Can Shatner save Star Trek?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-15-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From www.cinescape.com

The man who played Captain Kirk has an idea to boldly return to space.

With the future of the STAR TREK franchise in doubt and the premiere of the third season of ENTERPRISE in less than one month, William Shatner has told the press that he has an idea for a new direction to take TREK. "I'm trying to interest the powers -- and that has many levels to it -- for me to conceive another STAR TREK manifestation," Shatner told a reporter for The Sioux City Journal. "It would be a concept for a series."

Shatner didn't reveal any additional information about what his series would be or which timeframe his TREK would take place in.

I say let him have at it! Can't be any worse than what Berman has unleashed on us so far!
Old 08-15-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trek is dead. Paramount has chewed all the meat off the bones and is sucking out the marrow, only to spit it into the mouths of babes who haven’t a clue about SF story telling.

And, for all his faults, he can still act the tits of anything I've seen in the current regurgitation.
Old 08-15-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Wow, I grew up in Sioux City. What the hell was he doing talking to THAT ****** newspaper.

And I agree, at least he is still passionate about the subject. He couldn't be much worse, right?
Old 08-16-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If it ever comes to air, it'll end up being a butchered version of the "Starfleet Academy" idea they've been throwing around for years.

But, this is the most hopeful i've been about Trek in a long long time. Even though it'll never ever happen. I'd watch it for Shatner alone.
Old 08-16-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would check it out depending on what it's about and who is involved. But I agree with Wizdar's statement on Trek being dead.
Old 08-16-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Trek isn't dead. It just needs to take a decade-long sabbatical.
Old 08-16-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trek needs two new head people in charge. Thats about it. And shatner thinks he can save trek. Dare i say Star Trek V
Old 08-16-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd take Star Trek V over Voyager or Enterprise. Star Trek V failed at being Star Trek. Voyager and Enterprise failed at being "generic space show."
Old 08-16-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can see it now - Kirk, resurrected from the dead, heads Starfleet Academy and ogles all the women students. (of course, in Shatner's plot description, all the women students want the famous James T. Kirk)
Old 08-16-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I still love every episode. EVERY EPISODE!!!

Shatner can save anything.

His idea for movies after Generations in his books would have been far better than the movies that were released.
Old 08-16-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I hear his Idea has to do with Paint ball.
Old 08-16-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth BizRodian •<HR SIZE=1>Star Trek V failed at being Star Trek. Voyager and Enterprise failed at being "generic space show." <HR SIZE=1>

I like that.

das
Old 08-16-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whether his ideas for a new series would be good or bad, at least he's admitting Trek is in trouble. Could he be listenting to the voices of those who need to get lives? Perhaps Berman and Braga should give it a try.
Old 08-17-03, 12:50 AM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
I'd take Star Trek V over Voyager or Enterprise. Star Trek V failed at being Star Trek. Voyager and Enterprise failed at being "generic space show."
True 'dat!

Can Shat save Star Trek? Probably...

I liked what he did in the TekWar books... but what does that have to do with anything.
Old 08-17-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ebert summed up my feelings on Star Trek pretty well in his Star Trek: Nemesis review:
There might have been a time when the command deck of Starship Enterprise looked exciting and futuristic, but these days it looks like a communications center for security guards. Starships rocket at light speeds halfway across the universe, but when they get into battles the effect is roughly the same as on board a World War II bomber. Fearsome death rays strike the Enterprise, and what happens? Sparks fly out from the ceiling and the crew gets bounced around in their seats like passengers on the No. 36 bus. This far in the future they wouldn't have sparks because they wouldn't have electricity, because in a world where you can beam matter--beam it, mind you--from here to there, power obviously no longer lives in the wall and travels through wires.

I've also had it with the force shield that protects the Enterprise. The power on this thing is always going down. In movie after movie after movie I have to sit through sequences during which the captain is tersely informed that the front shield is down to 60 percent, or the back shield is down to 10 percent, or the side shield is leaking energy, and the captain tersely orders that power be shifted from the back to the sides or all put in the front, or whatever, and I'm thinking, life is too short to sit through 10 movies in which the power is shifted around on these shields. The shields have been losing power for decades now, and here it is the Second Generation of Star Trek, and they still haven't fixed them. Maybe they should get new batteries.

...I think it is time for "Star Trek" to make a mighty leap forward another 1,000 years into the future, to a time when starships do not look like rides in a 1970s amusement arcade, when aliens do not look like humans with funny foreheads, and when wonder, astonishment and literacy are permitted back into the series. Star Trek was kind of terrific once, but now it is a copy of a copy of a copy.
Old 08-17-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Fact #1:
Shatner's post-TNG books have offered more exciting ideas than any of the "canon" small- or big-screen Trek output to be produced concurrently.

Fact #2:
Shatner's return to Trek might just provide the media and public attention needed to make current franchise producers, writers, etc. ditch a long-standing "just punching in" mentality.

Fact #3:
Not to get morbid, but the Shat-man's not getting younger. If he's got someting to offer, I'd love to see it... while we still have him.
Old 08-17-03, 11:30 AM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Fact #1:
Shatner's post-TNG books have offered more exciting ideas than any of the "canon" small- or big-screen Trek output to be produced concurrently.

Fact #2:
Shatner's return to Trek might just provide the media and public attention needed to make current franchise producers, writers, etc. ditch a long-standing "just punching in" mentality.

Fact #3:
Not to get morbid, but the Shat-man's not getting younger. If he's got someting to offer, I'd love to see it... while we still have him.
Old 08-17-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Certainly can't be any worse than what we've got.

Even if it were campy, at least it would be fun.

In theory, anyway.
Old 08-17-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Originally posted by Jepthah

Even if it were campy, at least it would be fun.

I know it's not highly regarded by most, but I love Generations and mostly for Shatner's performance in it. I think he realized it was probably his last shot and just let loose. The parts on the Ent-B are especially funny at times.
Old 08-17-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Star Trek V.

No, he cannot save Star Trek.
Old 08-17-03, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by chanster
Star Trek V.

No, he cannot save Star Trek.
Star Trek V = Way better than Star Trek: Nemesis. At least with Bill, you can expect a lot of action and a lot of humor. Personally, I don't know WHY Shatner would want to get involved with Star Trek now, seeing what they've done to a franchise he helped build, but I'm interested to see what his idea was.

I heard a rumor about a year ago that he wanted to play the grandfather of James T. Kirk on Enterprise and be a recurring character. Not a TERRIBLE idea, but one that isn't likely to jump start the franchise either. I'd love to see a young Kirk/young Spock movie with new actors that's bookended by Shatner & Nimoy scenes (which was essentially Harve Bennett's idea for Starfleet Academy). In fact, that's about the ONLY new Star Trek movie I'd be interested in seeing right now - one that in some way incorporates some of the original crew.
Old 08-17-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by Spooky
Star Trek V = Way better than Star Trek: Nemesis.
Give me a break. Nemesis is certainly not the best film in the series, but there is no criteria by which it can be judged a worse film than Star Trek V. To say otherwise is to act deliberately obstinate for the sake of doing so.
Old 08-17-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fact #1:
...didn't he write some novels where the borg bring Kirk back to life and work with the Romulans?

Are these what you're talking about?
Old 08-17-03, 11:11 PM

Can Bill Shatner save Star Trek in a word Hell No! Star Trek is dead and buried get over this fact you will feel alot better rather than some fanboys who are in denial.
Old 08-18-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
...didn't he write some novels where the borg bring Kirk back to life and work with the Romulans?

Are these what you're talking about?

Yup.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.