Community
Search

LotR Movie on 2 DVDs... Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 09:46 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LotR Movie on 2 DVDs... Why?

Why the heck is Lord of the Rings split between 2 DVDs? On the 4 DVD set, the movie takes up 2 so you have to switch DVDs right when they are picking the people and heading out on the quest. That's so retarded. Was there no way to have the movie all on one and maybe have the second one be with different sound or display options or something? It's such a pain to have to get up and switch the DVD in the middle of the movie. It completely ruins the whole ambience you get when you watch it.

Is TTT 4 DVD set going to be the same way? If so I might just buy the 2 DVD set since at least on that one the movie is all together.
Old 08-25-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mm'kay.

You know what they say, "If you got nothing nice to say...."

PS. I knew right away he was gonna be a newbie or someone that never posts here.
Old 08-25-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If getting up during a 3+ hour movie just to switch a disc is too much of a hassle for you, and you'd rather miss out on a very superior movie just to be able to sit the whole time; maybe the 2-discer is for you. But I strongly disagree with you.

To answer your question, yes. The TTT 4-Disc DVD set will be 2-disc movie, 2-disc special features.

I'm not sure why it seems like such a pain. I thought where the movie was split on the FOTR: EE was in a perfect place. Besides, if it was all on one disc, you'd get a less-decent picture and probably not as many commentaries, if any at all.
Old 08-25-03, 09:59 PM

because it's a very long movie and they didn't want it to look like crap by squeezing it onto one disc.
Old 08-25-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no way that you could have DTS ES 6.1, DD EX 5.1, and 4 commentaries on a movie of this length and still have it be the superb transfer that it is on one disc. I've heard that the DTS track alone would warrant this to be on two discs.
Old 08-25-03, 10:12 PM
Cool New Member

Well that's what I'm asking. Couldn't one disc be the whole movie but with just 5.1 and the other disc be the whole movie but with 6.1. Or whatever the audio choices were on the disc...
Old 08-25-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
With the different audio options, the near-reference video quality, and the several commentary tracks, there was just no way to fit a 200 minute movie on one disc.
Old 08-25-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're really that lazy, just buy a multi-disc player. Then you won't have to make that incredibly long walk all the way to the DVD player to change a disc.
Old 08-25-03, 10:14 PM

Location: The kackles of your heart, maybe the sub-kackle area
Exactly cruzness. 6 language tracks takes space. Well worth the disc change!!!
Old 08-25-03, 10:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Somebody's got a case of the Mondays!
Old 08-25-03, 10:16 PM

joe 6 pack say what???
Old 08-25-03, 10:16 PM
Cool New Member

Did any of you actually read the whole first post? No where did it say to take the 2 discs and compress them on to 1. It asked if it was possible to split the movie into 2 discs but have one disc with the whole movie and half the audio extra stuff and the other disc be the whole movie with the rest of the audio stuff.

That way you put in whichever disc matches the audio setup you want to hear and you watch the movie....
Old 08-25-03, 10:20 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by kelemvor
Did any of you actually read the whole first post? No where did it say to take the 2 discs and compress them on to 1. It asked if it was possible to split the movie into 2 discs but have one disc with the whole movie and half the audio extra stuff and the other disc be the whole movie with the rest of the audio stuff.
They could do that if you want the movie to look like butt. The audio does not take up much space compared to the video.
Old 08-25-03, 10:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by trigun
They could do that if you want the movie to look like butt. The audio does not take up much space compared to the video.
Ah ha, I knew someone would eventually pose an answer that was helpful.

Thanks. That's what I was trying to figure out. I'd rather have the high quality but I'd also rather have 1 disc if that's possible. But, since it's not, then that's fine.

Thanks Trigun.
Old 08-25-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know about anyone else but 208 minutes of run time is torture on my @$$. I need a spot where I can get up and stretch my legs. When I saw TTT at the theater my legs fell asleep. I welcome the chance to get up even though I enjoy the movie immensely. Sometimes nature calls.
Old 08-25-03, 10:27 PM
Cool New Member

Heh, I get so into the movie that I don't notice anything else going on (including limbs going numb). Just get in the comfy recliner, turn off the lights, get the sodas/beers/pizza/etc all ready to go on the end table, and hit play.

Last edited by kelemvor; 08-25-03 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-25-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With all the sodas/pizza/beer you must have got one of those home cathaters.
Old 08-25-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm w/ the 1 disc crowd.

but, it looks like i'm in the minority.

i don't need all the commentaries. i don't get the people who complain about flippers if this isn't an issue.

it's been beaten to death; so here it is again...

there's the crowd that says people are lazy and there's the crowd that says the interruption blows the flow of the movie. i'm w/ the latter crowd (although, i'm lazy too...)
Old 08-25-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I suppose they could compress the video quite abit and maybe use mono sound..We'd get it on one disc then!

Old 08-25-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, for all the people don't need the commentaries and all the extras, just pick up the theatrical cut. The movie is all there on one disc. Besides, the break in the movie was put at a great point. The first half is about the lead-up to the formation of the Fellowship and the second half shows its breakup.
Old 08-25-03, 11:25 PM
Cool New Member

I agree that the break is at a great point. Just wish there was a way to keep the video quality, only get the sound option that I actually use, and get it on one DVD...
Old 08-25-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i thought 2 discs would suck when i got gangs of ny but it wasnt that bad. as long as TTT has a break at a good spot, im ok with it.
Old 08-25-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I suppose folks are to young to remember a thing called intermission? for the best quality this makes the most sense. if you really can't live with it.. tough. a moment break wont kill the mood.
Old 08-25-03, 11:38 PM

I guess, I could see it being annoying if you have a one-disc player - but it's still not that big of an issue. Honestly, the way it was handled was great, the breaking point was perfect and the film is so long , it allows you a relaxation from it all.
Old 08-25-03, 11:41 PM

You could use the exercise....that's why.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.