Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is New Line Cinema the most successful studio out there?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like they've had some of the biggest hits of the last decade or so, and have continually made millions on their franchises.

Here's just some movie franchises of theirs that I can think of:

Austin Powers
Lord of the Rings
Blade
Friday
Rush Hour

And look at the HUGE success of Dumb and Dumber and even the recent Freddy vs. Jason...just seems like they rarely "lose".
Old 08-23-03, 05:50 PM

Especially impressive since they seem to release fewer films than the bigger studios. They also make quality movies, not just box office rubbish. And they put out great DVDs.

But they are just a part of Warner these days.
Old 08-23-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
No. I'd say Dreamworks is probably the most successful studio. And by successful, I mean cumulative box office take along with awards. To look back at what they've put out since their inception is amazing.
Old 08-23-03, 06:00 PM

That motorcycle movie has really tainted my once flawless impression of Dreamworks.
Old 08-23-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Disney has the top two movies of the year so far, Finding Nemo and Pirates, and frankly they've got to be considered one of the top studios of recent years.
Old 08-23-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

all i know is i realized that i love when new line's little logo starts flying on the screen before a movie (with their little jingle). why? because i have loved so many of their movies so now i have associated the two. if i see that logo, i know something good will follow
Old 08-23-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IIRC "Town and Country," or whatever it was called, lost a lot of $ for New Line.
Old 08-24-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New Line is the top studio for people who frequent the Internet, because they release movies that appeal to that audience, simple as that.
Old 08-24-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I find funny..

this comment:
"It seems like they've had some of the biggest hits of the last decade or so"

followed by a list of five films.. so that means every other studio has had less then 1 good film in a period of 2 years for the past decade..or so funny stuff i tells you. funny stuff.
Old 08-24-03, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually no, Disney is winning this year with Nemo and Pirates. With Sony/Columbia in 2nd and WB in 3rd. New Line may have had a few successful hits, but they don't match the number of films many of the other studios release. In fact, New Line has never made it pass 5th place in total studio earnings yearly. My source? http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/
I would say Disney is the most successful, they are consistently near the top. And those charts count Miramax as a separate studio.
Old 08-24-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by V-ism
Actually no, Disney is winning this year with Nemo and Pirates. With Sony/Columbia in 2nd and WB in 3rd. New Line may have had a few successful hits, but they don't match the number of films many of the other studios release. In fact, New Line has never made it pass 5th place in total studio earnings yearly. My source? http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/
I would say Disney is the most successful, they are consistently near the top. And those charts count Miramax as a separate studio.
Revenue doesn't always translate into profit.

Unless you'd rather have invested in Pearl Harbor as opposed to My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Old 08-24-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New Line also had some bombs this year - Real Cancun, Dumb and Dumberer come to mind right off the bat. Secondly, Blade while it has been a hit, really didn't make a lot of money (i.e. a blockbuster)
Old 08-24-03, 10:34 AM

Artisan, only because their Twin Peaks first season box set is one of the best transfers I've ever seen or heard Espically for an older tv show.
Old 08-24-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Unless you'd rather have invested in Pearl Harbor as opposed to My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
I'd have invested in PH -- $450 million worldwide, plus ancillary revenue. But then again, MBGFW had better returns, but the notion that PH wasn't a profit-maker is certainly erroneous.

As far as New Line: they've made some great movies, but by no way are they the "most successful studio", by any measuring. Like someone said, they seem to have made a lot of successful franchises that Internet fanboys spooge over, hence the perception.
Old 08-24-03, 01:30 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They've had some great luck with their franchises, but...

Austin Powers is losing steam. They may be able to wring another movie out of it, but they can only recycle the same jokes so many times.
Lord of the Rings will be done after Return of the King, unless they try to extend the franchise in a way by doing The Hobbit.
Blade will be back, but this isn't as huge as some franchises.
The Friday movies have been mild yet consistent moneymakers. The quality has taken a serious nosedive with each installment, and if they attempt to tap this well too many times they'll be in Police Academy territory.
Rush Hour could be extended out a bit, but Jackie ain't getting any younger and Tucker's schtick may start to grate some nerves if they play it out. Also, the "we get on each other's nerves" thing won't be too realistic once they've partnered together in several flicks.

All that said, New Line is one of the savviest studios for recognizing the franchises with potential (the ones people actually want to see sequels to, unlike many of this summer's offerings) and CORRECTLY capitalizing (making sequels that don't alienate fans of the original, a la Legally Blonde 2). I think they'll find some new franchises to replace the old ones soon enough.
Old 08-24-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

blade will be back? blade 3?

is this confirmed?

i hope so!
Old 08-24-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by atari2600
blade will be back? blade 3?

is this confirmed?

i hope so!
Yes, yes, and ... um, #3 wasn't a question.
Old 08-24-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
What I find funny..

this comment:
"It seems like they've had some of the biggest hits of the last decade or so"

followed by a list of five films.. so that means every other studio has had less then 1 good film in a period of 2 years for the past decade..or so funny stuff i tells you. funny stuff.
it wasn't a list of 5 movies, it was a list of 5 franchise movies:

Austin Powers 1, 2, 3
Lord of the Rings 1, 2, 3
Blade 1, 2, 3
Friday 1, 2, 3
Rush Hour 1, 2

that's 14 films. alebit 1 not released and another not made, but i think it's a safe best they they will both be succesful.
Old 08-24-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Fine, this article might be of some interest..

Shows that New Line was pretty much taking it down to the line

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/chi-...m-main-utility

"It was an expensive, make-or-break deal no other studio wanted to make, and in the weeks preceding last December's release of the first "Lord of the Rings" film, New Line's future looked uncertain. Although New Line had sold off foreign rights to "The Lord of the Rings" to minimize its investment, the studio had been stung by a number of flops and forced to lay off staff. With profits down, the studio couldn't make any movie costing more than $50 million (including "Austin Powers in Goldmember") without permission from AOL Time Warner. Before "The Fellowship of the Ring" opened, top executives at the parent company publicly ignored Peter Jackson's bold adaptation of the J.R.R. Tolkien tale and instead exalted Warner Bros.' less ambitious "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."

A few senior New Line executives privately worried that if the first "Lord of the Rings" film fizzled, New Line would be packed up and folded into Warners. New Line didn't have to call the movers. The first "Lord of the Rings" collected more than $860 million globally, earned a leading 13 Oscar nominations and won four Academy Awards. (The second installment, "The Two Towers," opens Dec. 18.)".

Goes to show you that even with it's past success it was still digging deep to get stuff out. Friday series is dead now, Austin powers would be hard to really continue with a major profit since interest is low on it. Rush hour 3 might be an option, but considering Jackie Chan's reccent box office drawings it would a toss up. Lord of the rings concludes this christmas and Blade.. well I'm not a big blade fan so I wont comment.
Old 08-24-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
well i didnt know that!

thanks.
Old 08-25-03, 07:21 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
New line also deserve kudos for releasing kick butt dvds packed with xtras. They were the first studio to really treat dvd customers well

Real Cancun surely would have cost next to nuttin
Old 08-25-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Their only mistake this year was Dumb and Dumberer.

Also, Final Destination 2 was provided some decent dough for New Line.
Old 08-25-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Original Desmond
New line also deserve kudos for releasing kick butt dvds packed with xtras. They were the first studio to really treat dvd customers well
Old 08-25-03, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Wow, you just made my day, Blade is an awsome series (thanks to Mr. Snipes and his supporting cast).
Old 08-25-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As an aside, Blade: Trinity (aka Blade 3) will be written directed by David Goyer, who was the screenwriter for the first two Blade films, Dark City, and is writing the upcoming Batman movie to be directed by Christopher Nolan. He also co-wrote the JSA comic with Geoff Johns.

Should be interesting, to say the very least. I loved the first Blade to death but only mildly enjoyed part 2 (great action, great effects, weak plot).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.