Josie & The Pussycats dvd diff?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-03, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched this for the first time last week on Encore and has become my newest guilty pleasure.

What are the differences between the two dvds out now, besides the PG and PG-13 rating...like minutes each, scenes cut, etc?

I see the PG version is the only one in the Blue Crush 2 pack, or is there a PG-13 version in some?
Old 08-12-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt much was changed probably some of the "innuendo" stuff. Good fun movie though.. it's campy, yet funny. Never seen a movie before that spent 90 minutes to setup one big joke.
Old 08-12-03, 11:05 PM
Banned

They just refer to the group as "the cats"

Actually I'm not sure what exact parts were cut but there is some mature stuff in there.
Old 08-13-03, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i LOVE This movie (dont tell), well i LOVE Rachael Leigh Cook at least. anyway, another difference between the discs is that the PG version is fullscreen and PG-13 is widescreen.
Old 08-13-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I can tell you--I have seen both.

The PG-13 version is the theatrical version, widescreen. It contains a bit of language and suggestive dialogue--enough to make it PG-13.

The PG version is an "edited" version that was cleaned up enough to make it pass for PG, which is what the original creator wanted. IT IS FULL FRAME. Every site you go to will say it's widescreen, but it's NOT. It is full frame--so be aware of that. Other than that, the extras, DTS and DD5.1 sound, etc, is exactly the same as the original.

Most of the edits made in the PG version are stuff you won't notice because they just cut a scene a few seconds early. (For instance, in the PG-13 opening video, Melody is holding a sign that says "Honk if you love Pussycats," but the "cats" is cut off--in the PG version, you don't see this clip in the video at all. They replaced it with something else.) However, there are TWO bits of dialogue where they did voice-overs. Both times it's the bad guys ranting and you can tell their lips move differently from the "cleaner" dialogue that's inserted. It's just like watching a cleaned-up movie on TV in those two brief parts.

I should also add that the ONLY place I could find online that had the PG version is Amazon. For both the PG and PG-13 version, they show the same picture, BUT instead of the purple "Widescreen" bar at the top, the PG version ACTUALLY has a pink band at the top that says "This Film Edited for Family Viewing." On the back it says 1.33:1 Full Frame.

Personally, I prefer the PG version because I have some very young ones watching it--and the language is totally out of place in this film. But for adults, it's a sacrifice since you lose the widescreen.

--Jury
Old 08-13-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to admit, when I saw this in the theater I was surprised at some of the stuff in the movie.. none of it was really bad per se.. but it was things that aren't in your everyday family film. Again, either way it's a great movie, nice satire on advertisments in the media.
Old 08-13-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JuryDuty
I can tell you--I have seen both.
Actually I have to know.. did they keep the opening scene fully intact? The "Backdoor Lover" music video.

Last edited by PixyJunket; 08-13-03 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-13-03, 02:28 PM

Thanks JuryDuty! and the rest of you guys!