DVD Talk
80s Classic "Night Of the Comet" on DVD 10.28.2003 -- but... [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : 80s Classic "Night Of the Comet" on DVD 10.28.2003 -- but...

Rogue588
08-12-03, 09:19 PM
Read about the release on DigitalBits.com.

Unfortunately, the company releasing it are building a reputation for crappy transfers..

Roy28
08-12-03, 11:17 PM
Dang, I was hoping someone like Anchor Bay or Elite would get their hands on this one.

In any case, I thought this film was owned by Fox.

movielib
08-12-03, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Roy28
Dang, I was hoping someone like Anchor Bay or Elite would get their hands on this one.

In any case, I thought this film was owned by Fox.
My old VHS is Fox. Rogue588, what company is supposed to be releasing it?

Anyway, I thought the "but..." from the thread title was going to be that it was being released in full screen only. At least that wasn't it.

Roy28
08-12-03, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by movielib
My old VHS is Fox. Rogue588, what company is supposed to be releasing it?

Anyway, I thought the "but..." from the thread title was going to be that it was being released in full screen only. At least that wasn't it.

The company releasing it is "New Video". I browsed through a few of their titles at Dvdplanet and most are full frame (although, to be fair, they seem to release a lot of documentaries which were probably shot that way). The few widescreen titles I found were non-anamorphic.

I have a few of their releases - Awful Truth 1 & 2, Legend of Ron Jeremy and a couple of others - They're not too bad, and the Ron Jeremy Disc has commentary and deleted scenes, so maybe there is some hope.

Rogue588
08-13-03, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by movielib
My old VHS is Fox. Rogue588, what company is supposed to be releasing it?According to DigitalBits it's a company called Pacific Family/Triumph.

Roy28
08-13-03, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Rogue588
According to DigitalBits it's a company called Pacific Family/Triumph.

Sorry, you're correct - I misread the digitalbits article. Anyone know anything about Pacific Family/Triumph? - I've never even heard of them.

jonathan.e
08-13-03, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Roy28
Sorry, you're correct - I misread the digitalbits article. Anyone know anything about Pacific Family/Triumph? - I've never even heard of them.

The same idiots responsible for the Final Countdown disaster. Stay far, far away from anything with their name on it.

Rogue588
08-13-03, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by jonathan.e
The same idiots responsible for the Final Countdown disaster. Stay far, far away from anything with their name on it. tFC was THAT bad..? I read some of the "reviews" on Amazon, but wasn't sure how serious to take 'em..

Perhaps I should look around for some more reviews..

movielib
08-13-03, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by jonathan.e
The same idiots responsible for the Final Countdown disaster. Stay far, far away from anything with their name on it.
That's quite sad. I've never seen that version of The Final Countdown (I got my copy from R4 Australia) but I've read much about what a disaster it was.

I know Night of the Comet isn't a major title but it's well thought of by many and certainly has a decent cult following. I, for one, love it. I don't know why Fox would not either release it themselves or farm it out to a good company.

Rogue588
08-13-03, 12:56 AM
Found one...

-eek- (http://www.modamag.com/finalcountdown_dvd.htm)

speedy1961
08-13-03, 08:35 AM
Found one...

Clarify Por Favor....

Geofferson
08-13-03, 09:38 AM
I'm not going to hold my hopes for this one.

zeek
10-31-03, 08:47 AM
Too bad this turned out not to be true... Guess I'll go ahead and burn myself a DVD from TiVo (played on Cinemax several months ago) and live with fullscreen for now :(

**disclaimer: DVD for personal use ONLY!!! considered TimeShifting.

zeek

marty888
10-31-03, 09:04 AM
Read about the release on DigitalBits.com.

...DigitalBits ...... continuing their record for accurate information.

-rolleyes-

djtoell
10-31-03, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by marty888
...DigitalBits ...... continuing their record for accurate information.

-rolleyes-

I doubt it's the fault of The Digital Bits that a completely untrustworhy company didn't actually meet their announced release date on films that they probably didn't have the rights to in the first place. It ain't TDB that deserves your eye rolling.

DJ

Hendrik
10-31-03, 10:54 AM
...erm (http://www.pacificfamilyentertainment.com/program_blocks.html)...

. . . :o . . .

ChrisHicks
10-31-03, 02:29 PM
Found one...

where?

Rogue588
10-31-03, 02:32 PM
click the smiley..