Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox and DD 5.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox and DD 5.1

What accessory do I need to buy in order to get my Xbox to support Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound? Can I use the Digital A/v Pck even if I don't have a High Def TV?
Old 08-15-03, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
you need the advanced av pack and a receiver capable of 5.1 surround and an optical input. If your tv supports s-video, you're good. I think it might even have a connection for regular video... too lazy to look. I'm sure someone else will have a better answer.
Old 08-15-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Sounds good to me Trigger. My tv isn't HDTV either. The av pack will work fine.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-15-03 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-15-03, 09:21 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, get the advanced A/V pack (it has composite and S-video out puts). The HD pack is simply component video. So if you have component inputs you can use them, you just won't be able to use the HD modes if your TV isn't HD. It's still a slight step up from S-video (really only noticeable on larger TV's though, i.e. >27"). I just use the advanced pack myself, as I use my component inputs for my DVD player.

But you must by an optical cable seperately to get DD5.1. You can't get it using just the composite audio cables that come in the pack. They really should have labeled that on the package. They have the DD 5.1 logo on there, so I assumed it had all you needed (with a coax for digital out rather than optical) and had to make a second trip to the store for an optical cable the next day.
Old 08-15-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there an easy way to have both your DVD player and XBox connected to the 5.1? I have yet to get the Advanced A/V pack but I really want it, but we already have a DVD player hooked and and there's only 1 hook-up on the blasted receiver.
Old 08-15-03, 09:40 AM
Retired

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Is there an easy way to have both your DVD player and XBox connected to the 5.1? I have yet to get the Advanced A/V pack but I really want it, but we already have a DVD player hooked and and there's only 1 hook-up on the blasted receiver.
Here's how I have mine set up.

I have my DVD running directly to the component inputs on my TV, and the sound in the 5.1 coax input on the DVD/LD labled a/v slot on my receiver.

I have my x-box plugged into the S-video and optical 5.1 input onthe DVD/LD slot.

The surround works fine with both. So if you have coax and optical for where you have the DVD player plugged in, and can hook the DVD player video directly into the tv rather than the receiver slot, you should be able to do the same.
Old 08-15-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Here's how I have mine set up.

I have my DVD running directly to the component inputs on my TV, and the sound in the 5.1 coax input on the DVD/LD labled a/v slot on my receiver.

I have my x-box plugged into the S-video and optical 5.1 input onthe DVD/LD slot.

The surround works fine with both. So if you have coax and optical for where you have the DVD player plugged in, and can hook the DVD player video directly into the tv rather than the receiver slot, you should be able to do the same.
If I have a coax cable already, and am going to use the Xbox to play DVDs as well as games, can I use a coax cable, or does the Xbox only support an optical cable?
Old 08-15-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Xbox only supports optical.
Old 08-15-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Cool that's what I was thinking.. DVD is already hooked up coax. Now to justify the extra $30 or so to buy new cables.
Old 08-15-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

man, xbox 2 had better have a DVI output...

j
Old 08-15-03, 01:00 PM

$30 for optical cables? Why? You can get some for $5-$7 at music shops. Optical cables arent like analog cables, they dont pick up interference so you really dont need to buy the big brand expensive type. I dont think you need the big brand expensive ones for analog either, but thats a whole new discussion.

If you dont have both optical and coax, and you cant do what Josh suggested, you can buy a toslink splitter, should also be available at music shops.
Old 08-15-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally posted by menaz
$30 for optical cables? Why? You can get some for $5-$7 at music shops. Optical cables arent like analog cables, they dont pick up interference so you really dont need to buy the big brand expensive type. I dont think you need the big brand expensive ones for analog either, but thats a whole new discussion.

If you dont have both optical and coax, and you cant do what Josh suggested, you can buy a toslink splitter, should also be available at music shops.

I agree.

I've got an OPTICAL SPLITTER from Radio Shack and at least one optical cable and they work GREAT.

I've got my XBOX and PSX2 going to the optical splitter which goes to my DD 5.1 Reciever. I use a video game S-video switcher that also routes the video signal to my reciever.

Once you go 5.1 with XBOX you'll be blown away.
Old 08-16-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo

Once you go 5.1 with XBOX you'll be blown away.
Yes, I agree... It really is a world of differance in gaming..
Old 08-17-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually, you can use a coaxial digital cable with the XBox, but you'll have to do a little work for it, and you still need one of the special AV packs: http://www.wrongcrowd.com/xboxspdif/
Old 08-18-03, 12:57 AM

Thats a great link Drexl. Eventhough I dont need it now, it is good information to have. Thanks
Old 08-19-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone been able to find a digital coaxial splitter or Y-connector.
Old 08-19-03, 12:40 PM
Retired

The normal composite Y-connectors should work fine.
Old 08-19-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!
Old 08-21-03, 01:59 PM

I just bought an Advanced AV pack, but when I just use the optical link the sound doesn't work? Only when I have the Composite's hooked up alongside the optical is there sound. The video is fine. I've tried 3 different optical cables and none of them work and I have it set up in my receiver menu correctly? Am I missing something?
Old 08-21-03, 02:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
You probably don't have your receiver set correctly. I'm pretty clueless with AV stuff, and it took me a few minutes of button pressing to set my receiver to optical input mose or something.
Old 08-21-03, 03:31 PM

No, I have my receiver set to optical. Could the unit be a defect?
Old 08-21-03, 05:26 PM
Retired

Possibly, or the optical plugs on your receiver may be bad.