Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Does the documentary for 25th Ann. Halloween have CC/subs?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-03, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a deaf member of my family who was about to pick up the new 25th Ann. Halloween while we were at Best Buy the other day. He was very excited to see there was an 87 minute new documentary on it. But asked me will it have subs or CC. (we know the movie does) I honestly didn't know. But we both knew the odds weren't good from experiencing so about 80% of other dvds with documentaries that do not.

Anyone that have the new 25th ann Halloween tell me if it does? We really hope so, or else as usual he will miss out on all the great bonus extras.

I know this is an ongoing problem, that besides the small percentage that do provide subs/cc. There seems to be no real effort to curb this. It especially hits hard when i see my family won't be able to enjoy the SE dvds to its fullest compacity.
Old 08-24-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt it highly
Old 08-24-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Does the documentary for 25th Ann. Halloween have CC/subs?

Originally posted by Rainet
I have a deaf member of my family who was about to pick up the new 25th Ann. Halloween while we were at Best Buy the other day. He was very excited to see there was an 87 minute new documentary on it. But asked me will it have subs or CC. (we know the movie does) I honestly didn't know. But we both knew the odds weren't good from experiencing so about 80% of other dvds with documentaries that do not.

Anyone that have the new 25th ann Halloween tell me if it does? We really hope so, or else as usual he will miss out on all the great bonus extras.

I know this is an ongoing problem, that besides the small percentage that do provide subs/cc. There seems to be no real effort to curb this. It especially hits hard when i see my family won't be able to enjoy the SE dvds to its fullest compacity.
Unfortunately, neither the documentary or even the movie itself has subtitles or closed captioning ...it's Anchor Bay afterall.
Old 08-24-03, 05:09 PM

Chad~

Are you sure about that? On the back of the dvd case it says the movie has CC. This is the 25th Ann. edition that just came out 3 weeks ago.

Am i missing something here?
Old 08-24-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rainet
Chad~

Are you sure about that? On the back of the dvd case it says the movie has CC. This is the 25th Ann. edition that just came out 3 weeks ago.

Am i missing something here?
Yes, I realize it states it on the back of the box, but CC is nowhere to be found. I just double checked the disc and can confirm it.

From DVDFile.com:

Subtitles/Captions:
- None
Old 08-24-03, 05:33 PM

Thanks Chad

Now i'm really upset. Nevermind the documentary. After what? 4 releases, they still didn't add CC to the movie! Even though i believe anchor bay said they did. And to even show the CC symbol on the back of the case is just plain wrong.

I was concerned about the documentary, but this just changed everything.

Unbelievable. I'm livid!!
Old 08-25-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rainet.........please excuse my vast ignorance on the deaf so please educate.

For me, 50% of why Halloween is scary is because of the music. Does your deaf family member get scared when watching good horror movies? But a film, like Jaws (which also has good music) could probably stand on it's and be scary without it.
Old 08-25-03, 12:42 PM

Kube~

Well to answer your question, my brother is almost completely deaf. I'm sure he can follow the plot and everything going on. But he does enjoy dialogue even if there is not much of it. And doesn't like to miss out on it. And personally i don't blame him. To miss even just a little of it because CC/subs been omitted is a crime in itself.

My original post here was if the documentary has CC so he can enjoy the making of it, which i think its vital since its all talking and interviews. But now im hearing there's no CC at all from (Chad who posted above).

If anyone has anymore info on this. It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-03, 02:33 PM
NMA

I have the newly released 25th anniversary edition of Halloween. Both the movie and both documentaries have Closed Captioning. You can go and purchase this edition. Even the trailer has CC... :-)
Old 08-25-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rainet...just to clarify my post. I would certainly think that dialogue would be necessary to enjoy/follow the movie but wasn't sure if some of these horror films hold up without music.

Seeing that he wants to watch them, I'm guessing that some do.
Old 08-25-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by NMA
I have the newly released 25th anniversary edition of Halloween. Both the movie and both documentaries have Closed Captioning. You can go and purchase this edition. Even the trailer has CC... :-)
It's been confirmed ...I'm an idiot.

It turns out there is CC afterall on everything NMA has mentioned above. I was using a Cyberhome player, and wasn't enabling the CC feature because I forgot to push the enter button to make it "stick". Please ignore my stupidity.

My apologies!
Old 08-25-03, 04:39 PM

none taken