Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MPAA says text messaging to blame for poor ticket sales

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-19-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.independent.co.uk/digita...p?story=434778

In Hollywood, 2003 is rapidly becoming known as the year of the failed blockbuster, and the industry now thinks it knows why.

No, the executives are not blaming such bombs as The Hulk, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle or Gigli on poor quality, lack of originality, or general failure to entertain. There's absolutely nothing new about that.

The problem, they say, is teenagers who instant message their friends with their verdict on new films - sometimes while they are still in the cinema watching - and so scuppering carefully crafted marketing campaigns designed to lure audiences out to a big movie on its opening weekend.

"In the old days, there used to be a term, 'buying your gross,' " Rick Sands, chief operating officer at Miramax, told the Los Angeles Times. "You could buy your gross for the weekend and overcome bad word of mouth, because it took time to filter out into the general audience."

But those days are over, because the technology of hand-held text-message devices has drastically cut down the time it takes for movie-goers to tell their friends that a heavily promoted summer action movie is a waste of time and money.

Five years ago, when summer movies were arguably just as bad as they are now, the average audience drop-off between a film's opening weekend and its second weekend was 40 per cent. This summer, it has been 51 per cent. In some cases, the drop-off has started between the film's opening on a Friday night and the main screenings on Saturday. The upshot: unsuccessful films disappearing from cinemas so fast that there is no time for second opinions.

A 56 per cent drop over the first week of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines was not what the studio moguls had expected. As Arnold Schwarzenegger himself might say, hasta la vista, baby.
Old 08-19-03, 04:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The solution to this is obvious: MAKE BETTER MOVIES!
Old 08-19-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
The solution to this is obvious: MAKE BETTER MOVIES!

Thats odd. The only solution I came up with was to eliminate the internet.
Old 08-19-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, seriously. It's the Internet's "fault," not the text messaging.
Old 08-19-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
Yeah, but they blamed the internet last year, they need a new scapegoat.
Old 08-19-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it has a lot more to do with the studios positioning a "blockbuster" on every single Friday over the summer.
Old 08-19-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"Five years ago, when summer movies were arguably just as bad as they are now

Summer movies from 5 years ago... All I have to say is that Armageddon is part of the Criterion Collection. If you are not familar with the collection here is an exerpt from their website, "The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, is dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors. All of the films published under the Criterion banner represent cinema at its finest. In our seventeen years, we've seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema in the world's best digital editions.
Old 08-19-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What the hell? Why do they keep looking for people to blame? If I hear one more make believe reason why a movie bombed Im gonna.........well do nothing but Im sick of it. Also how would this affect Terminator 3? Didnt that movie have really good word of mouth? I certainly enjoyed it.
Old 08-19-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't have to get a text message to know that I didn't wanna see gigli. As for Hulk and Charlie's Angels... I would've seen them even if some kid text messaged me saying they sucked donkey balls.
Old 08-19-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Text messaging. That's pretty funny.

Poor, poor hollywood. The ever steadfast whore is throwing rocks at others and assigning the blame elsewhere.
Old 08-19-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, the drop-off's are larger week to week on average, but the average opening is probably up too. Assuming the effect of ticket price is mostly negligible in a five years span....isn't is obvious that the only thing that's happening is that people that really want to see a movie are doing it the first week more often than they used too?
Old 08-19-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All Al Gore's fault.
Old 08-19-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like blaming other people. It makes me feel better about myself.

Old 08-19-03, 07:31 PM

Did they blame DVDs in previous years?
Old 08-19-03, 08:04 PM

I weap for them, really I do.

I don't honestly understand stories such as these... who in the industry would want to go on the record complaining about not being able to make as much money on crappy movies?
Old 08-19-03, 08:08 PM
mwj

What the hell? Why do they keep looking for people to blame? If I hear one more make believe reason why a movie bombed Im gonna.........well do nothing but Im sick of it.

Because there is so much money riding on every Summer blockbuster, every executive and studio must provide some plainly ridiculous justification when their movies fails to live up to expectations or worse flops.
Old 08-19-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

said before i'll say again
I HATE HOLLYWOOD.
Old 08-19-03, 08:54 PM
Banned

Yup, make better movies but almost every story line you can think of has already been done in some form. Thats why so many movies are being based on games and comics.
Old 08-19-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
said before i'll say again
I HATE HOLLYWOOD.
I see: you only watch foreign and independent cinema then.

While I agree that Hollywood's finger-pointing and lame excuses are pointless and silly, I still love how people complain incessantly about how "evil and horrific" Hollywood is... on a message board where upon membership is predicated by a love... of movies.

Fascinating. I'm going to join the message boards of The American Conservative and spend my time there spouting Marxist theory.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 08-19-03 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
It's great to read an article that complains that studios can't fool people anymore into seeing their bad movies.
Old 08-19-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by neiname
Summer movies from 5 years ago... All I have to say is that Armageddon is part of the Criterion Collection. If you are not familar with the collection here is an exerpt from their website, "The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, is dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors. All of the films published under the Criterion banner represent cinema at its finest. In our seventeen years, we've seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema in the world's best digital editions.

yeah, isn't it funny how they could put Armageddon in the same sentence as that criterion collection discription.. ha ha ha, funny stuff. what an awful movie.
Old 08-19-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Text Messaging? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
Old 08-19-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does anyone even use text messaging?
Old 08-19-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts
dnt c tmb rdr 2. it sux.
Old 08-19-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No no no, you see what they are REALLY saying is that folks are using IM on their PC to aim each other after downloading the pirated copy and telling each other how much it sucks and how they shouldn't go pay for it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.