Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jeepers Creepers 2 - Reviews, Discussion & Thoughts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

summer is winding down....

Two years ago, united artists and american zoetrope cashed in during the end of summer, with the sleeper hit, JEEPERS CREEPERS. The film was surprisingly decent. It had an extremely good first half....the second half turned into an all out monster movie that had far too many cliches but it scored in the end, making it a decent little film... well, they decided that we'd want more, so now, two years later (almost to the DAY) comes JEEPERS CREEPERS 2....

Damn...this movie BLEW. They took all of the things that SUCKED about Jeepers Creepers and blew them up into an ENTIRE feature... the characters are annoying and typical...the creature effects are OK, but the deaths are predictable and ultimately not intense/scary or gory enough to be satisfying.

Add to that, the fact that both CREEPER films are directed by convicted child molester VICTOR SALVA, who had some eyebrow raising undercurrents and lines of dialogue in the first film... jokes about sexual situations aren't really cool when they come from a guy who videotaped himself with a 12 year old boy... well, Jeepers 2 has even MORE of these pedophilic undertones... the camera and the creeper almost OOGLE the entire cast (especially the males...hmm) and serve as a constant reminder that if the cast were a bit younger, the director would have wanted to **** them... OK, maybe people can change and I'm being too harsh on Salva... but I think his personality comes through in these films...and frankly...no sir, I don't like it.

And one of the worst things about JC2... The Creeper is shown far too much, so that he looks ridiculous, not scary and now, he no longer CREEPS around or drives his sweet ass ride... He flies everywhere... this ****er is flying for 2/3 of the movie... and I think the flying Creeper is frigin' lame... he looks like a big flying idiot.... They really overused the CG for this flyin' machine...and it doesn't look good...had they had the Creeper do more Creeping and actually put a little depth into the characters (like the first one) than I may have recommended this second helping, but as it is... this sequel takes everything that was good about the first film and pisses all over it... If you're looking for a fun time at the movies and want to see a horror flick, stick to Freddy vs. Jason...or wait two weeks for "Cabin Fever" which is supposed to be excellent... oh well, until then,

MATT

Last edited by mdc3000; 08-29-03 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-29-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Jeepers Creepers 2 - Reviews, Discussion & Thoughts

Originally posted by mdc3000
It had an extremely good first half....the second half turned into an all out monster movie that had far too many cliches
agreed. that's why I'm passing on this. If they were to do something, it should be to make up for that horrible second half of the first flick. Thanks for also confirming my suspicions. Maybe I'll rent it once out on DVD, but I'll have to wait and see.
Old 08-29-03, 09:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Ebert's 1-star review: http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert...eepers29f.html
Old 08-29-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Does this movie ever explain "the Creeper"? I saw the 1st one and afterwards I wanted to know why this demon has to replace his parts and where did he come from.
Old 08-29-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll agree with Giantrobo, the first one left me asking for more explaination of the whole mess.
Old 08-29-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Does this movie ever explain "the Creeper"? I saw the 1st one and afterwards I wanted to know why this demon has to replace his parts and where did he come from.
Possibly the least satisfying part of this film... it does not answer any questions about the Creeper...nor does it really add anything to his character... BLAH.

MATT
Old 08-29-03, 04:50 PM
Wag

Re: Jeepers Creepers 2 - Reviews, Discussion & Thoughts

Originally posted by mdc3000
Two years ago, united artists and american zoetrope cashed in during the end of summer, with the sleeper hit, JEEPERS CREEPERS. The film was surprisingly decent. It had an extremely good first half....the second half turned into an all out monster movie that had far too many cliches but it scored in the end, making it a decent little film
I totally agree as well. The first half of the first movie, especially the first 20 minutes or so, were really creepy, suspenseful, and good.

I remember saying to my girlfriend, if they keep this going, this could be a pretty good flick. Course we all know how it unraveled soon after.

Too bad too, because it started with alot of promise. The lead woman, Gina Philips, was pretty nice to look at as well. And too bad that they continued the second-half crapfest into the sequel.

Seems alot of horror movies suffer the same lack of finishing skills.

Last edited by Wag; 08-29-03 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-29-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have'nt seen the sequel yet. Thought the first was pretty good. Agree the first half was the best,but the 2nd 'not that' bad,but not to great either. So an entire film like the last half of the first does'nt sound to good.

Anyway about the whole answers never being given to all the questions? Well thats what makes it scarier! If they bothered to tell us everything like all other films do today,then all fear of the unknown & suspense/dread etc etc will be lost. Since we go from knowing very little to knowing too much. So it's best to keep the stuff in the dark & adds to the fear factor.
Old 08-29-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really Liked it.

I would say the original had the edge over this one.

The characters, let's say, weren't as developed as the ones in the first film, but it's mostly because there are a lot more of them this time. And teenagers who are into sports, let's say, not much going on upstairs.

There is a lot of suspense in the first hour, a lot like the first film, and the last 40 minutes or so was a bit of a letdown (like the first film) But... There was enough for me to fully enjoy it.

I love and hate how the film became breakdown. It went from pure suspense to man vs. monster vs. automobiles. It definetly took away from the momentum and became a spectacle...But for some reason I was into it.

And I applaud
Spoiler:
How many times ray wise jabbed the creeper in the torso with that metal thingie. So many films limit jabbing motions for fear of a nc17 rating. I guess they got away with it because the creeper isn't a human. It was pretty cool

As for all the critics attacking salva because of his past, blah blah blah. He likes guys, Young boys, Blah, Blah, Blah. So does your local priest. The movie was fun and I was held in suspense at least more than 5 minutes at a time. Not many new horror films can do that.

dissapointment:

No
Spoiler:
Scary jeeper truck. That thing was pretty creepy in itself
Old 08-29-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree. I went to see it with my sister not expecting much, and although the movie was pretty stupid, it was still entertaining. In a way I think it will stick with me like most stupid horror movies don't. I also agree with what you applauded....too often in these types of movies they never do that as much as you know they should, and it pisses me off.
Old 08-29-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While i had somewhat of a moral dillema even paying to see this movie to begin with, after sitting through this hour and fifty minute P.O.C i just felt stupid for paying to see it.
I won't go into all the things i thought were wrong with since they include spoilers but good god, this was just a waste of time.
Old 08-29-03, 11:26 PM

this movie ranks up there with wishmaster3 absolute junk. this is the kinda movie wait for hbo not even worth renting. total disapointment.
Old 08-30-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do people have to know everything about a certain character, he's just there doing his thing, deal with it, I never understand people's need to have everything explained to them. It is a monster movie, plain and simple. People are failing to mention that this movie takes place the next day or so after the first film, which explains alot. SOME SPOILERS- Why doesnt he use his truck?, well, he was finally revealed to people, killing half a poilce station, so he doesnt have to be ingognito anymore while he's gathering his parts, which might explain the rash way he's doing the killings, his time is nearly up and he must need a certain amount, as shown in the amonut of bodies in the church basement fom the first film. As for some of the creep factor in Salva's obvious idolizing of young boys, especially with the shirtlessness and group pissing, well, i cant explain that away.lol. All in know is that the Creeper seems to swing one way, but hey, it could just be he needs more male parts, who the hell knows?
Old 08-30-03, 08:08 AM

Good first half? I thought it went down hill as soon as the kid went down that tube... thingy... whatever.
Old 08-30-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by harosa
Why do people have to know everything about a certain character, he's just there doing his thing, deal with it, I never understand people's need to have everything explained to them. It is a monster movie, plain and simple. People are failing to mention that this movie takes place the next day or so after the first film, which explains alot. SOME SPOILERS- Why doesnt he use his truck?, well, he was finally revealed to people, killing half a poilce station, so he doesnt have to be ingognito anymore while he's gathering his parts, which might explain the rash way he's doing the killings, his time is nearly up and he must need a certain amount, as shown in the amonut of bodies in the church basement fom the first film.
That is one of the things I really liked about this film. How it covered up some of the gaps of logic, but in a very clever way.
It's a continuation of the first film, just without that films lead characters, which will throw people off.

As for the truck, Since you let the cat out of the bag ... I knew why he didn't use it, I mean if I had wings I wouldn't be riding around in some beat up old truck! But... It still was pretty creepy.
Old 08-30-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, i did put up a spoiler warning. Here's another one- SPOILER- I was just reminded by my friend that the Creeper's truck was last seen in the poilce station, probably impunded as he flew away and slaughtered half a poilice station, the rest of my reasoning can apply after that.
Old 08-30-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally posted by harosa
Why do people have to know everything about a certain character, he's just there doing his thing, deal with it, I never understand people's need to have everything explained to them. It is a monster movie, plain and simple.

While I do understand what you mean for some of us when the character is interesting, learning more is just part of the entertainment process.

If you don't wan't to learn more...then this movie fit the bill.
Old 08-30-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
People have to learn more simply because the logic of this monster existing makes one wonder exactly what makes it tick. the characters get boring if you don't know the motives. You are left wondering exactly what the background is. this is like saying "Jason needs to kill campers to survive" and leaving it at that.. You are left wondering "WHY?" just random questions that should have any sort of answer.
Old 08-30-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that the fact that this isnt A) a run of the mill serial killer or B) a laughing, mocking Freddy Type should be enough to appease people looking for something new and take the journey like the people in the movie- trying to figure out what the Creeper is exactly. I think its refreshing that we're in the same boat as the people in not knowing what the hell is going on and what to do next.
Old 08-31-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A ho-hum sequel. It had some fun parts and some bad ones too. I don't regret seeing it, but it really was a huge backward step from the original. No truck, no "Jeepers, creepers" song, and the creeper wasn't in it that much-just gays and racists.

The parts I liked were:
-anything with the creeper
-the ending
-the new mythology: Every 23rd Spring...

The parts I didn't like:
-the whole cast of human characters
-the girl who recieved "visions" thru her dreams (sloppy way of putting in exposition)
-no scary/gory

It wasn't the worst horror film this year, but it isn't in the same league as 28 Days Later, May, House of 1k Corpses, or F vs. J.

Grade: C
Old 09-02-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I expect this series to die with this installment - if it doesn't do that, then it'll be a straight to video franchise from here on out.
Old 09-02-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a great film...but I was entertained.

My complaint:

********SPOILER*************************

It is not clear what happened to some of the characters. Did Izzy die when the tuck exploded or did he crawl out? What happened to the girl who was thrown out of the same tuck?
Old 09-02-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SPOILER----------------------My guess is that Izzy died since they didnt show him again, I say the girl lived, didnt look too closely at the end to see if she was among the kids at the end with the truck.
Old 09-04-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

SPOILER'S AHEAD!!!!!!!!! DO NOT READ, IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE FILM!!!!!!

Alright, here let me address a couple of things.

First off, for the discussion of the film. I thought it was medicore and a complete let down. Anyone who enjoyed the original, knew it worked due to the character being a mysterious creature . It was an extremely decent modern creature-feature. This one took everything about the first that worked and threw it away. In the meantime, it took everything about the first that didn't work and pumped it up.

We get some of the worse actors possible. The kids in this movie are terrible and I don't remember any of their names, 'cept "Izzy" and I'm not sure about that one. Yet, I can still remember the names of the young actor / actress in the original. Why? Because they had decent characters and they done the roles justice. Go figure.

Meanwhile, the idea seemed to be with the sequel to pump up the creature and add nothing to it at the same time. Sure, we get to see more of the Creeper, but for what? Over half the time he is CGI flying about a screen, which isn't very satisfying, if you ask me. The other bit of time is spent with him making funny faces like smiling and making a pretend "finger-gun" to one is his soon to be victims. It's obvious they lost touch with what made the first one so good.

The plot holes are beyond illogical. First off, when the farmers son goes missing, why didn't he call the cops? Instead, him and his other son decide to make a big frickin' harpon gun. What?!? What inspired this?!?!? Then later on, we see the Creepers drop on the bus and shatter every window, except the biggest windows. The ones most likely to shatter didn't - but ah., they couldn't as it would give our dumb and young victims a means of escape! Brilliant! And even later on in the film, we see two kids sititng in the middle of a damn field and when the other one comes up and suggests he found an escape, they blow him off! Sure, they eventually go, but the scene was just terrible...Oh and when they do go - will please someone explain this. When did gravity cease to exists? You know what I'm talkin about, namely the scene with the truck and the black guy is in the bed of it. The driver keeps screaming "get down" (while he throws the girl OUT of a truck that is suppose to be goin' as fast as it can) . The Creeper proceeds to go through the truck when the driver slams the breaks on, the truck flips over and over at least three times - mean while the black guy who is in the back "got down" and in the process saved himself! Yes , he's A-OK, 'cept for a broken leg. And while we are in the process of talking about trucks, let's address the fact that the truck with the harpon gun got totally screwed up and flipped but ten mintues later we see it all just fine and being drove. The harpon gun is even back on it, in perfect shape. Yes, the same harpon gun that clearly broke off when the creeper took the truck up and dropped it (yes, I know that sounds dumb..) .

Oh and the CG was terrible. The flailing body, the CGI flying Creeper. It was all done in the worse possible way.

I'm sure some of you will say that I just missed Victor's "subtle humor" - but there wasn't any. He had no idea where to take the creature and what to do to live up to the first one. You can tell he tried and came up short. The fact is, this movie was a disgrace and if there is another sequel I can only imagine it being a direct to video release.

Now for this sex in horror movie's topic. I personally don't care if there is male nudity, sure as a straight male I don't like see'ing it - but it doesn't bother me . The simple fact is, female nudity is more common due to the fact slashers / horrors have always been aimed towards the male gender.. The problem I see with Jeepers Creepers 2 is the fact that the director / writer is a convicted peopdhile and the movie featured tons of gay-undertones. If I was a young male actor on the set, there is no way I would of done the things the film had the male actors do. Number one, they ran around without shirts almost the whole movie. There was the whole "gay discussion" and later on, we even see the kids taking a piss next to each other. Did you notice this special attetnions with the female's? No. This movie clearly had gay-undertones and the fact that the writer / director is a convicted peodphile doesn't make me feel good about the undertones.
Old 09-04-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by LivingINClip
The problem I see with Jeepers Creepers 2 is the fact that the director / writer is a convicted peopdhile and the movie featured tons of gay-undertones. If I was a young male actor on the set, there is no way I would of done the things the film had the male actors do. Number one, they ran around without shirts almost the whole movie. There was the whole "gay discussion" and later on, we even see the kids taking a piss next to each other. Did you notice this special attetnions with the female's? No. This movie clearly had gay-undertones and the fact that the writer / director is a convicted peodphile doesn't make me feel good about the undertones.
So, would you have not had problems with the "gay undertones" if the director was not a convicted pedophile?

Also, I doubt any of the male actors were forced to do anything they did not want to do.

I don't condone Salva's molestation actions in any way...but it was refreshing to see (of age) males used as sex objects instead of females.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.