Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Your 8/26 DVD stories...

Your 8/26 DVD stories...

Old 08-26-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your 8/26 DVD stories...

I didn't realize until I got to my Best Buy this afternoon after work that this was a pretty big DVD day...up there with the Black Friday's and such.

Besides a lot of people buying Animal House and Simpsons Season 3, everyone had a copy of Lord of the Rings: TTT in their hand. They must've had 1,000 copies on display, in every conceivable place. I'd NEVER seen anything like it before.

I got asked by several folks which version to get, and most listened to my widescreen advice. Either way, they've must've made a KILLING today on this movie.
Old 08-26-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I was working the video game section at Best Buy, a kid came up to me and asked me what the difference between widescreen and full screen was, and I gave him the best explanation I could. After I was finished explaining it to him, he goes, "So widescreen is better?" to which I replied, "Yes." He took his full screen copy of The Two Towers back to the display, picked up a widescreen copy and went off to pay. Hopefully, I was able to reach him at such an impressionable age. Of course, who knows if when he gets home his parents will tell him otherwise. "Why did you get the widescreen one? We don't have a widescreen TV, honey. Didn't they have it in full screen?" *sigh* Everyone else I saw pick it up seemed to pick up the full screen version. Also, no less than 4 people asked me if we had a copy of Chicago in full screen, each holding a widescreen copy in their hand. Since it's my job to please the customer, I recluctantly (internally anyway; externally I was happy and polite) showed them where they could find it. All the ones on display are widescreen, and the full screen ones are in the aisles. Each one, as they walked away, I thought to myself, "Don't you know I'm judging you right now?!" Probably not, obviously, nor would they care anyway. Oh well.

K

Last edited by Cornelius1047; 08-26-03 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-26-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my only story is I'm very happy with the 12 dvds I bought.....but pissed I didnt recieve the other 6 in the mail!! I passed on LOTR2T...waiting for the extended. told a few other customers about the other edition....and they then passed also.
Old 08-26-03, 11:15 PM

Man oh Man, I seen quiet few people buy widescreen versions, but those were the young late 20's and 30's people like myself, but Man i seen the older and soccer mom buying Fullscreen, and I just had to laugh, I mean few years from now they will have the bars on the sides, which i think its harder to get used to then bars on the top and bottom really.
Old 08-26-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went and got TTT today at Fry's... didnt realize it until after I walked out of the store that there was a defect in the cover art. A black line ran from the tower all the way to the lettering on the top of the cover. I took it back to Fry's, they looked at me just a little funny but said go ahead and get another one. So I went over to the section where it was on the shelf and all the WS versions had this line!!! The FS did not, so I checked a box that was sitting on the floor with more copies and this box was perfect, the WS versions were clean without the line through them. One guy picked up a defect cover copy and I told him to check the cover. He said "I dont care, I worry about the discs." So he picked up a bad one and when I turned around I saw him switch it like I did. Crazy day but well worth it after watching Disc 2 just a few minutes ago... great buy!!! Bring on ROTK!
Old 08-26-03, 11:47 PM

I went to the Navy Exchange with a military relative. We left at 8:30, it opened at 9. I was the first one into the electronics section just to find out they had a bunch of boxes that they hadn't put out on the shelf yet. I waited, patiently, and the second that the woman put out the TTT DVDs, I grabbed a nice copy (no wrinkled packaging), just to realize it was FULLSCREEN! D'OH! I went back, got a widescreen one and waited patiently for the lady to unpack the other boxes. Well she kept moving the current dvds on the shelf for about 5 minutes and then I just asked her if she had a copy of Simpsons season 3 in a box, and she dug in and found one. The Exchange has this price-match (and no tax) so I paid 14 for TTT and 35 for Simpsons (shelf prices were 23 and 46). The woman at the register took about 10 minutes because she couldn't get the details of the ad straight, but in the end I won and got a discount! She also asked me if I was sure I wanted widescreen and I said "why would you want full?". She told me that widescreen cuts out most of the movie and that she only buys full. I straightened her out and the guy behind me over heard and put his foolscreen copy down and got a widescreen. YES!!! TWO MORE CONVERTS!
Old 08-27-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by arthur_dent
She also asked me if I was sure I wanted widescreen and I said "why would you want full?". She told me that widescreen cuts out most of the movie and that she only buys full. I straightened her out and the guy behind me over heard and put his foolscreen copy down and got a widescreen. YES!!! TWO MORE CONVERTS!
Judging by the numbers, we're making far more than a dent. What really gets me is how people actually believe this nonsense about widescreen cutting out most of the movie. What?! Why would they do that? What would be the purpose? Seriously, what is the logic in this? Oh, wait. I forgot that full screen exists... See, the logic there (which is still quite inane) is that it fills up your TV screen. Widescreen (on a regular TV, and sometimes on a widescreen TV) does not. People have lost their ability to use their friggin' brains. I'm going to try to make it a point to teach a person each day about why widescreen is better, while I'm working. This insanity must stop!!

K
Old 08-27-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
I took it back to Fry's, they looked at me just a little funny.... One guy picked up a defect cover copy and I told him to check the cover. He said "I dont care, I worry about the discs."
Next time they look at you funny or some guy says that, just be like, "Well, why don't I go out and put a long gash in the side of your car with my key? I mean, I'm pretty sure the car will still run and that's all that matters, right?"

K
Old 08-27-03, 12:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The most significant DVD story that happened to me today is I found out Sandbaggers #3 was coming out next month and Amazon.ca had it for a pretty cheap pre-order (http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....ht=sandbaggers)

WRT actual DVDs from this week TT is the only one that interested me and I got that in the mail No muss, no fuss and the people at the post office even know me by name now
Old 08-27-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I went into work at 6pm, and it was packed. I didn't think it was going to be that bad. We did double our usual business.

Today seemed to be a monster release day, and it seems like its only the tip of the iceberg.
Old 08-27-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, yeah, also today, in the back, I saw the Saved By The Bell box set. Looks nice enough. I'd pick it up if I hadn't already seen every episode like fifty times. Maybe when there's a pricedrop sometime. Also saw A Man Apart. No interest, no comment. We did get these in pretty early though.

K
Old 08-27-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
"Oh, yeah, also today, in the back, I saw the Saved By The Bell box set. Looks nice enough. I'd pick it up if I hadn't already seen every episode like fifty times"

Any word on some special features?

As for my 8/26 story, I found a Robocop: Criterion Collection DVD today, while I was wasting time before work. It was in the horror section, under P. I went in the store planning on spending $20 (LOTR) but I left spending $60.

Dean
Old 08-27-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My 8/26 story is one of pure frustration.... I can't find a copy of MR. SHOW - COMPLETE THIRD SEASON.... anywhere!!!! Add on to that, The Storyteller Collection also seems to be MIA in Canada so far (or at least my area)... DAMN...I was really looking forward to both of these.... and couldn't find Amazon Women On the Moon yet (well, one store has it, but it's extremely extremely overpriced...bastards)... so basically, I only got a fraction of what I was hoping to pick up today...

MATT
Old 08-27-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
Next time they look at you funny or some guy says that, just be like, "Well, why don't I go out and put a long gash in the side of your car with my key? I mean, I'm pretty sure the car will still run and that's all that matters, right?"

K
OK, isn't that pushing it a litttle bit far? Hey, I'm anal about my DVD cases too, but comparing a keyed DVD case and a keyed car? Some people here really need to relax a bit
Old 08-27-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PJsig08
OK, isn't that pushing it a litttle bit far? Hey, I'm anal about my DVD cases too, but comparing a keyed DVD case and a keyed car? Some people here really need to relax a bit
I'm actually not that anal about DVD cases and such. I'm fairly obsessive compulsive, but not so much with that stuff anymore. I'm perfectly relaxed. But the thing is, if you were at a car lot and you saw two cars, exactly the same, except one had a small dent or whatever, but both were the same price, wouldn't you pick the one that didn't have the dent? Same with DVDs. I mean, might as well get the one without the black line, if you have the option, no? And there isn't much difference between a keyed car and a black line on a DVD case other than the obvious price distinction. I mean, to fix that on a car, would cost you a pretty penny, I'm sure. With the DVD, all you'd have to do is get a new one. Even if you had to buy a new one, it would still be relatively cheaper. But my analogy isn't based on the monetary aspects of it, but rather the notion that people should judge you for wanting something to be in the best condition available to you. My car has lots of scratches and crap, but I don't particularly care enough to pay the money to fix it. It's just that, in some ways, DVDs are far more important to my lifestyle than my car's appearance. Now, how my car runs, well, that's another story. It has to work in order for me to drive to the store and pick up my precious DVDs, no? Well, there's always ordering online. But I still gotta drive to work in order to pay for them. My car is my baby, but I care more about how she runs (and feels ) than how she looks. I mean, obviously the less scratches and such the better. And a huge dent would piss me off (that crack in the windshield still annoys me - stupid rock!). But like I said, I love movies, and by that extension, DVDs. So my collection would be the second thing I save when the fire hits my pad. The first would be my guitar.

K
Old 08-27-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only picked up one title today and that was Simpsons Season Three. I picked up one of the copies in the back of the rack to avoid getting a dinged up package but it was no use as I realized that the inner folds of the box were horribly bent and thus, the box was impossible to close correctly. Additionally, the "paper" on the one fold is starting to peel off. I'm definitely going back tomorrow to see if I can just exchange it because of that. After all, why should I hang onto a DVD set that has a horribly damaged box no thanks to me? The discs are what's really important, but I refuse to have damaged goods in my collection. Hopefully BB sees it that way.
Old 08-27-03, 03:03 AM

gee, went to Best buy to pick up poltergeist 2/3. Sales clerk was clueless and thought i kept talkin about the 1st one. I kept saying, "nooo its the mgm one with part 2 and 3. then he said there was 5 in hand, and what do u know, he didnt know where they were. (all the other mgm double features they had plenty of, but of course not poltergeist 2+3) So i got pissed and just picked up Cannibal! The Musical, which is hilarious, and left out of frustration. Sometimes I wonder how they hire such idiots
Old 08-27-03, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy crud, I almost forgot! I actually saw someone pick up From Justin To Kelly on DVD today, to buy!! Of course, it was a little girl, but still. I very much wanted to pick her up and shake her! "What's wrong with you?!" Yeah, I'm ragging on a movie I've never seen, but c'mon, that movie doesn't look fun in the least. Movies made to cash in on a craze never are.

K
Old 08-27-03, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i went to CC.

i picked up LOTR.

i paid.

i left.

whoopee!
Old 08-27-03, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by arthur_dent
I grabbed a nice copy (no wrinkled packaging),
wow nice work! congrats on your successful dvd hunting!
Old 08-27-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Went in, got two copies of TTT, Simpsons Season 3, Family Guy Vol. 1, and Bowling for Columbine. Almost walked out with Futurama Seasons 1 and 2.
Old 08-27-03, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was very disappointed with Walmart yesterday when I went to get my copy of TTT. They had a gigantic display filled to the brim...with fullscreen copies of dvd and vhs. They had one little row down the bottom with a few widescreen copies. While I was standing there looking for the widescreen someone picked up a fullscreen copy and said "fullscreen? Where's the widescreen version? I thought they put this out in widescreen...". This really pissed me off because it's things like this that encourage people to buy fullscreen instead of widescreen. Then again, this IS Walmart so what should I expect?
Old 08-27-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
Holy crud, I almost forgot! I actually saw someone pick up From Justin To Kelly on DVD today, to buy!! Of course, it was a little girl, but still. I very much wanted to pick her up and shake her! "What's wrong with you?!" Yeah, I'm ragging on a movie I've never seen, but c'mon, that movie doesn't look fun in the least. Movies made to cash in on a craze never are.

K
6ft 2 , 212lbs, Male, 35 years old

I got it today and am proud of it! ;-)

Sam
Old 08-27-03, 07:16 AM
Banned

TWO Circuit City stores near me carried ONLY fullscreen copies of The Two Towers. I thought that they might have sold out of widescreen but asking the manager confirmed my suspicions. He told me that they just get what they are sent and they have no control... I let him (and her at the other Circuit City) know that they had lost my purchase. The copies of Animal House were all fullscreen as well. I went to Best Buy to make my purchase. That is really crappy of my Circuit City's... Did anyone else experience this?

The Best Buy employees in my area are real dopes and are doing nothing to help customers uncerstand widescreen. The most common answer when asked what widescreen is comes in this form:

"It fills the widescreen tv. Do you have a widescreen tv? No? Well get the fullscreen version".

That REALLY pisses me off. One customer last week knew about varying aspect ratios and asked the Best Buy employee who caught him off several times saying "All movies fill a widescreen set ENTIRELY". The customer said "What about 2.35 or greater films?" Only to be met with a smile, and "Don't worry, entirely". Further pressing from the customer led to the employee saying: "Well I should probably tell you, in some damn Lucas movies like Star Wars it won't fill the whole screen but that's the only ones it will ever do that in".

What a song and dance of misinformation. I'm sick of employees telling customers that all widescreen dvd's fill a widescreen set or even mentioning widescreen sets when a customer asks about a widescreen dvd. IT helps nothing. Then they get angry customers who want to know why their widescreen movie is not totally filling their screen.
Old 08-27-03, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pish.. I went into CC after work, all was quiet and normal CC bidness.. grab my copy of TTT, paid and left. Twas the only DVD I wanted to buy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.