Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Manhunter DTS (R2 Japan)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Manhunter DTS (R2 Japan)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Manhunter DTS (R2 Japan)

My copy of the Ronin Ultimate Edition came with a couple of ad inserts with listings for some interesting recent and upcoming releases. One was a DTS edition of Manhunter.

Does anyone have info on this disc? I suspect that it is based on Anchor Bay's fake "Theatrical Cut" (that was not actually the theatrical cut) but with a DTS track. Does anyone own it who can verify?
Old 08-18-03, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this too on their web site. Its an MGM title destributed by Fox in Japan. I'd think it would be the same cut as the recent R2 France MGM DVD. It is THE original theatrical cut. I'll be gettin the R2 Japan version when its released.
Old 08-19-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was under the impression that the original theatrical cut disc released in Europe was out of print and replaced by a new remaster that comes from the same source as Anchor Bay's fake theatrical cut. No?
Old 08-19-03, 07:42 PM

Nope. I watched the new AB and the R2F MGM disc back-to-back. The R2F only came out last April.

I had read that AB used that MGM HD master as the base for their Divimax DC version.
Old 08-20-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Divimax disc is not the theatrical cut. It is the Director's Cut, and it's still missing the scene where Graham talks about the Tooth Fairy's childhood.

Does the French disc have both versions of the movie, or just the Director's Cut?
Old 08-20-03, 11:32 AM

The Divimax disc is not the theatrical cut.
I know, but AB used the MGM transfer as the basis for 'their' version. Or so I've read.

The R2F MGM disc ONLY includes the theatrical cut.
Old 08-21-03, 05:43 AM

Does the French disc have both versions of the movie, or just the Director's Cut?

No, the 2 French releases (Pioneer-Opening and now MGM) are exactly the same and feature the cinema cut.

This is the same version that was originally released in the UK by BMG and never on Region 1.
Old 08-21-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK guys, thanks.

Dammit, now I'm going to have to order this Japanese disc just to find out what it really is. As if I don't already own enough copies of this movie...
Old 08-21-03, 11:07 AM

I hear you! I own all the AB discs, the French disc, the laserdisc and now the Japanese disc on the way.
Old 08-21-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, but do you have this?

http://website.lineone.net/~manhunter4/japanlaser.html
Old 08-21-03, 02:09 PM

Sadly, no. I wasn't even aware of its existence. Any goodies on it that aren't available elsewhere?
Old 08-21-03, 04:21 PM

I believe there's some sample smears from Dr Lecktor
Old 08-22-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mrwilson
Sadly, no. I wasn't even aware of its existence. Any goodies on it that aren't available elsewhere?
No, just the cool cover art. The video transfer is actually really horrendous. Its collectible value is entirely in its packaging.
Old 03-14-05, 12:32 PM

Hey, I don't know if anybody will see this, considering how old it is, but I want to be very clear: does the French MGM DVD of Manhunter have the ORIGINAL theatrical cut of the damn movie, the same as the Japanese MGM DVD?? I've bought the UK double-disc edition, it is THE SAME as the Anchor Bay edition; the "theatrical cut" is a lie, it is cut the same as the AB edition. The UK edition is from Kinowelt, which released it in Germany as well. Somebody please tell me if the French MGM disc is the true theatrical cut. I live in Prague and it would make more sense for me to get that.
Old 03-14-05, 12:36 PM

The French MGM disc is the true Theatrical Cut. I've got it and the R2J disc. I bought the French one before the Japanese one came out. BTW, I'm interested in selling/trading the R2Fr MGM dvd if interested.
Old 03-14-05, 12:55 PM

I'm interested, should I PM you?

Is there any difference between the French disc and the Japan disc? Audio, video, etc. I know both of them have squat for extras.

EDIT: I've just seen on cdjapan that a limited edition DTS Manhunter DVD is coming out in Japan in April, and they have it for quite cheap, I might go that route.

Last edited by Egon's Ghost; 03-14-05 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-14-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Japanese disc is the only one with DTS. Other than the obvious PAL vs. NTSC format differences, I believe the content of the Japanese and French editions are comparable.

The "Limited Edition" that CDJapan lists is just a price drop re-release of the DTS disc. Shouldn't be anything new involved.

Since it isn't linked in the older posts in this thread, I'll point out that I did eventually write a full review of the Japanese disc here:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...manhunter.html
Old 03-14-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The "Limited Edition" that CDJapan lists is just a price drop re-release of the DTS disc. Shouldn't be anything new involved.
I caused this re-release by buying the OOP disc a few weeks ago. You can all thank me.
Old 03-15-05, 02:29 PM

I caused this re-release by buying the OOP disc a few weeks ago. You can all thank me.
Well, thanks! I'm going to wait for this edition and get it, even though I live in Europe. The slow shipping price isn't bad. Who should be blamed for the fact that the original uncut theatrical version is only available in Japan and France? I just don't get it. Of course, Mann's Last of the Mohicans and Thief don't exist in Region 1 in their original theatrical cuts...
Old 05-12-05, 02:12 PM

A follow-up...I've just received the Japanese re-release of Manhunter DTS. I have to say, the intro (when presumably Dollarhyde is walking through the house) looks like absolute ASS. Horrible compression artifacts (pixelization), graininess...my God. It's the same on the R2 UK Director's Cut. Does the Anchor Bay DC's intro look this ass-tastic? The "theatrical" cut on the UK set looks waaaaaaaaay better. I don't get it. I'm sure you all know this, but.....goddammit. Is this French version of the theatrical cut have the same intro?
Old 05-12-05, 04:35 PM

It's meant to look shit.

For some bizarre reason there are versions (mainly the useles Anchor Bay DVDs) that make it look pristine and shot on high quality film. It's meant (for me) to seem like it was shot on video by the killer.
Old 05-13-05, 08:23 AM

It's meant to look shit.
I've tried to justify that to myself as well, but I just can't accept it, especially after watching the fake "theatrical cut" with the "clean" intro. The obvious pixelation doesn't look like circa 1986 video, it looks like shit 21st century MPEG. I can't believe someone would release a transfer like this. Drunk monkeys. I can find no other explanation. I am absolutely dumbfounded by the treatment of Manhunter. I now have 3 versions of this bloody film, none satisfactory by itself.
Old 05-13-05, 08:43 AM

Where's the best place to pick up these JP Ultimate Editions? (cdjapan, amazon.co.jp, etc.?) Seems to average about $40 + shipping.... sounds right?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-13-05, 10:02 AM

Where's the best place to pick up these JP Ultimate Editions? (cdjapan, amazon.co.jp, etc.?) Seems to average about $40 + shipping.... sounds right?
If you're talking about MANHUNTER in Japan, there's a Limited Edition pressing of the MGM DTS version (pretty much regarded as the best DVD out there of the movie) that's under $10. I just ordered it last weekend in fact. Add in the shipping and it cost me just about $18 through Amazon JP.

I would act fast, though -- I tried ordering the same DVD from Yesasia.com and they said it just became out of print (at least for them, at that price).

CD Japan is certainly another route, though I stopped ordering from them after I failed to realize they place (or at least did) a finance charge on every international order, which came out pretty hefty on the order I had with them.
Old 05-13-05, 12:24 PM

CD Japan is certainly another route, though I stopped ordering from them after I failed to realize they place (or at least did) a finance charge on every international order, which came out pretty hefty on the order I had with them.
I've just done that, shipping to Europe cost me 500 yen, for a total of about 14 USD. Pretty damn cheap. Shipping was cheaper than Amazon.co.jp. So no, no international finance charge from CDJapan. I'm glad it was cheap, as I said, it may be the correct theatrical cut of the film, but, goddammit, the intro looks horrible and the overall film image is cruddy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.