marts and EBs computers.
Old 09-02-03, 06:10 PM

Thanks-i don`t mind the wait-,

ill also need it to play dvd`s,-and id like to play online games as well,

i believe i can do that though my Cable Modem????with a fee of 50.00 a year??
Old 09-02-03, 07:04 PM
Banned

dont want to sound rude or anything but if I were you, I'd keep the Dreamcast and the psx and get a job for atleast for 1 month so you can buy your xbox unless your not old enough to work then you might your ask parents for it for christmas but if you already have job and working, then I don't know why you'd sell your psx and dreamcast but hey, thats just me. Please don't take this the wrong way.
Old 09-02-03, 07:15 PM

get a Job

Im 40 and own my own Flooring Company

It`s not a money issue but more of a room issue-,i don`t need 3 game systems in my living room...i figure xbox that would be used as a dvdplayer along with some gaming would work out nicely...im not a huge Gamer,and see no reason to keep DC and ps1 just to collect Dust.....

""Please don't take this the wrong way""

No Problem-,i guess the Ave.Gamer is still living at home and Jobless
Old 09-02-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tommy28
get a Job

Im 40 and own my own Flooring Company

It`s not a money issue but more of a room issue-,i don`t need 3 game systems in my living room...i figure xbox that would be used as a dvdplayer along with some gaming would work out nicely...im not a huge Gamer,and see no reason to keep DC and ps1 just to collect Dust.....

I'm with you. Sell the damn things if you don't use them. I only have so much gaming time myself and just enough room for the X-Box and GC. I usually sell previous generation consoles when buying new ones as well.

Also, usually the kids without jobs have more spending cash then I have, and I have a job and make good money but have to feed three other people who are not kicking in any ca$h toward the rent (wife and 2 kids) Guess that's why they call them dependents.

The bundle deals will start coming again. Plus the platinum hits combined with the $5 Best Buy coupons are great. Check the Videogames FAQ if you need more info. I'll be picking up DOA3 and Unreal Tournament next paycheck myself (had to pay for my daughter's gymnastics and for the wife a plane ticket this month or they would have been mine now)

Last edited by sniper308; 09-02-03 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-02-03, 09:17 PM

The Halo/Amped Bundle is still all over the place here in Canada (Toronto Area)
Old 09-02-03, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by bigdaddy1980
The Halo/Amped Bundle is still all over the place here in Canada (Toronto Area)
thanks bigdaddy however im in the States.

id love Halo Bundled However.
Old 09-02-03, 10:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't Gamespot/Funcoland do used bundles? If not, buying used is a good way to buy the system and still have some scratch left over for games.
Old 09-02-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i thought someone mentioned a splinter cell bundle... + the live kit w/ mechassault. if true, you may want to wait for those.

-
also, definitely lose the old systems if you don't need it. i guarantee that the last thing you say before you die will not be, "jeez, i wish i had kept the dreamcast and psone...."
Old 09-03-03, 07:51 AM

Thanks Everyone-.

I hope the do something like this around the Holiday,that looks like a great Bundle....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...523007-5826800
Old 09-03-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
ill also need it to play dvd`s
To use an Xbox to play DVD's, you'll need a DVD remote. They run $29.99 everywhere, but you can get them for $5 less with a Best Buy coupon. Another option if you're a Costco member is to get their bundle which includes a second S-controller, DVD Remote and the Sega GT/ JSRF game for $219.99. It's a little more expensive, of course, but if you needed a remote and second controller, then getting them both for $40 is a good deal and the bonus game is nice as well.

,-and id like to play online games as well,

i believe i can do that though my Cable Modem????with a fee of 50.00 a year??

That's right. The Live Starter kit is $50 (again, BB can save you $5). You need a broadband connection, though for the Xbox (PS2 works with dial up modems, but not very well). That $50 covers the hardware you need, the Tetris Online game and the first year of service. There will be some sort of annual fee after that, though I don't think the price has been announced yet (most expect it to be $50).
Old 09-03-03, 08:51 AM

Thanks Decker-

""""That's right. The Live Starter kit is $50 (again, BB can save you $5). You need a broadband connection, though for the Xbox (PS2 works with dial up modems, but not very well). That $50 covers the hardware you need, the Tetris Online game and the first year of service. There will be some sort of annual fee after that, though I don't think the price has been announced yet (most expect it to be $50)"""

Just so i understand-,i use Optimum online(cablevision)now in my home office...-do i have to get another cable type Modem from cablevision(they charge),or do i just use what xbox sells me and just plug it directly into my wall cable box where my xbox will go???

thanks-
Old 09-03-03, 09:52 AM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[B]Thanks Decker-

""""That's right. The Live Starter kit is $50 (again, BB can save you $5). You need a broadband connection, though for the Xbox (PS2 works with dial up modems, but not very well). That $50 covers the hardware you need, the Tetris Online game and the first year of service. There will be some sort of annual fee after that, though I don't think the price has been announced yet (most expect it to be $50)"""
Hey Tommy, I recently picked up NFLFever04 from best buy, and recieved a two month free pass for xbox LIVE, which every XSNsports game comes with. I also recieved several $10 off coupons. $10 off Xbox Live version 2, $10 off Links, $10 off Topspin, and $10 off two others. So if you got Fever04, you could try out the service and get $10 off (maybe an additional 5 off with the Best buy gift card coupon) for a years subscription.
Old 09-03-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just so i understand-,i use Optimum online(cablevision)now in my home office...-do i have to get another cable type Modem from cablevision(they charge),or do i just use what xbox sells me and just plug it directly into my wall cable box where my xbox will go???

thanks-
do you have a router? just hook up the cable from the router to the xbox and you're done.
Old 09-03-03, 11:23 AM

young no router....

so i guess the xbox with there Hardware hooked directly up to cables(wall)will not work!!!

if not-

i could get a router i guess-,my daughter has been asking for internet but i refuse to give cablevision anymore money-.!

thoughts?
Old 09-03-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like you have cable, but not internet service through your cable provider.

To use XBox live, you would need to add high-speed internet to your cable service. From there, you use an inexpensive router to connect both your Xbox and your PC to your cable modem.
Old 09-03-03, 11:36 AM

Gromit yes i have internet on my computer through Optimum online.,but it`s not near where my xbox will go-,

can i just use the harware from xbox???

sorry guys-,when it comes to gadgets,im lost!
Old 09-03-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Nope. You need to either hook the XBox up to the cable modem (which would likely mean disconnecting the computer from it when you want to use the xbox), or a router to share the connection. It needs to be close enough to reach, or you'll end up having to set up a little network.

I'm not lost with gadgets, but I'm lost with networking, and I had no problems setting it and the PS2 up (actually, XBox went a bit smoother). I have the advantage of a TV next to the computer, though. Right now, because I've spent enough, I don't play it on the main TV that's not near the internet connection.

If you poke around here, you should find most of your answers:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/Connect.htm

That's the main page for XBox live. This page here shows providers, and on the right it shows you how things need to be set up. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/providers.htm

Note: This is dumb, but if you end up needing extra ethernet cables, the official XBox one is a crossover cable, which is not what you need (see below).

" Most modems use a standard (straight-through) Ethernet cable, but some modems use a crossover Ethernet cable. Check the documentation that came with your modem for more information. "

Last edited by Ginwen; 09-03-03 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-03-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Yup, you'll need a router. If your computer and Xbox are far apart, you'll likely need a wireless router system. There are plenty of options available, none are terribly cheap,unfortunately.

I know Costco has a package with the routers and cards that would be all you need for about $100. There may be cheaper deals if you buy everything seperately.

A wireless router kit looks like this.

If your Xbox is close to your computer you might be better off with a wired router (that's what I use). You can get one of those for $50 or so.
Also, apparently Nyko is coming out with an inexpensive wireless system for gaming. Here's some info on it.

Bottom line is : Setting up your online gaming can be more complicated and more expensive than it looks.
Old 09-03-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
The Splinter Cell + Mech Assault bundle is official. It is out and available now. Walmart has it for $180.
Old 09-03-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No Problem-,i guess the Ave.Gamer is still living at home and Jobless
What gave you the impression that anyone here has a job? This is the VG forum after all . They're all lying.
Old 09-03-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ginwen

Note: This is dumb, but if you end up needing extra ethernet cables, the official XBox one is a crossover cable, which is not what you need (see below).

" Most modems use a standard (straight-through) Ethernet cable, but some modems use a crossover Ethernet cable. Check the documentation that came with your modem for more information. "
The crossover cable is for directly connecting two computers or two X-Boxes I believe. Such as you could do to just do a simple system link. This lets you play System Link games with out a router/hub, etc.
Old 09-03-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i could get a router i guess-,my daughter has been asking for internet but i refuse to give cablevision anymore money-.!

Oh, OK. Sorry to add to your confusion. I thought you were saying that you didn't have a cable modem, but you meant that she wants access to it too.

As others have said, you can either buy a router and stretch ethernet cable from it to your Xbox or you can go wireless. I have a Linksys wireless router and their WET-11 wireless ethernet bridge.

The wireless router would sit near your cable modem and you could use it to add other computers to your network that are close to your main computer. It's "wireless" in that it will work with other wireless equipment...

The WET-11 would talk to the router and allow you to plug in ethernet devices (such as your Xbox) to get them on your network without stretching cables everywhere.

It's a bit expensive (around $100 each for the router and the WET-11) but it's clean, fairly easy and it works great.
Old 09-03-03, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by juiio
The Splinter Cell + Mech Assault bundle is official. It is out and available now. Walmart has it for $180.
the only bundles they have(online are these...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A78142%3A77342

they don`t seem like a great deal though-maybe walmart just bundles them and adds the game prices in-

ill check BM.....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.