Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

DVD Profiler (Free Version) has # of titles limit?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-03, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get this message that tells me that when I try to upload my collection online. It tells me I should unlock titles (I have none locked) or buy the other version. Is there a way to get around this without paying the money?
Old 08-28-03, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I've never recieved that message and I do have some titles locked (I have the free version as well).
Old 08-28-03, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many titles do you have locked?
Old 08-28-03, 06:53 AM
Defunct Account

It is my understanding that there is a limit to the # of DVDs you can upload to their site. I think it's 400-500 or so, but don't quote me.

Go ahead and pay for it. It's a great program and it's very reasonable. You've got a link to your collection (on their site) in your .sig, that should be worth something to you.

-Videophile
Old 08-28-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't paid for it and have around 550 uploaded. Nothing wrong with supporting them if you can afford to toss a few bucks their way, though.
Old 08-28-03, 08:13 AM

I'm not so sure about those limits -- I have 1203 titles in my collection. I got that message when I tried to upload my collection from my computer at home the other day, but was able to upload the collection from my computer at work without any problem.
Old 08-28-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe there's a limit on size in Kilobytes, not number of discs. It consumes more disc space if you customize your profiles.
Old 08-28-03, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Disc-Flipper
I believe there's a limit on size in Kilobytes, not number of discs. It consumes more disc space if you customize your profiles.
It also consumes more space if you do not have up-to-date profiles. In Profiler go to Online, Refresh Updated Profiles from IVS... update all changed profiles and images and then try uploading again.

But the price is very reasonable for a great product, so why not register while you're at it?

Last edited by jim_cook87; 08-28-03 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-28-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mookiemeister
How many titles do you have locked?
Around 20. I like for my TV sets to be a certain way and everytime you refresh, it gets all screwy so I locked them.
Old 08-28-03, 11:11 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by videophile
It is my understanding that there is a limit to the # of DVDs you can upload to their site. I think it's 400-500 or so, but don't quote me.
Well, I just broke 700 last night, and I didnt have any problems - and they havent gotten a dime from me.
Old 08-28-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can afford so many titles that you reach the limit on the free version, is the $25 to register really going to hurt your wallet that much? Skip a movie next Tuesday and just pay for the dang thing.
Old 08-28-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have 724 titles currently in the database. I don't have any locked, and the database is always up-to-date, and I have never gotten that message.

I'm sure that it's the 20 titles you have locked.
Old 08-28-03, 12:41 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by MEJHarrison
If you can afford so many titles that you reach the limit on the free version, is the $25 to register really going to hurt your wallet that much? Skip a movie next Tuesday and just pay for the dang thing.
Well, thank you for your concern about my finances but I'll ask you to mind your own business.

Anyway, it wasnt a statment of bragging - "Look how I'm screwing The Man by not buying the program". I was just saying that the free version can support more than 500 discs.

Also, I think that the free version can support more than 20 locked discs. I've got quite a few locked off the way I like, and havent had a problem yet.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 08-28-03 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-28-03, 01:04 PM

I have 400+ with the images locked and no problems
Old 08-28-03, 01:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Anyway, it wasnt a statment of bragging - "Look how I'm screwing The Man by not buying the program". I was just saying that the free version can support more than 500 discs.
I think it was the "...and they havent gotten a dime from me.".

I ain't judging you, but the phrasing of that last part did make it lean towards bragging.

Just an observation.
Old 08-28-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Well, thank you for your concern about my finances but I'll ask you to mind your own business.
My comment wasn't directed at you in particular. I'm just saying in general that if a person has so many titles that they hit the limit on DVD Profiler (which is pretty high according to most people here), then it's likely that they have lots of disposible income (obviously excepting life changing events such as a lay-off, marriage, having a baby, buying a house, etc.). If you're one of those people who can afford 5, 10, 15 or more new titles every week, then the $25 registration fee shouldn't be an issue. It's little more than the cost of one movie. And well worth the cost if you ask me.

I did not mean to be insulting to you or anyone else. It's just comments like

Originally posted by Icon769
Is there a way to get around this without paying the money?
that I find disturbing (I realize you didn't make that quote). I don't know his or your personal circumstances, so I can't make that judgement call for either of you. But we all know that there are people who can afford it who are too cheap to do so. What's $25 when you're sitting on a collection with a retail value of $10,000 (that's only 500 movies at $20) and you're spending $100+ every Tuesday for more? That may not describe you, but I've seen topics like this enough times to know that it does describe some people who don't want to shell out the $25.

At any rate, I'm sorry if I offended you (either of you actually). If it matters, I only have 147 titles but I wanted the extra functionality so I passed on a movie one week and paid for my registration.
Old 08-28-03, 07:11 PM

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong not wanting to pay. DVD Profiler offers a free version. So what's the problem? Despite having a large collection (to some) I don't feel I have a large disposable income. I rather spend that money on other things. Now if DVD Profiler made it mandatory to have to pay, then I gladly would, but given a choice I made the one I felt was best for me.

It also consumes more space if you do not have up-to-date profiles. In Profiler go to Online, Refresh Updated Profiles from IVS... update all changed profiles and images and then try uploading again.
I just tried this, and it now uploads without a hitch.
Old 08-28-03, 09:13 PM

Can someone answer this Profiler inquiry? .......

I tend to never "refresh the profiles", because I'm afraid all the extra work I have put into changing tiny little things (like Capitalizing each word & eliminating "Special Edition" many times when the title is in reality NOT an SE) will be wiped out (and revert back to the way I don't want it) if I "update".

Anybody else have this fear of having YOUR own corrected data wiped out by updating?
Old 08-28-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by davidvp
Can someone answer this Profiler inquiry? .......

I tend to never "refresh the profiles", because I'm afraid all the extra work I have put into changing tiny little things (like Capitalizing each word & eliminating "Special Edition" many times when the title is in reality NOT an SE) will be wiped out (and revert back to the way I don't want it) if I "update".

Anybody else have this fear of having YOUR own corrected data wiped out by updating?
This is why people (like myself) lock certain titles. If you've made corrections to a title then lock it. When you refresh the profiles, it won't touch the one's you have locked. I get this way with TV box sets: I have them set up so that it's Title: Season # and for some reason that's just not how it's set up in Profiler's system.
Old 08-29-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Icon769
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong not wanting to pay. DVD Profiler offers a free version. So what's the problem?
No problem. That's why there's a free version. And had I bothered to check out your collection before opening my mouth, I wouldn't have misinterpreted your original comment. My fault. I thought you had reached the limit and were looking for a way around it without paying (which I've actually seen happen).

Anyway, I'm glad you found a solution. Sorry if things got out of hand.
Old 01-15-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know how long it takes for premium registration to kick in? I paid the fee about two weeks ago and it hasn't switched over yet.
Old 01-15-04, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by NitroJMS
Does anyone know how long it takes for premium registration to kick in? I paid the fee about two weeks ago and it hasn't switched over yet.
immediately for me, you have to update the product key in your program (tools > reg info) and online as well if you use the online function
best 25$ I ever spent (+the vat I had to pay as well grrr), especially the higher resolution pictures were worth it for me, plus the upcomming releases view
Old 01-15-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, what's the deal? Is it a one-time registration fee of $25 and you're in for life? Or is it an annual thing?

K
Old 01-15-04, 09:58 PM

One time and that's it
Old 01-15-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just to concur, it is well worth the $25.00.

For a one time payment, the collection is then limitless, the cover scans are much superior, and the ads are killed and replaced with additional profiler room for the program.

I upgraded to the Premium within 2 days of registering for the free one. It is the only program I use, and am very happy with it.

I always update the profiles from the database, and upload to the site every time I add a DVD, but that is just me.

I realize that at times, some small minutia is changed, but it doesn't really bother me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.