Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Flying Dragon, Leaping Tiger....

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, the title and cover are lame rip-offs of Crouching Tiger, but the movie is actually a pretty good (if low-budget) standard Hong Kong swordplay flick. Nice to see Sammo Hung and Cheng Pei Pei still kicking butt on-screen more than 30 years after they first started making martial arts movies. As long as you're not expecting the production values of Crouching Tiger or Hero, I think this one would entertain most HK action fans.

Anyone else see this one?
Old 08-26-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
If this is the same movie I remember reading about a year or so ago, this movie actually created it's title before CTHD.

EDIT: Actually, a little searching revealed that this started filming right after the release of CTHD, so I guess I remembered wrong.

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 08-26-03 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-26-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive not yet seen it. I remember hearing about it a while ago. Someone involved with the movie was bashing CTHD and praising their own movie. That really turned me off to seeing this. It might not have been this movie but im pretty sure it was.
Old 08-26-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A sad and pathetic title. Must be a miramax butchered release...
Old 08-27-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I remember reading about this film, back when it was still (apparently) filming (though I may have missread), in Sammo Hung's official website. I wasleft with the impression that it was meant to be a parody of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
Old 08-27-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, it didn't end up as a parody, and in fact it's got a very serious tone with almost no comedy. It's got the usual flaws of early 90's HK period pieces: cheesy synthesizer score, soap-opera melodrama and some choppy editing. But, it's all set in the desert, so it's got some cool cinematography, and there are a lot of great swordfights. I got it for $10.95 at HKflix, and it was worth it for me to see those two stars in action again.
Old 08-27-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Thanks for letting me know, Ky-Fi. I was planning on seeing it even when I thought it was a parody. Now that I know it's mean to be its own film, my interest has gone up a notch.
Old 08-27-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Whew! I thought this was another one of those damn (and painfully unfunny) Leslie Neilson parodies.
Old 08-28-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
Whew! I thought this was another one of those damn (and painfully unfunny) Leslie Neilson parodies.
So very true....how the mighty have fallen!