Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Korean movie recommendations [Part Three]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Korean movie recommendations [Part Three]

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-03, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need recommendations for old style korean music specials

Greetings,

I'm looking for recommendations for old style korean music specials, the kind that you'd see on tv. It'll usually be older people singing (>40) and the songs seem to be from 20-30 years back.

I'm looking for these for my mom, as she enjoys watching the music specials and music that were popular when she left S. Korea 25 years ago.

Any recommendations, links, or info would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

...can anyone recommend a movie to me that has great cinematography, some romance...and it is just a pleasure to view (I was very impressed by Failan....and HERO which i understand could not be repeated so to speak...and it is a Chinese film....but anyway...please suggest something.....

(I am not into action films....rather into ART HOUSE....the last one I got was Millenium Mambo).....

Thank you for your suggestions in advance....
Old 08-22-03, 04:37 PM

My personal favorite is still My Sassy Girl. I still haven't gotten around to the Lee Chang Dong box set(Green Fish, Peppermint Candy, and Oasis) or Il Mare, but I heard they're very good.

I think I have in the area of 20 Korean DVDs that I still haven't watched yet, so I'm major back logged.. Just watched JSA and My Wife is a Gangster, but there wasn't much romance in those.
Old 08-22-03, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by MadPervert
My personal favorite is still My Sassy Girl. I still haven't gotten around to the Lee Chang Dong box set(Green Fish, Peppermint Candy, and Oasis) or Il Mare, but I heard they're very good.

I think I have in the area of 20 Korean DVDs that I still haven't watched yet, so I'm major back logged.. Just watched JSA and My Wife is a Gangster, but there wasn't much romance in those.
I would definitely recommend Il Mare if you haven't seen it yet. I think it's as good as ,if not better, the My Sassy Girl. I would also recommend Lover's Concerto and I Wish I Had a Wife if you're looking for some romance.
Old 08-23-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

yentown.....THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD INFO.

Will do some research ASAP and decide!!
Old 08-23-03, 05:23 PM

Pro-bassoonist - If you're going to get My Sassy Girl, make SURE you get the directors cut.

Take Care of My Cat better than Sassy Girl? Um.. No. If you think so, that's fine.. You would just be wrong.

I thought the cinematography was good, not spectacular but it didn't need to be.. I don't know what movie Yentown was watching but there is nothing wrong with the editing. There is some scenes that are sped up but I think they worked nicely.
Old 08-23-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Pro-bassoonist, if you like art house, you should definitely see Oasis. I'd put The Isle in that category as well. It has gorgeous cinematography but the story is very "raw" and some scenes are hard to watch. Il Mare would probably be my 3rd choice.

I liked My Sassy Girl but it's definitely not art house. And you can put me in the don't bother with the director's cut category.
Old 08-23-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

.....hmmmm....looks like each film found its own audience...thank you for the suggestions....I will research the titles you mentioned.
Old 08-23-03, 07:38 PM

Enough of Sassy Girl then...

I just ordered Tube from Yesasia along with Christmas in August.
I wanted to order Coast Guard instead of Christmas, but the reviews I read were so bad I decided to stay away for awhile.

Anyone see tube yet? I know it's supposed to be similar to a Hollywood action film but since I don't watch many Hollywood films anymore I can watch made for Hollywood Korean films(following me here?).

Also.. There is a film called Natural City coming out, here is a trailer
http://www.film2.co.kr/realservice/t...s/T0001145.ram

Unfortunately I can't watch trailers 'cause they sort of ruin the movie for me but I hear it looks real good.
Old 08-23-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
I rather liked Christmas in August. An unpretencious, small, touching little film. I guess that would fit the "art house" criteria as well. And yes, I think I mentionned this before, but avoid The Coast Guard at all costs. It's not at all representative of Kim Ki-duk's work.

Haven't seen Tube and don't know what it's about. So MadPervert, you let us know what it's like! I've heard good things about Save The Green Planet. That's probably what I'll be getting next. And, I hope that they release Peppermint Candy outside of the box set (already have Oasis) because I want to see that too.
Old 08-23-03, 10:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
...can anyone recommend a movie to me that has great cinematography, some romance...and it is just a pleasure to view (I was very impressed by Failan....and HERO which i understand could not be repeated so to speak...and it is a Chinese film....but anyway...please suggest something.....

(I am not into action films....rather into ART HOUSE....the last one I got was Millenium Mambo).....

Thank you for your suggestions in advance....
i would recommend...

1. Il Mare -- so far my fav korean movie
2. Lover's concerto -- great film and love story
2. Ditto -- just like Il Mare
3. Xmas in August -- good film
4. Take care of my cat -- really like this one
5. Friend -- skip the first 30 minutes and then enjoy this awesome film
6. Road home (hk but great movie)

Korean DVDs I've watched but wish I hadn't paid for:
1. Shiri -- boring, over hyped
2. Foul king -- ok but not worth a purchase
3. Bungee jumping of their own -- a bit 'gay'
4. Happy End -- dont know why I even bought it
5. One fine spring day -- a bit boring but nice scenary
Old 08-23-03, 11:55 PM

Bus Stop (L'abri)

I really like this unconventional and understated drama about age old issues ... Its not the story were worried about here and like kcxdev mentioned earlier it is like Hur Jin Ho's One Fine Spring Day (but I still prefer that) ... simple situatuions cleverly filmed, interesting backgrounds and the camera is always on the move ... I loved the performances of the actress and the lead and it has a nice little ending which I didn't think looked tagged on but probably was ... Recommended.

Oh Happy Day

All out physical romantic comedy with impossible situations all stitched together rather haphazardly ... but although annoying at 1st the lead actress is rather good and she has to be because the film depends entirely on her crazy antics and face pulling ... its like a slap dash My Tutor Friend also starring the lead actor from that movie (he has more to do this time round) ... not bad but not good either ...
Old 08-24-03, 12:43 AM

Why do people consider Shiri to be overrated?? Sure it pales in comparison against Hollywood action movies, but when you consider the budget for Shiri, it's one incredible movie. Just my opinion.
Old 08-24-03, 09:05 AM

cirrus888, I can't find either of those on DVD at koreandvds.com
Old 08-24-03, 11:02 AM

Have you tried Yesasia or dvdasian.
Old 08-25-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pro-B

You should definitely check out OASIS... Brilliant film. Also I'd reccomend Chihwaseon which is absolutely stunningly beautiful and a great overall film. Take Care of My Cat is also really good and on the lighter side... Of course there's Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, but that's a bit heavier than what you were asking for. Also another one of my fav's is Bad Guy.
Old 08-25-03, 04:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need recommendations for old style korean music specials

<small>
Originally posted by keyed
Greetings,

I'm looking for recommendations for old style korean music specials, the kind that you'd see on tv. It'll usually be older people singing (>40) and the songs seem to be from 20-30 years back.

I'm looking for these for my mom, as she enjoys watching the music specials and music that were popular when she left S. Korea 25 years ago.

Any recommendations, links, or info would be appreciated.
</small>

Can anyone here help out keyed?
Old 08-25-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Heliosphann
Pro-B

You should definitely check out OASIS... Brilliant film. Also I'd reccomend Chihwaseon which is absolutely stunningly beautiful and a great overall film. Take Care of My Cat is also really good and on the lighter side... Of course there's Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, but that's a bit heavier than what you were asking for. Also another one of my fav's is Bad Guy.
Thank you.....will be placing an order for OASIS soon!!
Old 08-25-03, 10:00 AM

You might wanna just get the whole Lee Chang Dong Box set. They have it at YesAsia for $49.99 free shipping. That's about $16.75 per disk. It comes with Peppermint Candy (all disks are in DTS as well, big bonus!).

I'm glad to hear some people liked Bus Stop because I already ordered the LE of that..
Old 08-25-03, 12:34 PM

Re: Need recommendations for old style korean music specials

Originally posted by keyed
Not exactly what you are looking for, but you may want to check out Chunhyang. It is a movie that is told through pansori.
Old 08-25-03, 01:00 PM

my all time favorite korean film has to be My Sassy Girl since it was based on a true story and also, after watching the film, for once, it actually made me happy..

I heard great things about THE CLASSIC, I'm trying to find the authentic korean dvd locally in nyc, but it seems like its impossible to find, anyone have any website recommendations? yesasia don't carry it =( I hope I dont have to resort to ebay
Old 08-25-03, 01:59 PM

Mine too!! I'm sure that everyone here thinks that I paid you to post that.
Old 08-25-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eychan
I heard great things about THE CLASSIC, I'm trying to find the authentic korean dvd locally in nyc, but it seems like its impossible to find, anyone have any website recommendations? yesasia don't carry it =( I hope I dont have to resort to ebay
Yesasia does carry it - it's where I got my copy from. Only the 4 disc version is OOP, the 2 disc version is still in print.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-165/code-k/
Old 08-25-03, 06:06 PM

what can they possible put to make CLASSIC 4 disc?
Old 08-25-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by IC_Freeze

Korean DVDs I've watched but wish I hadn't paid for:
2. Foul king -- ok but not worth a purchase
IMHO is Foul King one of the best Korean comedys so far. It is intelligent, the actors are good and there is plenty of action and fun. The LE with the big packaging and the bathing cap is great.

And after that movie I know how the Leningrad Cowboys would sound as Korean guys....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.