Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I please have your opinions of Alias?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those who like the show and those who don't are equally encouraged to share their opinions.

Since I bought my very first DVD, I have never been more on the fence than with Alias: Season One. I go to Amazon and just stare at the DVD Box and my finger starts to twitch over my keyboard in hope that I'll ok it to place the order.

But I really came aboard to the show late (Super Bowl), I wanted to get into it, but I found myself totally unable to understand the show enough to really care.

I love Jennifer Garner and I was hoping I could get some opinions from the members here on whether or not I should buy the DVDs and catch up that way?

Is the show really that good or is it a lot of hype? Is it something that you think has a great deal of rewatchability (is that a word?)? I only own 2 other drama television shows on DVD, Buffy and the X-Files, but those are my favorite 2 drama shows of all time. They are on regular tv enough, where I really don't need the DVDs, I just wanted them.

Getting Alias would be a gamble because I'd have to get into the show through watching the DVDs and like it enough to get me hooked on watching it in the fall. I didn't see a lot of last season, but enough where I'd be ok. But I don't think I'd spend the time trying to watch it if I don't get Season 1 and like it.

What do you smart folks think I should do? Thanks.
Old 08-14-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
My wife and I have been watching since Day 1, and I plan to pick up the Season 1 set to watch it all over again.

Great acting, great writing, a strong arc, characters that grow and change, surprises and twists, humor, it's got it all.

I'd highly recommend it.
Old 08-15-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've also watched the show since the very first episode, and although I'm a fan, I don't know if I would buy the DVDs, either. I wish the writers hadn't obliterated all of the SD cells last season. I'm afraid that this upcoming season is going to play too much on Syd and Vaughn's relationship (or lack thereof, since he's apparently married now).

I have a friend who got into the show because of the Superbowl episode as well and he was really hyped about the season ending cliffhanger. I, on the otherhand, was disappointed and thought it was kind of dumb.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the show, but I fear that it's best storyline (the SD-6 component) was written off already.

Old 08-15-03, 12:48 AM

I'm not really buying into syd's and vaughn's relationship..she needs to get over him..he's just going to hurt her in the end...atleast I think that. I love this show....I also loved la femme nikita. I wonder if that show has dvds..hmmm.
Old 08-15-03, 12:54 AM

I personally love the show and have every intention of buying the DVD's. The show never ceases to amaze me with it's well thought out story lines. I've taped every episode and have watched them all multiple times. I think the show has good repeatability. My recommendation is to find a place that has the DVD's available to rent and to rent the first disc. In general, the format of the episodes in season one is the same, so you should be able to see if it's gonna hook you in the first 3 or 4 episodes.
Old 08-15-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Alias is one of my favorite shows right now. It was the 2nd best series on TV last season IMO right after Angel.

The first season starts off a little slow. It's right after the halfway point with "The Box Part I & II"(with a very surprising guest star) that the show really takes off. From that moment on all the way through the end of Season 2, I've been hooked. There were a few weak episodes after the Super Bowl "reboot", but the pace definitely picks up leading up to the shocking cliffhanger in the season finale.

I definitely recommend giving Season 1 a try. Especially since you own Buffy on DVD which is also one of my all-time favorite shows(I even own the mediocre Season 6 on DVD).
Old 08-15-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
IMO the first season rocked.

Hard.

Great acting. Great stories.

Your first episode was the reboot [the purpose of which was to make the show more accessable to new viewers], so watching it from the first season onward would definintely help you understand it better.

If you DO bite the bullet, I suggest you buy it from Overstock.com. They have it for $39.99, which seems to be the cheapest on the 'net. Then, swing on over to HERE and you'll find a 10% off link that'll bring your total down to $37.31 WITH shipping. [which, if you need further rationalization, is close to half of the MSRP ]
Old 08-15-03, 02:48 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
This is one of my favorites right now.

I think it has one of the best casts on television right now. Victor Garber is great as Syd's dad and Lena Olin was just a tremendous get to play Syd's mom. Ron Rifkin is also great as Sloane.

as long as the show doesn't get bogged down in the Syd/Vaughn romance it should continue to be one of the better show on television.
Old 08-15-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hate it. Oh wait...no I don't...just run sd-6.com and sd-1.com

It is a great show and I just placed an order for Season 1 at Overstock today because the pre-order I had at Amazon.com was given away at my message boards to a user...

But like many said before, great acting, great writing, just a great show - I wasn't all that happy with the direction after the post-superbowl episode, but it should be quite interesting to see where J.J. goes with the story this season...

And yeah, Lena Olin...
Old 08-15-03, 04:43 AM

I love this show, and getting both seasons on DVD, The first season was very different. I loved that every episode ended with a kick ass cliffhanger. I read in an interview that they wanted to slow down the second season, and change the basis of the show. The one problem that I think you might have watching the first season is that you will now know what eventully happens to the charactors and it might spoil your viewing, like watching return of the jedi before star wars.
Old 08-15-03, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I came into the show about halfway into season one and thanks to repeats on ABC Family, was able to catch up.

It's one of my favorite shows and I fully intend to get the first season boxset when it comes out. I'll finally be able to see all of first season in order this time.
Old 08-15-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Uh, no pics?

Alias is one of the very few shows I watch, but I'm not sure I would reccommend S1. Lots of stuff happened that doesn't really matter anymore.

Oh, and

Old 08-15-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
I'd give Alias a B+, and though I watch it, I wouldn't buy it. Since you haven't seen it though, consider buying it used on half.com or renting it from Netflix. I think it's good, but most episodes are very similar to each other (so I have to be in a certain mood to watch it--kind of tired and not into an intellectual challenge--it has intrigue etc, but it's more of an action show.)

tasha
Old 08-15-03, 10:47 AM

Love the show. I'd get season 1, simply because it lays the foundation and gives the background for all the stuff that has led to this point.

As for:
Originally posted by Cibo Matto
I'm not really buying into syd's and vaughn's relationship..she needs to get over him..he's just going to hurt her in the end...atleast I think that.
Check out the latest news:
The scoop
Old 08-15-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dig the show, but I've only seen about the first 5 episodes of Season 1 & the big post-Super Bowl episode which IMO is probably one of the greatest single episodes of Television I've ever seen.

You asked of Garner is THAT good or is she just a lot of hype & I think she is THAT good. She carries the show. IF anything the show may be a bit overhyped. I have a little bit of a hard time caring about some of the other characters & the scenes that don't involve Garner sometimes drag. Especially the character of Vaughan who is such a one dimensional character from what I've seen. He is just the token good looking guy love interest & the actor is very bland. That said, I will definitely be buying season 1 (& the only TV box sets I own are The Simpsons, if that tells you anything) COMPLETELY b/c of Jennifer Gardner.
Old 08-15-03, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by guywall
Check out the latest news:
The scoop
Talk about hitting the jackpot - can you imagine being in love with Jennifer Garner for years, then catching her on the rebound from her marriage?
Old 08-15-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Meatpants
Talk about hitting the jackpot - can you imagine being in love with Jennifer Garner for years, then catching her on the rebound from her marriage?

I'm thinking there was probably something going on before she split up; and they just waited until now to confirm it.
Old 08-15-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy crap. Garner is 31, I thought she was in her early 20s.
Old 08-15-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll chime in as someone who doesn't really care for the show. I watched the entire first season and part of the 2nd season before I quit watching it.

I had 2 major problems with the show that kept me from really enjoying it:
1. Jennifer Garner's character is too much of a cry baby. It seemed like at least once an episode she'd be in tears about something. She's supposed to be this semi-tough double agent, yet the slightest emotional distress causes her to start gushing out the tears.

2. We were just never given any reason to dislike SD6. There were a couple mentions of 'bad' things that they've done, but other than empty words from the FBI guys, no evidence was given that they were really bad. In fact, most of the first season I was expecting the FBI guys to really be the bad guys and not with the FBI at all.

I think I was just wanting this show to be a replacement of La Femme Nikita and it just isn't. It tries to be, but its just too irritating to watch everyone (mainly Sidney) act so irrationally and emotionally. I can see that they want us to know that she has a soft-side, but having her cry every episode isn't the best way to do it.

After a while I realized I was just getting irritated by the show instead of enjoying it.
Old 08-15-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know enough about your own personal taste (although Buffy and X-Files are both great shows) to comment on what *you* should do, but...

I love Alias. It is far too early to tell what my ultimate view of the show will be, but right now, I find it to be the show that I look forward to the most. I find every episode to be great fun, and I'm constantly amazed at how 'fresh' the writers manage to keep things. Just as soon as I start to think they've written themselves into a corner or are about to start a bunch of 'been-there-done-that' monotony, they pull off something that has my jaw on the floor.

I think the show has great re-watch value and I will definitely be grabbing the Season 1+2 DVD sets this fall/winter.
Old 08-15-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the show a lot, but I just don't see it as having any rewatch value. I'll watch the new eps though, but won't bother with reruns.
Old 08-15-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jeraden
I'll chime in as someone who doesn't really care for the show. I watched the entire first season and part of the 2nd season before I quit watching it.

I had 2 major problems with the show that kept me from really enjoying it:
1. Jennifer Garner's character is too much of a cry baby. It seemed like at least once an episode she'd be in tears about something. She's supposed to be this semi-tough double agent, yet the slightest emotional distress causes her to start gushing out the tears.

2. We were just never given any reason to dislike SD6. There were a couple mentions of 'bad' things that they've done, but other than empty words from the FBI guys, no evidence was given that they were really bad. In fact, most of the first season I was expecting the FBI guys to really be the bad guys and not with the FBI at all.

I think I was just wanting this show to be a replacement of La Femme Nikita and it just isn't. It tries to be, but its just too irritating to watch everyone (mainly Sidney) act so irrationally and emotionally. I can see that they want us to know that she has a soft-side, but having her cry every episode isn't the best way to do it.

After a while I realized I was just getting irritated by the show instead of enjoying it.
Good points. I also get irritated sometimes with Syd's waterworks. Maybe that's something to appeal to the female fans who don't think her ass-kicking is enough to empower her? Show a more sensitive side to Syd?

Old 08-15-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I really enjoy the show and have already preordered S1 (eagerly awaiting S2 showing up for preorder). I have to disagree with huzefa on the replay value. There was/is so much going on with SD-6 and Rembaldi (don't worry I'm not spoiling anything) that at least I really would benefit from a second or third viewing.

I do agree that the waters works have got to go. Yes she can be sensitive and kick-butt at the same time but the high emotional quotient is not appealing to this female. Interesting storylines, good acting, and three very hot actors are the reasons I tune in.
Old 08-15-03, 10:35 PM

Too many resets. I prefer the setup in season 1 and first part of season 2. Second half of season 2 is a bit confusing for me as well.
Old 08-16-03, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm leaning towards not getting it, but thanks for all of the info. I think I need to rent the first season. I just remind myself about tv shows, that I won't watch them as often as my movies. I have the 2 shows that I mentioned (X-Files, Buffy) and one sitcom, Friends, and I just don't watch them very often after the first run through. I think I'm just needful of more Jennifer Garner viewing material. But there is so little of tv next season that we look forward to, I'll probably be satisfied seeing her every week of the upcoming season. A big Alias marathon from beginning to the end of last season would be the perfect solution, but I probably won't get that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.