Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Aaargh!!! Bought Full Screen on accident!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at bestbuy today picking up my free preview DVD for 24: season 2 and I spotted "The Mummy Collection" at $26.99 and decided to pick it up and it never occurred to me to check it to make sure I got the widescreen edition. I have gotten so spoiled to ordering online that I am a bumbling buffoon in the store. It's funny because I remembered to check for widescreen when I was looking at PVDs at Blockbuster earlier in the day. I am so irritated ...

I just had to vent a bit... I guess maybe I'll put it in the Exchange forum or ebay it or something...lol.
Old 08-25-03, 10:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Just take it back and exchange for widescreen.
Old 08-25-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't notice untill I opened it.

edit: I just realized we have shrink wrap at work. So, I guess I will take it back and exchange it... I needed to go back to best buy anyway to try again to find the freebie music video DVDs.

Last edited by ScottyWH; 08-25-03 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-25-03, 10:42 PM
Cool New Member

If you get a nice manager and explain that you really do want the movie, you just want the other format, most of the time they will let you exchange it for the other version. They just won't let you exchange it for a different movie or return it or anything like that.

BB's have shrink wrap stuff in the back anyway so they'll just put it back on the shelf.
Old 08-25-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i hope they dont let you exchange it so we get a cool rant story tomorrow

hey, i need entertainment!
Old 08-26-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait, what's the problem again?

I still can't believe I haven't accidentally bought a full screen DVD yet. *knocks on wood* Let's hope I don't go getting cocky anytime soon.

K
Old 08-26-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[nelson] HA-HA [/nelson]

someone had to do it
Old 08-26-03, 12:43 AM

yeah, that blows. I did that with the two-disc version of the Lord of the Rings, TFOTR last year. I took that ugly beast back to the store the second I realized my mistake.

Side note: The animated movie, Spirit - Stallion of the Cimarron, is not easily labled on the front, so you'll have to check the back info pannel. It's labled in extremely tiny letters elsewhere on the packaging, but it's nearly impossible to find on first glance.
Old 08-26-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When XXX came out I snagged the Fullscreen version without even noticing.

The lady at the counter refused to do anything and I figured I was screwed. Then as I was walking out one of the employees up front asked it there was anything I needed. I told him my story of being a moron. He told me to go back over to customer service and tell them he said it was ok to exchange and then he gave me his name.

Unfortunately I got the same lady and she was jacked that I was back again with "permission". I didn't care as long as I got my DVD.

All this work and after seeing the movie one time I hate it with a passion and haven't touched it since. Go figure.
Old 08-26-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I feel your pain...
2 weeks ago i bought Chicago at CostCo, but didn't take it out of my trunk until last week. Just as i was about to rip into that accursed longbox, i happened to see that dreaded word, "FULLSCREEN" at the top of the box . i made an order w/ DeepDiscountDVD that night for the widescreen version & returned the fullscreen DVD the following day.
Old 08-26-03, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm basically compulsive about making sure I see the aspect ratio or "widescreen" somewhere on the packaging before I buy anything - I accidentally bought a p/s version of something early on, and learned my lesson!
Old 08-26-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's kind of funny because the only dvd I've ever accidentaly bought fullscreen was The Mummy Returns. It's a curse! A curse I tell you!!!
Old 08-26-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up Vegas Vacation not knowing that it was fullscreen. However, I cannot seem to find a widescreen version of the film so I'm assuming that it is only available in fullscreen for now. Would this be a true statement?
Old 08-26-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vegas Vacation is currently only fullscreen, though I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that a new widescreen disc is coming along with Christmas Vacation by the end of the year.
Old 08-26-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I picked up Vegas Vacation not knowing that it was fullscreen. However, I cannot seem to find a widescreen version of the film so I'm assuming that it is only available in fullscreen for now. Would this be a true statement?
For the time being, yes. However, I believe the version in the upcoming Vacation boxset is WS. At least that's what I read somewhere.

EDIT: It will be released separately, as well...on October 7th. Here's the info:

Vegas Vacation WS

Last edited by emanon; 08-26-03 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-26-03, 08:00 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Scotty,

They'd definitely take it back if you say it's defective....I mean, it is defective - the sides of the picture are missing!
Old 08-26-03, 10:40 AM

that happened with me for 8 Mile, I was in such a rush because I went during my lunch break to best buy so that i could watch it immediately after work..in my frenzy and excitement I just grabbed a copy and when i came home, yep it was Full screen. thus, i had to wait til after the rush hour traffic was over to go back to best buy and exchange it. argghhhhhhh
Old 08-26-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered the foolscreen version of There's Something MORE About Mary by mistake from Columbia House. I simply returned it to Borders. Thank god I hadn't opened it.
Old 08-26-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Babelfish translation of the original post:

"I picked up the fullscreen version of the Mummy collection because I wanted my screen filled up. But it was only after I got ragged on by some friends I invited over to watch it did I want the widescreen. I felt like an outcast."

Old 08-26-03, 11:21 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Mao
Scotty,

They'd definitely take it back if you say it's defective....I mean, it is defective - the sides of the picture are missing!
Heh, sounds like a good arguement to me.
Old 08-26-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sracer
Babelfish translation of the original post:

"I picked up the fullscreen version of the Mummy collection because I wanted my screen filled up. But it was only after I got ragged on by some friends I invited over to watch it did I want the widescreen. I felt like an outcast."

[sarcasm]Wow.. U r such a funny guy.[/sarcasm]

:P
Old 08-26-03, 02:46 PM
Banned

The two Circuit Cities in my area both carried NOTHING but fullscreen copies of The Two Towers... I thought that the widescreen must have been sold out but in talking to the manager he said they had only ordered fullscreen. I let them know that they had lost my purchase. This makes no sense to me as I have never had trouble finding widescreen copies of dvd's at Circuit City in the past! The same was true for the copies of Animal House both Circuit City's got in, all fullscreen...
Old 08-26-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update:

Took it back (after re-shrinkwrapping ) and they accepted the return with no problem, but they didn't have it in Widescreen, so I picked up the King of the Hill set instead and I'll get the Mummy set later. Thanks all for letting me vent and offering suggestions.
Old 08-26-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
If I hadn't been watching the cash register at Best Buy the other day I would have gone home with a Fullscreen version of "Chicago."

It was a real close one.
Old 08-26-03, 03:28 PM

I notice a lot of people buy full screen movies when I work the register at work. I want to say something but I usually just hold in my laughter and not even mention anything to them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.