Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dreamworks' Sharkslayer release date moved up

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from Cinescape

DreamWorks blinked.

Even though the studio had publically announced plans to release its new CGI animated movie SHARKSLAYER on November 5, 2004, Walt Disney Pictures decided it wanted a showdown. After DreamWorks took out ads staking the 11/05/04 release date for its movie, Disney counterattacked by proclaiming its intention to release its new CGI toon THE INVINCIBLES on the same day. Suddenly that Friday in November had shaped up to be another battle in the DreamWorks/Disney cartoon rivalry war.

But things have changed. DreamWorks has decided to shift the release of SHARKSLAYER from November 5 to October 1, 2004, leaving plenty of breathing room between films. Surely Disney wouldn't dare changing the date of THE INCREDIBLES now, would they?

In other news, DreamWorks has also announced its intentions to find a new title for SHARKSLAYER. Studio execs now feel that the "slayer" portion of the title doesn't best represent the film's comedic angle and so a new moniker is being devised. The film's new title should be announced in a week or two.
Old 08-18-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who wouldn't blink? Pixar has become a powerhouse in the movie industry.
Old 08-18-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I had to choose, Pixar all the way!
Old 08-18-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sharkslayer actually looks interesting to me, but if i had to choose between The Invincibles and Sharkslayer, it's a no brainer.
Old 08-18-03, 11:46 AM

As long as both of them can be enjoyed by everyone in the family, both will make big bank.
Old 08-18-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
I can't wait for both! Both Pixar and PDI have pretty solid track records (although I have zero interest in Shrek 2), and two new films from both companies both released within a one month timespan fill the world with well-needed spooge!
Old 08-18-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I plan on seeing them both, but considering the niche Pixar has carved out at Thanksgiving with the family crowd I'd be worried. Dreamworks has to have a hit with Sharkslayers(or whatever it's gonna be called)or their animation division could be in trouble. I think moving it up probably was a good idea for both parties. Both films will make money, but this will maximize profits for Dreamworks and Disney.

I agree with you Matt about Shrek 2, though--I hated the first one and couldn't care less about the second.
Old 08-18-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am eagerly awaiting both movies. Sharkslayer(Robert Deniro, Martin Scorsesce, Angelina Jolie, Will Smith, and Jack Black) a little bit more but Incredibles is still looking great (Craig T. Nelson, Sam Jackson, Jason Lee, and Holly Hunter!!!!). The title change for Sharkslayer is ridiculous though.

Last edited by RyoHazuki; 08-18-03 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I thought that the November date was a traditional Disney release date, so Disney taking it is not a surprise. Of course the reason that they use the date is that it's before Thanksgiving, where box office totals are high, which is why Dreamworks would want it. Makes sense that you wouldn't want to release two animated movies back to back (or in the same week), since they are fighting for the same audience.

In this case, the studio which had lower expectations for the film, Dreamworks basically had to move from the sake of the box office. It's a good move.