Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonderful Days (Korean Animation) - 4/9/03 (R3)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who may have seen trailers for this or indeed the feature itself will be glad to know it's released in September in Korea.
Am looking forward to checking it out as the animation looks superb (content is lacking slightly from reports i've gathered) although it didn't do too well at the Korean Box Office by all accounts.

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=11654
Old 08-28-03, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the heads up rick. i'm psyched to see this one.
Old 08-28-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Me to!!!
Old 08-29-03, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ill definately be getting this in Sept.
Old 08-29-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been reading this thread since I first saw the DVD up for pre-order on Koreandvds.com:

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...b=5&o=&fpart=1

It seems there were a lot of people underwhelmed by it, both anime fans and Koreans alike. I also read a couple web reviews of it, and while they said the visuals were great, the story was MIA.

I'm wondering if I should wait for it. The concensus is the animation is decent when compared to other Korean animation, but pretty much average when compared to Japanese animation. I'm thinking if it's worth watching, some US company will pick up the rights to distribute an R1 release, and maybe I should just get it then.

Jeremy
Old 08-29-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea, after you tack on shipping its about $35. May have to pick this up in a trade. I have Swallowtail Butterfly to offer for it.
Old 08-30-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trade Swallowtail Butterfly!!!??? I just watched it last week and would never do such a ridiculous thing! But that's me...
Old 09-09-03, 02:39 AM

More details are here :

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/16194.html
Old 09-09-03, 09:07 AM
Banned

Just orderd mine for $20.99 ($3.50 for shipping) from MrKwang. He's having a special price on it only this week. He's shipping it today before the holidays.
Old 09-09-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YesAsia has it for $20.99 + $2.99 shipping. That's where I ordered my copy just now.
Old 09-09-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about this - if any of you guys get it and end up not liking it, maybe I'll take it off your hands.

Jeremy
Old 09-09-03, 06:08 PM

Review of the film:

http://www.koreanfilm.org/kfilm03.html#wonderful

I would tend to take Darcy Paquet's reviews into consideration since he's pretty much a fixture in Korean film circles. I too was looking forward to this film, but was less-than-anticipatory after reading the review.

Sounds like it's yet another "style over substance" production...
Old 09-09-03, 06:10 PM

I hear this animated Korean film is a better experience:

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/d...views/2282.php
Old 09-09-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shadowpuppet
Review of the film:

http://www.koreanfilm.org/kfilm03.html#wonderful

I would tend to take Darcy Paquet's reviews into consideration since he's pretty much a fixture in Korean film circles. I too was looking forward to this film, but was less-than-anticipatory after reading the review.

Sounds like it's yet another "style over substance" production...
Yeah, like I said, if it's worth watching you can bet some R1 company would pick it up. Judging from how poorly it did in the box office, I'm sure the producers would like to licence it in other regions to increase exposure and sales. The R1 has some pretty animation-crazy fanboys who will pick up any big animation production, so I'm sure this would do well here. As well as the Final Fantasy movie, anyway.

I've been waiting for My Beautiful Girl, Mari to come in at GreenCine for some time now, ever since they wrote a recommendation about it. It's cheap enough at DVDAsian I might just buy it sight unseen.

Elysium, on the other hand, has got me a little more than curious. God bless the International DVD forums...

Jeremy
Old 09-09-03, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by jrutz
...Elysium, on the other hand, has got me a little more than curious. God bless the International DVD forums...

Jeremy
Anyone have any info on this at all? Nothing on the 'Net other than listings for the DVD...
Old 09-09-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another animated korean film that may be worth checking out:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=8JsrsSsY
Old 09-09-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RichDB10
Another animated korean film that may be worth checking out:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvda...ml?id=8JsrsSsY
Here's a thread all about it:

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Jeremy
Old 09-09-03, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by shadowpuppet
Anyone have any info on this at all?
I do, I do!

I picked up Elysium at EThaiCD because I thought it was a different CG animation extravaganza from overseas.....I was probably thinking Wonderful Days. I was quite surprised to discover that the CG was not exactly movie-quality. The quality of the CG is actually not much better than the real-time generated graphics in, say, the latest XBox title. Basically, we're talking TV-quality CG, and not the Babylon 5 kind, but more the Reboot kind. No exaggeration. Characters have virtually no facial movement and the "lip-synching" is practically puppet-like. Action looks a bit strange because explosions are canned rather than interacting with the environment. When one robot is knocked to the ground, little triangles of destruction are kicked up. Yes, triangles. It's quite comical. Character design is also disappointing. Mech suits are kinda cool, but the characters all share the same basic face.

Also, and this could just be my DVD, but there are weird frame rate issues at certain points, in particular the beginning. And I'm not talking DVD stutter. I'm talking PC gaming-like frame rate drops when lots of stuff occurs on screen. And yes, this is on a standalone DVD player. Never seen anything quite like it, but since I don't have a second copy to compare I'll bite my tongue.

So yeah...order at your risk. The DVD was only $12.50 with free shipping and it's got an English dub (with a stereo-like 5.1). But unless you can't get enough of sci-fi CG no matter how generic it is, I'd recommend a pass.
Old 09-10-03, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jrutz
I've been waiting for My Beautiful Girl, Mari to come in at GreenCine for some time now, ever since they wrote a recommendation about it. It's cheap enough at DVDAsian I might just buy it sight unseen.

Only $5 at DDDHouse.
Old 09-10-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jonathan.e
Only $5 at DDDHouse.
That's the HK Mega Star release, not the Enter One Korean release. Can anyone comment on the quality of the HK release?

Jeremy
Old 09-10-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kanedaa on theDVDforums.co.uk
The HK release of Mari is superb and if its really just £3.50 now then you should go for it without hesitation. It basically has the same AV quality as the Korean release but loses the Audio Commentary (in Korean) and Making-of (in Korean, and can be d/l from the official Mari website) in favour of a Cantonese audio track.
Old 09-10-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jonathan.e
Sweet, thanks!
Old 09-20-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must say that I am definitely glad I ordered this one!
Old 10-22-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just ordered wonderful days from yesasia. hopefully, it'll get here soon. picked up the soundtrack as well b/c i like the song for the little video at their website.
Old 10-22-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by young
i just ordered wonderful days from yesasia. hopefully, it'll get here soon. picked up the soundtrack as well b/c i like the song for the little video at their website.
I picked this up the other day but have not watched it yet, most likely this weekend. The packaging is really nice on this release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.