Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Anyone read Gaiman's 1602?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone read Gaiman's 1602?

I heard about this comic and heard it's decent. Anyone read it? Know how many issues are planned? How's the art?
Old 08-26-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't answer any of your questions yet. But, I ordered it from MidTown Comics and it should be here shortly.

I've been out of comics for a while, but anything by Gaiman would drag me back in a second.
Old 08-26-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't read comics in years, but Gaiman plus "reinventing" certain heros sounds fun.
Old 08-26-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
yeah. I was kinda disappointed in the idea per se..it's been done a number of times in both DC & Marvel-verses..but...it IS Neil Gaiman.

Anyways...I have it but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It's an 8 issue mini and the art is by the Origin team. Here's some samples..

Old 08-26-03, 04:08 PM
Banned

It's....

OK.

I'm giving it major leeway since this was just the first issue, and Neil has to set up a lot of stuff.

If this were someone other than the caliber of Neil Gaiman, I wouldn't bother picking up the rest of the series, though. I'm relying on Neil's great storytelling to make the slow first issue worthwhile.
Old 08-27-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it quite a bit, tho it is a bit slow in setting everything up and it was cool picking out who everyone was and comparing their roles in the 1602 and 'real' universes.

There's some fairly good info about the book, including references bwtn the story and history, at www.thefourthrail.com
Old 08-27-03, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not as good an opener as i thought it was going to be. As usual, it's just going to boil down to the novelty of having certain characters share the same names/powers as mainstream MU characters with little/no characterization. And given it's a miniseries i'm not expecting much.
Old 08-27-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I for one enjoyed it. The writing was excellent as was the Richard Isanove's inking--very moody and atmospheric. From what I understand this actually does take place in regular continuity so I think it'll be interesting seeing how Gaiman fits it in there. Can't wait for the next ish.
Old 08-29-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts
I'm waiting on the inevitable hardcover.
Old 09-10-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like issue #2 is out?

Has anybody read it and care to comment?
Old 09-14-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Superboy
It's not as good an opener as i thought it was going to be. As usual, it's just going to boil down to the novelty of having certain characters share the same names/powers as mainstream MU characters with little/no characterization. And given it's a miniseries i'm not expecting much.
I completely agree with you. I was really disappointed by the story, although the art was really great, and I used to hate Kubert with a passion. I hope the story really does something much more interesting than just what it seems to be so far.