Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Please explain "The Hunger"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-22-03, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was up late last night watching cable and stumbled upon this vampire flick. I must have been half asleep because I didn't get it.

I know each vampire movie usually sets their own vampire rules, but I must have missed that scene.

For instance:
Spoiler:
Vampires walking around in daylight. David Bowie's character John getting older and sickly although apparently still feeding on fresh blood. What exactly happened to Catherine Deneuve's character in the end? Why did she die?

It's really bugging me so your help/thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-03, 04:39 PM
Rest in Peace

Spoiler:
She didn't die and neither did he that was the curse, in her case she was head or starter of the egyptian blood for life drinkers, from the ankh that pulled apart to beome a edged weapon. If she didn't fall all the way down after being frightened by her former lovers. Being out of action with so many broken bones, she kept yelling Sarah, Sarah her female lover (Susan Sarandon) from the coffin she would still be alive in for centuries.

Sarah becomes the new head of the drink blood for 'youth' and could give that temporary gift to another man or woman, but only she could remain alive forever walking talking etc. as long as nothing physically happened to her like being run over by a truck or falling down a flight of stairs. Yet again in the progressive cycle of after a time her lover would develop the same symptoms of what David Bowie went through. She would then pick a new lover and on and on through the centuries it would go on. Lover after lover then they would go to the attic to be alive in a very old stage of life, but not be able to regenerate their youth, it was a one way trip. In this tale sunlight or stakes, didn't have no part of killing nor did silver in any way, shape, or form.

Enjoy the movie now that I have explained it fully to you, it's still good even after watching it 250 times, I like both Catherine Deneauve and Susan Sarandon, I may be disabled but my mind is certainly not, in any way, shape, or form when it comes to beatiful women and partial nudity in the film. I'll let you guess where that comes in to play!

The movie came out in 1981 I seen it in Philadelphia, PA. on a run to that city that I was stuck overnight, I took my whole rig and parked in the mall to see the flick. When it came out on Video I bought that, I have seen the movie about 250 times
Old 08-22-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

do we have any danol interpretors in the house?

seriously, I wouldn't mind an explanation of this film either. I only saw it once and wasn't paying much attention.......and it was several years ago so I barely remember it.
Old 08-22-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by garmonbozia
do we have any danol interpretors in the house?

seriously, I wouldn't mind an explanation of this film either. I only saw it once and wasn't paying much attention.......and it was several years ago so I barely remember it.
i actually think danol did a good job, however i don't remember the movie that well. but i was able to follow danol's plot explaination.

seems this movie had nothing to do with vampires, just drinking blood. the blood gave no supernatural powers, it only prolonged life.
Old 08-23-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Danol did a great job explaining, he then turned in another great Danol piece at the end, so as not to disappoint anyone, thank you D.

They were a different type of vampire, not your typical flying, garlic, holy water types. And as Iggy stated every vampire movie is different, hell Braum, the godfater of vampires, actually set the rules that they could walk in the day light, and this is a idea that I think Hollywood changed back in the 30s.

I love the cameo of Bauhaus, Daniel Ash IIRC, in the opening scene.
Old 08-25-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, D's summary made perfect sense. Very interesting take on the "vampire" lore, which as mentioned is really a true vampire tale.

Thanks.