Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Charade: "Widescreen Collector's Edition"?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-03, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Criterion Collection edition of Charade is probably out of my price range but I'd like to get a copy of this film. Has anyone watched the inexpensive "Widescreen Collector's Edition", and what is the transfer quality of it like?
Old 08-30-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The best version available other than the Criterion is on the flip side of the DVD- The Truth About Charlie. As per one of the DVD Talk reviews "it boasts a solid transfer that beats Criterion’s because of its anamorphic enhancement. One hour and fifty-four minutes of cinematic gold!"

Here's a Link to one review of this disc.

Buy it strickly for the Charade transfer!!!

Sonicflood
Old 08-31-03, 06:20 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
After reading this, I'm thinking of eBaying my Criterion Charade and picking up TTAC... all I really wanted was a good transfer.

I bought Charade about a year ago for about $25, but I could get $50 on eBay for it, get TTAC and make $30.

I just might.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-03, 11:18 PM

Thanks. Although it's splitting hairs, I did notice at the store recently that The Truth about Charlie was selling for about twice as much as the "Widescreen Collector's Edition" of Charade, so my original question still stands.

Somehow I object to paying more money for a crappy remake, even if I'm getting a good quality copy of Charade in the process.
Old 09-01-03, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by Chris Camfield
Somehow I object to paying more money for a crappy remake, even if I'm getting a good quality copy of Charade in the process.
Perfectly understandable, I couldn't stand having The Truth About Charlie in my collection, even if it includes a better transfer for Charade.

The Criterion suits me fine
Old 09-01-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chris Camfield
I did notice at the store recently that The Truth about Charlie was selling for about twice as much as the "Widescreen Collector's Edition" of Charade, so my original question still stands.
Problem is, is that all the other versions of Charade out there are released by cheap companies that for the most part all suck (and are struck from crappy public domain prints).

Out of curiosity (and for those who are more familiar with the various different companies that have released Charade)....do you know the company who released the dvd you are considering?

I would guess though that all the budget versions are poor, and if you want a good looking picture, your best bet is to get either the Criterion or the one that comes with The Truth About Charlie.
Old 09-01-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by TopHatCat64
Perfectly understandable, I couldn't stand having The Truth About Charlie in my collection, even if it includes a better transfer for Charade.
You could always throw out the Charlie disc and print off custom cover art for Charade, then just pretend it was a 1-disc set.
Old 09-01-03, 07:57 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
You could always throw out the Charlie disc and print off custom cover art for Charade, then just pretend it was a 1-disc set.
I believe the DVD is a double sided DVD, so you'd just cover up the Charlie side with the sticker art!
Old 09-02-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Goldberg74
I believe the DVD is a double sided DVD, so you'd just cover up the Charlie side with the sticker art!
It is a single disc, double sided. TTAC on side 1 & Charade on side 2.

You could always do as Goldberg suggested and print a Charade disc label and place it on top of side 1! This would cover up The Truth about Charlie and give you a Charade Disc with the best transfer!

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 09-02-03 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-03-03, 02:15 PM

That's a crazy enough idea that it might just work!

I have no experience printing things like this - is it common? Are there any programs specifically for creating them? (I know about programs to create CD labels and inserts, but not for DVD cases.)
Old 09-16-03, 04:17 PM

Sort of *bump* (I would like advice on printing inserts)

I managed to find a used & very inexpensive copy of TTAC so I'm all set for watching the film. Thanks for the advice from everyone!