Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Futurama Season 1: how does it compare to Season 2?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at buying both sets at BB for $10 the combined purchase, but I don't think I've ever even seen an episode from Season 1. Is Zoidberg there? Is season 1 similar to Simpsons season 1, in that it takes you awhile to get used to the differences in voice, etc.?

What about the DVD? Is there a commentary on each episode like in season 2?

Thanks for your input!
Old 08-13-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Season 2 was good, more satires of today's events/movies/shows. I can't comment on the actual DVD, sorry.
Old 08-13-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Futurama Season 1: how does it compare to Season 2?

Originally posted by Toad
I'm looking at buying both sets at BB for $10 the combined purchase, but I don't think I've ever even seen an episode from Season 1. Is Zoidberg there? Is season 1 similar to Simpsons season 1, in that it takes you awhile to get used to the differences in voice, etc.?

What about the DVD? Is there a commentary on each episode like in season 2?

Thanks for your input!
I hope you are aware that it's $10 OFF the combined purchase.
Old 08-13-03, 08:39 AM

heh...I was just gonna point that out. Well, futrama is different from the Simpsons in that it starts out right from the begining. The characters are defined (Zoidberg is there) and the animation is where it should be. The Volume 2 Discs have a little more in special features and animated menus compared to the first volume with stationary menus. There are also a few more episodes (about 5 I think) and the transfer is a little better. If you don't have both seasons, I would highly recommend getting them.
Old 08-13-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

read this to see the specs of S1

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=2666

and S2

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=2532

UK has S3

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=3495
Old 08-13-03, 09:18 AM

Volume 1 has some really good episodes, like "Hell Is Other Robots", "Love's Labours Lost In Space" and "Fry And The Slurm Factory". Picture quality is good, and while there aren't dozens of extras on it, each episode has a commentary track which runs hot ("Hell Is Other Robots") or cold ("A Big Piece Of Garbage"). The first draft script and animatic from "Space Pilot 3000" and early character sketches are interesting in showing the direction the entire show could have gone.

Volume 2 - which I picked up last night but haven't watched yet - has commentaries on each episode, an animatic, more character sketches, and a breakdown of the alien alphabet you see in graffiti and signs on the show. This collection covers all of season 2, which most viewers felt was the best season storywise, with episodes like "Brannigan, Begin Again", "The Problem With Popplers", "A Head In The Polls", "Xmas Story" and "Raging Bender".

If you like Futurama, you'll love the collections. If you love Futurama, you'll spend a lot of time looking for small gags (my favorite is from "My Three Suns" - Bender wearing an apron that reads "To Serve Man" while he cooks) and slowing down the faster animated sequences (In the credit sequence, look for the guy with a hook for a hand traveling in the tubes, as well as Amy, Zapp and Kif).

To answer your question: season 1 is good and quickly shakes off the "new show" uncertainty that lasts for a half season in other shows. In season 2, the creative elements mesh wonderfully and the show really finds its groove.
Old 08-13-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope Season 3 comes out soon I want the video game episode.
Old 08-13-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
And you couldn't find it online pixyboi? tisk tisk tisk.

I'm enjoying season 2. I would rate them both the same. the package is first grade and the season episodes are great. got to love the anthology of interest and Deep south.
Old 08-13-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course I could find it online.. however there's a nice 20 inch difference between my TV and my computer monitor, comfortable couch compared to drab desk chair (not to mention my ass is already parked in a desk chair for 8.5 hours a day at work), and I won't go into the overall image quality differences between a DVD and a computer file.

Plus that same episode has Human Bender..
Old 08-13-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I would have to say that Futurama has been consistently much better than the Simpsons ever since Futurama first started airing. Buy Volume 1 with no fear. Its a little frustrating that Fox would axe Futurama while keeping the Simpsons around.
Old 08-13-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
fox axed it for the simple reason that they didn't have total control over it. sad sad sad
Old 08-13-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's supposed to be the last season now, right?
Old 08-13-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Class316
It's supposed to be the last season now, right?
Sunday August 10th had the last episode.
Old 08-13-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
It looks like set 3 covers up through the 69th episode of the show, so the fourth set will only have 13 episodes, correct?
Old 08-13-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The DVDs are being released in production order rather than broadcast order, since FOX screwed things up royally when broadcasting. Therefore:

Production Season 1:13 Vol. 1 DVD:13
Production Season 2:19 Vol. 2 DVD:19
Production Season 3:22 Vol.3 DVD:22

So there will be 18 episodes on the four, and final, volume of Futurama.
Old 08-13-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Sunday August 10th had the last episode.
you serious?? It didn't seem to end the series!!
Old 08-13-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Class316
you serious?? It didn't seem to end the series!!
It was a makeshift ending. The episode was completed a year ago with the idea that it would give some finality if the show was to be cancelled, and leave enough room open if the show was to continue.

Unfortunately, the former happened .
Old 08-13-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Futurama was on the edge for a while and the production crew had no idea if fox would renew.. so they really didn't have the chance to make due on a "series ender"
Old 08-13-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Might another network pick up Futurama? Like Comedy Central or Nickelloadian?
Old 08-13-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cartoon Network wants to do it. I read a tidbit on it over at www.animated-movies.net today.. the thing is that there are big hurdles to jump one being Fox has to be involved one way or the other even if they won't be airing it, and secondly the show costs a lot of money for a cable network to shell out.
Old 08-13-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, in the beginning of the final episode this past sunday, it said See you on some other channel so maybe there is some hope that new episodes will be on another network. Also, I read somewhere that it cost about $2 million per episode to produce and if true probably has alot to do with the show being canceled.
Old 08-13-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

well the demand is high for it. atleast it's on the table on things to talk about. The CG effects alone would be enough to break it. Makes you wonder how popular Cartoon network would be if they saved the series..
Old 08-13-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm.. well.. Futurama has been one of CN's highest rated shows since it started on Adult Swim.. I can only imagine that if they funded a new season those numbers would sky-rocket. I'm not aware of all the numbers invovled, but I can't imagine it LOSING money if CN ponies up the dough. Somebody prove me wrong though.
Old 08-13-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Fandango
Well, in the beginning of the final episode this past sunday, it said See you on some other channel so maybe there is some hope that new episodes will be on another network. Also, I read somewhere that it cost about $2 million per episode to produce and if true probably has alot to do with the show being canceled.

No, what has to do with the show being canned was Fox throwing it around, pre-empting it for Football or not showing it at all. the issue is Fox doesn't own a majority of Futurama and doesn't have total control over it and has less take in from what the show makes because of that. Fox figured no reason to promote the show and let it die in a ratings dumping ground. Fox also did this with family guy and look at the rating numbers for that. I think fox is kicking themselves right now seeing what two shows they lost and have been golden tickets for another network.

I don't see how CN would lose any cash if they produced new shows.
Old 08-13-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Fandango
That much for a 20 minute cartoon?????

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.