Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Seeking info on King Kong, others

Old 08-15-03, 12:16 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard the original King Kong is being released sometime in 2004; does anyone have more specific info on when? Also, I would like to find out when the following will be available on DVD, if ever:

Moulin Rouge-the 1952 version
Gold Diggers of 1933
Gold Diggers of 1935
Diamonds Are Forever
Old 08-15-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER has been on DVD for ages. I've got it on the shelf in one of the 007 sets.

All the Bond flicks are coming out again for the Holidays if you can't find an old copy.
Old 08-15-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 2004 date for Kong is an estimate. The film needs extensive restoration work, which is being actively performed now at Warner. They have plans to do a pretty deluxe edition of this, probably much like the 2-disc Citizen Kane, Singing in the Rain, etc.

There are no official dates (and I haven't heard an update in a while), but you can fully expect to see this within the next year or two.
Old 08-15-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would expect Kong to get released in '05, to cash in on the hype for the Peter Jackson remake.
Warner has already said that the only thing really holding back a Batman SE is the 'desire' to tie it to the coat-tails of a theatrical release.
Old 08-15-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
The 2004 date for Kong is an estimate. The film needs extensive restoration work, which is being actively performed now at Warner. They have plans to do a pretty deluxe edition of this, probably much like the 2-disc Citizen Kane, Singing in the Rain, etc.
It looked fine on the Laser Disk released in the 90's. You have to remember that it is a 1933 film. It will never be as clean as a recent movie.

Is there really that much material to be worthy of 2 disks? The movie itself is only around 90 minutes. They didn't make documentaries back then like they do now.

Possible extras that might exist:
Trailers
Images of movie posters.
Photos taken on the set
Possible effects tests
Storyboards

Unless they put on a bunch of modern documentaries about the movie, I can't see much there.
Old 08-15-03, 03:18 PM

I take it resinrats has not seen the DVDs of Citizen Kane and the just-reissued Casablanca.
Old 08-15-03, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by ckolchak
i would expect Kong to get released in '05, to cash in on the hype for the Peter Jackson remake.
Wouldn't that really be a re-remake?
Old 08-15-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by resinrats
It looked fine on the Laser Disk released in the 90's. You have to remember that it is a 1933 film. It will never be as clean as a recent movie.

Is there really that much material to be worthy of 2 disks? The movie itself is only around 90 minutes. They didn't make documentaries back then like they do now.

Possible extras that might exist:
Trailers
Images of movie posters.
Photos taken on the set
Possible effects tests
Storyboards

Unless they put on a bunch of modern documentaries about the movie, I can't see much there.
Everything you just said could also be said about Citizen Kane. Or the Universal Monster films. Or Casablanca. Or dozens of other films that have come out in great DVD editions with tons of supplements.
Old 08-15-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Son of Kong would make a nice extra.
Old 08-15-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, it would. That's a great idea. I think that sequel is pretty weak, but I do like it for the effects. I certainly wouldn't pay big bucks to own it... but if they wanted to throw it in as a 'bonus' (or up the price $5-10 or so), I'd be on board.
Old 08-15-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kinnda like Son of Kong, but everyone so far is right... It should be released as a bonus feature on King Kong.

Does anyone know if some of the famous lost footage (the spide pit ect.) will be restored?
Old 08-17-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
According to every source I'm familiar with, the spider pit footage is probably gone forever. The only two references to it are a conceptual sketch and a production still.

The spider pit and one of the log crossing sequences were actually filmed for Willis O'Brien's aborted Creation epic. Many of the Kong Island miniature jungle sets and dinosaur puppets were also made for Creation. Unlike other Kong sequences (Kong munching on a Skull Island native, and later a native New Yorker; dropping a woman from a skyscraper as he looks for Ann Darrow) cut out in later re-releases because they were considered too horrifying; the spider pit was edited out before Kong was originally released because it interrupted the flow of action.

Hopefully, some of O'Brien's existing Creation footage will make it on to the Kong DVD as supplements. Along with any still existing materials from other unrealized projects such as the War Eagles.

IMHO, the Kong DVD must have a Willis O'Brien documentary. Even if it's just a short 15-30 minute, Ken Burns style piece. O'Brien had a very interesting life, equally tragic and triumphant. He and his work have greatly influenced what we see today. If there had been no Willis O'Brien, there would not be a Ray Harryhausen, a Ray Bradbury or even a Peter Jackson as we know them. If there were no Harryhausen, there would not be several dozen of today's major SFX wizards. And just imagine all the people Bradbury has influenced with his writing, and all those Jackson's work is influencing now.

Did I just hijack this thread. Sorry.
Old 08-17-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ckolchak
A King Kong remake? Why, Peter, why? How about doing The Hobbit for us?
Old 08-17-03, 05:13 PM

Warner has already said that the only thing really holding back a Batman SE is the 'desire' to tie it to the coat-tails of a theatrical release
What is this obsession by the studios to tie an older film's release to the coat-tails of a theatrical release? IMHO "Batman" has enough of a fan base that it does not need to be joined at the hip to a "new theatrical" DVD release. This is the same reason that the R1 "All That Jazz" was held up. It was ready to go out the door in the 4th quarter of 2002. Of course I'm not seeing any "Giant" ad campaign to tie it to "Chicago", which is supposedly the film it was to be joined at the hip to. And if Kong is ready to go out the door in 2003 or 2004 don't hold it hostage to the Jackson version's release on DVD.
Old 08-18-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with you, Dragonslayer. But I also heard 2005 for '33 Kong on DVD. And...
Of course I'm not seeing any "Giant" ad campaign to tie it to "Chicago", which is supposedly the film it was to be joined at the hip to.
Full page ad in the new Entertainment Weekly: "If you liked 'Chicago' you'll love 'All That Jazz'". I don't really follow that logic, but then I suppose it sounds better than the truth: "If you liked 'Chicago' you'll probably also like 'All That Jazz'".
Old 08-18-03, 05:06 AM

Full page ad in the new Entertainment Weekly
Magazines must be the only place that they are advertising. I don't have time to page thru every mag to look for the ads.
Old 08-18-03, 09:35 AM
Cool New Member

Steve,

Thanks for your reply on Diamonds Are Forever. I haven't had any luck finding it through Internet searches except at Amazon, where they were asking $35. Other places I searched either didn't list it or listed it as "discontinued".

Any news out there on the other films I listed?