LOTR: Towers - 4 Disc Set?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-03, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's probably been covered about a million times but I haven't been around - so give me a break!!

Is there going to be a LOTR: Towers 4 disc set like they created for Fellowship? Last time I waited and I'd like to wait again this time. Any info?
Old 08-22-03, 03:17 PM

Yes there will be in November.
Old 08-22-03, 03:19 PM

Ok thanks!

Is there a link I could check for all of the specs?
Old 08-22-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

November 18. From dvdfile.com:

In addition to a newly-expanded cut of the film featuring over 40 minutes of new material, the extras are vast. The feature is spread over the first two discs, with four audio commentaries by director Peter Jackson and the writers, the second with the design team, the third with the production team and the four with the cast. The feature is presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital Surround EX and DTS 6.1 ES Discrete soundtracks.

Disc three features The Appendices: Adapting the book into a screenplay and planning the film, the design and inspiration for locations in Middle-earth storyboards to pre-visualization, a Weta Workshop visit to see the sculptors in action as they create the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film, an "Atlas of Middle-Earth," an additional interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process, multiple featurettes including "Sending Actors to Battle" (preparation for sword fighting), "Post-Production" (editing it all together) and "Principal Photography" (stories from the set), a look at the digital effects including motion capture and "Massive" (a program to create armies of Orcs), additional "Bigatures" (a close-up look at the detailed miniatures used in the film), a sound design demonstration, still galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists plus additional behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos. Also included are extensive ROM extras to be announced. Retail is $39.95.

Last but not least, New Line will also release a special Gift Set of the Extended Edition, which also streets on November 18th. Expect the same great extras above plus a Collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta, "The Evolution of Gollum" exclusive documentary on the Weta Workshop and how the Gollum statue was created, a printed companion piece showing how Gollum evolved from pencil sketch to sculpted maquette to digital character, and collectible packaging. Retail is $69.95.
Old 08-22-03, 03:27 PM

Nice! Gollum statue? Sounds pretty cool... they release pics of it yet?
Old 08-22-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Old 08-22-03, 03:47 PM

I didn't buy the first gift set (They had none at the store I went to so I settled with the regular four disc set). Should I get the gift set this time around, maybe sell my FOTR four disc version and buy the gift set, or just stay with the startard Four disc EE editions and not worry about the gift sets?
Old 08-22-03, 03:53 PM

The only thing in the gift sets that are worth it are the statues. If you can live without them, you can live without the gift sets.
Old 08-22-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
The statues/bookends aren't worth the extra money to me. For all films, I'm just getting the R1 4-disc versions and the Japanese R2 theatrical versions (my wife is Japanese and these have Japanese subs and the packaging is nicer than the R1 2-disc versions).
Old 08-22-03, 04:11 PM

Yeah I'll probably pass on the set too, and go with the 4 disc.

Is the packaging the same (book style) this time around.. it looks as if it is, except this time the book is brown instead of green.
Old 08-22-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's red this time.

Old 08-22-03, 04:32 PM

Damn, that's nice... It's going to look good sitting right next to "Fellowship"
Old 08-22-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yes it will
Old 08-22-03, 05:16 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=285939

It's not at all a problem that you haven't been around... that's why we have a Search function, located in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Finding the above thread took me about thirty seconds. Closing duplicate.