Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Renting non R1 DVDs?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Renting non R1 DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-03, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting non R1 DVDs?

Another thread asked about Korean DVDs, and I thought that was a great idea. Are there any renting establishments, online or not, that rent non-R1 DVD?

I'd love to see what a disc looks like before plunking down a large sum of money to own a "foreign" DVD.

Northern Virginia? DC? online?
Old 08-27-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I asked this same question about a month ago, and it sounds like there may be an international Netflix-type service in the works.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=306428

-Brett
Old 08-27-03, 11:44 AM

In New York several Kim's video locations have very large numbers of non R1 titles for rent, but not by mail unfortunately.
Old 08-27-03, 12:14 PM

Brett-
Thanks- Checked other thread and the link you found in KY and liked what I saw. I hope they do mailings. I'd love a place like that near me.
Old 08-27-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm... I wonder how much capital would be needed to start a new online non-R1 DVD rental service? Hmm...
Old 08-27-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by unclehulot
In New York several Kim's video locations have very large numbers of non R1 titles for rent, but not by mail unfortunately.
Yeah, but I won't rent from them because they are mostly boots. And they sell boots, at least in the East Village location. Bleh!

Jeremy
Old 08-27-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Renting non R1 DVDs?

Originally posted by jblackie
Another thread asked about Korean DVDs, and I thought that was a great idea. Are there any renting establishments, online or not, that rent non-R1 DVD?

I'd love to see what a disc looks like before plunking down a large sum of money to own a "foreign" DVD.

Northern Virginia? DC? online?
i haven't seen DVD's per say
but I have seen several Video rental/dvd places. Most of them have the big hits r1 on dvd but also have non-r1 on VHS. which if you just want to watch might be an option.
only thing: I don't believe the tapes have english subs
there are 2 such stores in centreville
one at the intersection of 29/28 behind Super H Mart
and the other off 29 next to copelands
Old 08-27-03, 08:18 PM
Rest in Peace

I can't rent but I own 242 DVD from Regions 2(UK) or (AU), to play on my mod progressive scan player.
Old 08-29-03, 10:16 AM

Jblackie, what types of foreign movies are you looking to rent? Just korean & HK flix?
Old 08-29-03, 05:52 PM

Looking at the Brit R2 and a couple of German R2s, and R4 . If there were some good Japanese Kurosawas with sub titles that made sense, I'd dive in there, too. Got some of those from eBay and they are poor at best.
Old 08-29-03, 06:04 PM

Unfortunately, all the Kurosawas from Japan are sans English subs. Same goes for Godzilla and most of the anime. But Toshiba did put a a couple of nice box sets of Gamera with English subs. The individual releases don't have subs.

There are a ton of Brit R2 tv shows I'd love to get.
Old 08-30-03, 09:00 AM

ditto
Old 09-01-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not going to help many people, but there is a store in West L.A. that has a real nice supply of non-R1 disks for rent and they seem to have more each time I go in. The store is called CineFile and it's on the corner of Santa Monica Blvd. and Sawtelle, right next to the NuArt.

EDIT: Corrected store name. Also, I just verified from their website cinefile.com that they do NOT do rental-by-mail.

Last edited by CrumpsBrother; 09-01-03 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-01-03, 01:46 PM

really?

Originally posted by jrutz
Yeah, but I won't rent from them because they are mostly boots. And they sell boots, at least in the East Village location. Bleh!

Jeremy
That's the first I've heard of this. Got the Apu trilogy there (Artificial Eye from UK), and it's no boot. If you're talking some of the Asian stuff from HK discs, sure they are crap to begin with, but I don't think they are getting boots of legit UK or European stuff. But please tell your experience.
Old 09-02-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A friend of mine mentioned that he rented Miike's Graveyard Of Honor @ Kim's. Since it hasn't been released with English subtitles in any region, it's obviously a boot.
Old 09-02-03, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by ehonauer
A friend of mine mentioned that he rented Miike's Graveyard Of Honor @ Kim's. Since it hasn't been released with English subtitles in any region, it's obviously a boot.
Fine, there's ONE example. Is that a good enough reason to stay away from titles we know have been legitimately released, turn people off from one of the few places in the country to rent lots of R2, and slam them in such a manner? At LEAST they rent, so if you are concerned about a title you are at worst out the rental price -- and those of us who don't want to BUY every last R2 title of interest have SOMEWHERE to go.
Old 09-02-03, 03:36 PM

yep. most of the boots i've seen at kim's have been asian films. ones like miike films, battle royale, the ring series, jet li stuff, etc...

but on the positive side, they do carry multiple versions of many films. for example when i was up there this summer i found they had 4 different versions of battle royale for sale. 2 of em were boots and the other 2 were legit...... so as always ymmv
Old 09-02-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by unclehulot
Fine, there's ONE example. Is that a good enough reason to stay away from titles we know have been legitimately released, turn people off from one of the few places in the country to rent lots of R2, and slam them in such a manner? At LEAST they rent, so if you are concerned about a title you are at worst out the rental price -- and those of us who don't want to BUY every last R2 title of interest have SOMEWHERE to go.
Whoa, dude. Cut back on the caffeine...
Old 09-03-03, 10:30 AM

d'oh!

Whoa, dude. Cut back on the caffeine...

well, it was a pretty good imitation of Peter Finch in "Network", eh? oops.

I just want to know where the f&*% to go to rent my R2. Aaarrgghh!