Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Megman Network (Gamecube)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Megman Network (Gamecube)

I rented this the other day and have been having a lot of fun with this game. It feels VERY much like the old Megaman games, like Megaman 1 & 2!! Not only that but that game is actually diffucult!! I had to try multiple times to be able to finally learn Gutsman's pattern and beat him..

The weapon system is the biggest difference as you don't really gain the powers of the bosses you beat as before (you still do) however you collect "chips" that have different attack in them, almost every attack an enemy uses you can acquire from them. There's over 100 attacks and apparently you can combine attacks to make combos, etc. The big problem is that you pick 20 weapons that you'd like to use from your stash and are given a random 5 of those at the start of a level. You can change after a few minutes but again, they're distributed randomly, although you can choose not to equip a chip, and later equip it when you need it.. very strange at first but not too diffucult to get the hang of. The biggest thing is that each weapon is limited by how many times you've collected that chip. So when you beat Fireman, you get the flame cannon but can only use it once, if you happen to equip that chip. Of course you can collect or buy multiples, etc.

I'm really enjoying it and thinking about buying it.. I know a lot of people will be turned off because it's a little baby kids game with cel shaded graphics and no hookers to kidney punch.. but if you loved the old Megaman games, or just want a good 2D game to play this is really nice. I really wish more 2D games would come out for the new systems, something like this that has 3D graphics but plays on a 2D field is awesome.
Old 08-12-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I heard that it was just way too difficult. Been meaning to try it out, since I did love those damn hard MM games.
Thanks for the good review.
Old 08-12-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Neitzl
I heard that it was just way too difficult. Been meaning to try it out, since I did love those damn hard MM games.
Thanks for the good review.
It's no more diffucult than Megaman 1 or 2.. people are just used to games holding their hands these days. I was hesitant to try it at first, seemed "too" different, but it's classic Megaman at it's finest.
Old 08-12-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
It's no more diffucult than Megaman 1 or 2.. people are just used to games holding their hands these days. I was hesitant to try it at first, seemed "too" different, but it's classic Megaman at it's finest.
I rented it and enjoyed it. It's hard, but like you said not in any way that anyone who played old Megaman games wouldn't be able to handle. Personally, i thought MegaMan Zero was harder.
Old 08-12-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Megman Network (Gamecube)

I know a lot of people will be turned off because it's a little baby kids game with cel shaded graphics and no hookers to kidney punch..

ahem...

Yep, this game came out under the radar and is surprisingly good. I didn't even know it was out until I saw it at the store when I rented it. And you were right, it IS pretty hard. It took me a lot of tries to beat the first boss but once I did I couldn't stop playing. The chip system works a lot better than I thought it would, and there's a lot more strategy involved in this game. Especially when you get a lot more chips.

If you like this game, you should also definitely check out Megaman Battle Network for the GBA. The GC version takes place between the first and second games. I've only played the second one but it was pretty good, its not side scrolling but a 3/4 view and kind of an rpg/action game.
Old 08-12-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anybody beaten the game? How long does it take and how much replay value do you think the game has? So far it looks like there'd be some fun in try to collect as many chips as possible (maybe).. but I'd kinda like to know if the game has plenty to offer to warrant a purchase.
Old 08-12-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Megman Network (Gamecube)

Originally posted by Outlaw
If you like this game, you should also definitely check out Megaman Battle Network for the GBA. The GC version takes place between the first and second games. I've only played the second one but it was pretty good, its not side scrolling but a 3/4 view and kind of an rpg/action game.
I gave a quick spin of one of them on an emulator I didn't have much time but it was like talk, talk, walk, talk.. might try it again later but not really impressed with the few minutes I spent with it.
Old 08-12-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anybody beaten the game? How long does it take and how much replay value do you think the game has? So far it looks like there'd be some fun in try to collect as many chips as possible (maybe).. but I'd kinda like to know if the game has plenty to offer to warrant a purchase.
I beat it when i rented it. Took me about 4 days...about 10 hours total, counting deaths/multiple re-trys. There's not a lot of replay value unless you want to find everything and the chances of that are slim. Rent or buy when it's cheap after it's sales bomb.
Old 08-12-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Re: Megman Network (Gamecube)

I gave a quick spin of one of them on an emulator I didn't have much time but it was like talk, talk, walk, talk.. might try it again later but not really impressed with the few minutes I spent with it.
If thats the case then its probably not for you, it doesn't stray too much from that and battling.

As far as Megaman Transmission, I also had a 4 day rental and was able to get to the last guy at the very end of the time period. He was really tough and I wasn't able to beat him in time. There's other stuff to do in the game like collecting all the chips and the mystery data, and I think there are 2 endings to get, but I think you could probably complete it if you rented it again.
Old 08-13-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I had my 2 days with it..

Had to give it back to my friend who actually paid for the rental as he wanted to try it out too.. I did manage to show him some of the cool stuff I've gotten and lots of the real "nostalgic" stuff in hopes that he'll buy it, then I can finish it..

I think I can safely say I'd like to see a sequel to this. It's the simple and insanely fun type of game I love, and I think they could tweak it up a bit for a second go while keeping the classic play and keeping the difficulty where it is. I found it refreshing to be challenged by a video game and not be challenged in a frustrating or obnoxious manner, the kind of difficulty you overcome by learning the game.
Old 08-13-03, 09:06 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
In Nintendo Power last month they said that one of the drawbacks is that was too hard... returning the way games use to be.

Maybe I'll rent this as I'm a fan of the old Mega Man games as well.

Thanks pixyboi PixyJunket!
Old 08-13-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mega Man: Network (GBA) $9.99 (instore coupon)
Mega Man: NetWork 2 (GBA) $19.99
Mega Man: Network 3 white/blue $29.99
Old 08-13-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oooppp! Checkout ur Local Ebgames
Old 08-13-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No deals on Gamecube version?
Old 08-13-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not so far. It's only been out a month or two.
Old 08-13-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I will have to pick up this game when it hits the clearance rack. I loved the first 3 Mega Man games. Then the first Mega Man Xs on SNES. Haven't played any of the others since then.
Old 08-13-03, 11:30 PM
Banned

It's 40 dollars for Christ's sake.

I swear, some people just want companies to fail.
Old 08-14-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Revoltor

And some of us are too poor to afford games but still want to get them through legit means.
Old 08-14-03, 04:43 AM
Banned

You have a point.

Companies have no business trying to make money.
Old 08-14-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Revoltor

And some of us just bought Mario Golf, True Crime, and Burnout 2, and don't have the money nor the time for another game. Therefore I will wait til it is cheaper and during a drought in my gaming.

And it is still 2D, it isn't like they have revolutionized gaming here. $29.99 should be the MSRP on a title like this one.