Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

do you know anyone with more dvds than you?

Old 08-17-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i realized despite my small (~70) dvd collection i have by far more dvds than anyone i know and people are amazed at how many i have.

yet here i have basically what amounts to no dvds lol.

so do you guys know anyone with MORE dvds than you? and if so, list how many you have and how many they have (approximates). i know there are a ton of people here with more dvds than probably anyone in their state but how bout the opposite - any huge collections that say wow to?
Old 08-17-03, 07:46 PM

No, everyone I know IRL thinks I'm insane. It's very disheartening to have no one to share my great finds with IRL.
Old 08-17-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At a place I shop in Syracuse, a guy I run into has over 600 compared to my 535. I've been aggressively trying to trim mine down as I've run out of room. Other than that only people I "know" on this board.
Old 08-17-03, 08:02 PM

I know someone with a lot more than me, but his are all ****** one disc 5 dollar movies that grace the bottom of every "worst DVDs" list, or "worst movies" list. And half of them are his aunts that she has watched and didn't like.
Old 08-17-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a friend who has about 850 dvd's and I don't know where he stores them all.
Old 08-17-03, 08:58 PM

Right now I think I have the most of anyone I know in RL. My collection is around the 600 area give or take about 20. There is one person I know who may have more than I, but I don't think so and we have never talked numbers.

Everyone else I know thinks I am insane. I would like to trim down my collection, but realistically there is only maybe about 10 discs I would get rid of.

Movie Diva: nice sig fnord, indeed.
Old 08-17-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a friend who is probably in the 300-400 DVD range, but his collection is full of DVDs that lock up or have some other problem that prohibits full playback of a movie. I would say easily 50% or more of his discs have problems. Suffice to say, it will be a cold day in hell before I lend him one of my DVDs. Therefore, I have more working DVDs than he does, which means I have the most DVDs of all the people I know.
Old 08-17-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2 of my friends have way more than me (I have about 220), & & then one guy I know, he is a customer at my shop, has over 2,000 DVDs. He is my DVD idol.
Old 08-17-03, 09:14 PM

There was this guy who comes in to the Circuit City where I used to work EVERY WEEK and buys easily 20 - 30 DVDs every Tuesday. We called him the "crazy DVD guy". Come to find out, he has over 1500 DVDs and 3000 VHS tapes. Holy crap.
Old 08-17-03, 09:15 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
I have a friend who has a few more then me but just about his entire collection is stuff he's rented from blockbuster and burned. Other then him noone I know has more then me.
Old 08-17-03, 09:17 PM

Hehehe.... no, actually
Old 08-17-03, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by AdamComic2
Come to find out, he has over 1500 DVDs and 3000 VHS tapes. Holy crap.
How the hell do you even store 3000 VHS tapes???
Old 08-17-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
No! None of my friends have more than I do. My collection, at about 240, is small compared to some of the people who post on this board, but it's much larger than any of my friends. Heck, I still have friends who don't own a DVD player, and one friend who does, but refuses to buy a DVD - he only rents them!

The thing that amazes me is the friends who buy the $49 DVD players and then can't play 1/2 of the DVDs which they rent or buy, for one reason or another!

One friend had one of the $49 ones, constantly had problems, swore on a bible (practically) that there was no difference in resolution between DVDs and VHSs, etc. Finally he tossed that DVD player and got a decent one and NOW he can see a difference.

So, got kind of sidetracked here, but it seems that the cheap DVD players are lacking!
Old 08-17-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

not personally...but I know of a few out there. like others here on the board, my friends think I've cracked. BB and Borders pretty much roll out the red carpet for me with Borders sometimes serving me up free java. they dig when I talk other customers into buying a few dvds that they didnt plan on. I rule all here on this side of town...unless laserdogg is close by!
Old 08-17-03, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
BB and Borders pretty much roll out the red carpet for me
Ha! Yeah, the guys at Best Buy know me pretty well too.

I've got about 441 right now (that's counting some of my personal home-made DVDs). My English teacher senior year had over 1200 DVDs, not to mention over 8,000 movies in his entire collection. That number spans almost every format imaginable. He's been collecting everything he could get his hands on for as long as he can remember.

He once told me that in college, whenever he had to study or write or paper or something, he would take out his reel-to-reel tapes that he had made of his favorite movies (ie. Citizen Kane) to listen to in the background. I can't imagine doing that.

But, 8,000!

Beat that.
Old 08-17-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
I had a neighbor that started collecting about a year after I did. He now has about 300 more than I, but out of around 600 of his DVDs, I would only want twenty or less. His tastes run a little off my beaten track.
Old 08-17-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope, no one that "I" personally know that has more than me. I have around 1000 now. I am a bargain hunter extraordinaire and have paid less than 50% MSRP for the collection, as a whole (which really isn't saying much these days, but in the good ole days, my collection was around 30% MSRP).

I remember back in Fall 1997, when I first bought my player. I had been buying a lot of Laserdiscs, because prices were dropping. Two friends of mine had purchased DVD Players (the first Sony player, top of the line at the time) a few months before me. I purchased the same player as them. I started buying them regularly off the bat, but my friends were doing the same. That winter, I had around 20 and one of my friends had close to 40. I thought, I'll never catch up to him, but I didn't really care either.

During the holidays, my wife (she was my girlfriend at the time) went out of town to visit a friend. When she came back, she mentioned that her friend's husband was surprised that my wife had even heard of DVDs (my wife is technologically-challenged). She then proceeded to tell me how many more DVDs they had than me. Something in me changed at that moment in time, and I have been obsessed with DVDs ever sense.
Old 08-17-03, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by pdjennings
Hehehe.... no, actually
That's because there is no one on the planet who has as many as you do, including major retails chains.
Old 08-17-03, 10:23 PM

I've also got the largest collection of anyone I personally know, but, of course, it's dwarfed by some on this list. Although during the VHS (dark) age a friend in college had many more tapes than me and I somehow imagine that he has me beat now in DVD's.
Old 08-17-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just about everyone here has more than me. But I dont really know you. Only a few dvdtalkers live in AZ. So probably not.
Old 08-17-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
no, my mom/step dad only have about 20, my sister has some I don't know how many but I doubt that many she's in college rasing her son.
Old 08-17-03, 10:32 PM

I have 35 DVDs and sadly I have no friends that have more, that I am aware of, I do have a friend however that buys CDs at an insane rate, he buys a handful of CDs everyweek, I am however only 22, so most people I know don't have the huge disposible incomes that some of the freaks on here do (meant to be a compliment, I seriously wish I could afford to buy 5-10 DVDs a week, college is expensive)
Old 08-17-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No one I know own more DVDs than me; other than the people here, of course.
Old 08-17-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't know anyone IRL with nearly as many DVDs (about 600) as I have except my cousin (not sure how many he has, but he's Tsar Chasm on this board). The other people I know who collect DVDs have around 100.
Old 08-17-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Conversation I have a lot.

Friend Bragging About His DVD Collection: Yeah, I got so many you wouldn't believe.

Me: How many do you have?

FBAHDVDC (smugly): Oh... seventy-five, eighty...

Me: Wow! Eighty! I wouldn't know what to do with that many DVDs.

... and I think that's a pretty good answer. In all honesty, anyone I know who's braggedabout their vast DVD collection generally get pretty shocked when I tell them I have over four hundred - and pretty resentful after I tell them how little I had to pay for it all.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.