Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Simpsons DVD Releases - A Poll

Community
Search
View Poll Results: How Do You Want Your Simpsons Released?
I Want 'Em Quicker... Screw The Features!
39.02%
They're Doing Just Fine The Way They Are
60.98%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-03, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would you prefer them released?

Me, i'm all for a M*A*S*H-style release, ASAP, no features.

What about you guys?

I know some of you LOVE those features, but me I couldn't give a hoot... I mean, we know they're slow, so let's not get into that, I just wanted to know what people thought.

Last edited by vedderstapp; 08-27-03 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it as it is. If only my syndicate would play more seasons 4-9 episodes, I wouldn't be begging too much for the box sets to come out quicker.
Old 08-27-03, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
In the long run, with Futurama being cancelled I'm sure they will have a lot more free time to put them together... Hopefully we will see Seasons 4 and 5 next year.
Old 08-27-03, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Simpsons is my all-time favorite show and I'd love the opportunity to watch some of my favorite eps...from the past few years. I love the commentary tracks on the dvd's, but I would rather have all the episodes in my collection sooner rather than in 2020(or whenever they would finish releasing all the seasons). I say do a season every other month--6 per year and we would have the remainder of the sets by the end of next year. All that I would ask is that they redo the pictures--screw the 5.1 sound. I couldn't care less if The Simpsons had 5.1, just as long as I can hear it ok.
Old 08-27-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
The Simpsons comes on nearly 20 times a week where I live. If I want to watch featureless, plain episodes, I can tune them on anytime. I don't need to buy them.

However, tack on great audio and video quality, plus fantastic commentaries, and there's something worth buying. It would be nice if they came out faster, but not at the cost of the great extras.
Old 08-27-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'd like to have them quicker, certainly, but with episodes and extras and commentaries, they can take a while to go through. So not too quick. Personally, I don't get a lot out of the commentaries, but I know a lot of people do. I can catch the Simpsons about 11 times a week, and for some reason they are currently playing Season 3 in syndication, so that has lessened my urgent desire to get S3. Yes, you get more with the DVD release, and I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but right now I can't rationalize thirtyfive bucks for a show whose episodes are currently on my PVR.
That's the same thing with Futurama--Cartoon Network overplayed it during Adult Swim, so I didn't feel the need to buy the set since I have seen each of those episodes at least 2ce this year.
Old 08-27-03, 07:30 AM

I'm all for the commentaries and special features (I really want them to include all the deleted scenes there are, hopefully sometimes splicing them back into the episodes), but the 5.1 mixes really are pointless.
Old 08-27-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never listen to commentaries and rarely bother with extras. Just give me the episodes.
Old 08-27-03, 07:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I would prefer they do the releases correct the first time, rather than double dip.

And I'm all for including deleted scenes, but NOT cut back into the episodes.
Old 08-27-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At this rate it will be around a decade before all are on DVD
Old 08-27-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Class316
At this rate it will be around a decade before all are on DVD
Which is exactly why I say screw the features. By the time all the sets are out there will be a new format that we'll have to purchase them on.
Old 08-27-03, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Which is exactly why I say screw the features. By the time all the sets are out there will be a new format that we'll have to purchase them on.
Read the liner notes from the Season 1 set -- that is exactly what Matt Groening says!
Old 08-27-03, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by matome
I never listen to commentaries and rarely bother with extras. Just give me the episodes.
You are missing some excellent commentaries.
Old 08-27-03, 09:45 AM

I have a hard time believing that the commentaries and features are what's slowing down these releases. The commentaries can be recorded in a day, and the special features are short and relatively few. Look at Futurama...two seasons in around three months and they all have commentaries, deleted scenes, etc.

I think there are other reasons why the Simpsons are taking so long. Legal reasons are my top guess.

So my vote is I want them quicker...AND with the special features.

Last edited by hugo1000faces; 08-27-03 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 09:51 AM

Yes because I've read somewhere that They already recorded the Simpsons Commentary up to season 5 or 6 can't remember exacly.

And If you listen to the commentary on Futurama Volume 2 at one point they say the year "2001" that they were recording.
Old 08-27-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since they are on TV about 5 times a day I wouldn't buy the DVDs without the features. I was glad when I heard they finally have some cast commentaries this time around.

If it has been the commentaries holding up the releases then they just need to use some different people. There have to be enough people that worked on these that they could get 3 people in a room with a few days notice.
Old 08-27-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I'd rather get them faster than pack them with features I don't care for. Fortunately, my local station is going to start showing a 3rd Simpsons per day (now 6, 6:30, and 11) starting Monday.
Old 08-27-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I find the Simpsons and Futurama commentaries pretty entertaining, much more so than others. I say keep em.
Old 08-27-03, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I say do a season every other month--6 per year and we would have the remainder of the sets by the end of next year. All that I would ask is that they redo the pictures--screw the 5.1 sound. I couldn't care less if The Simpsons had 5.1, just as long as I can hear it ok.
13 seasons @ 40 bucks each? That's 600 bucks! That would price the show righ out of the market for the casual buyer. No way that the market could bear that kind of release schedual.

Naw - one every 4 or 6 months is just fine.
Old 08-27-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I want the commentaries. So far i've watched all the episodes with commentaries, and they're really interesting. Nothing like learning random factoids about the best show ever
Old 08-27-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

everyone who is a fan already has all the episodes on VHS. The extras are MUCH appreciated. I love knowing extra information about how it was written and the environment around the time period when the episode was created. Plus it's fun to hear them talk.

If it turns out (and it sounds like that from the intro Groening wrote) that they don't have much to say about an episode anymore, maybe they can just do commentaries on certain episodes that they would have something to say about.

Either way, I think they're important.
Old 08-27-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a fan?
Old 08-27-03, 11:43 AM

It's just not the commentaries that are holding the season sets up. Remember people, these guys do have other projects that they work on. It takes six months alone to make one episode of the Simpsons.
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the Simpsons but they are doing fine the way they are. I have Season 1 but STILL haven't got around to buying Season 2.

I was more focused on X-Files Seasons to ever pick up Simpsons. I will get around to all of them eventually though.
DVD Talk Legend

The commentaries can go for all I care. Stuff like the Butterfinger commercials, Thanksgiving day parade, and archive making-of footage is cool, and I'll check it out...but that should take no more than a week to compile. I suspect music issues do account for some of the delays, but there's really no reason for them to not clear the music for future seasons as far in advanced as they can.

I know some may feel differently, but if commentaries are holding them up, they gotta go. Or keep them for just a few episodes. There's no way I'm spending 12 hours with each set's commentaries listening to the same things again and again. From the few I have heard, they're really not worth the time even for diehard fans, unless you've got a commentary fetish.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.