Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Gamera & Godzilla dvds?

Gamera & Godzilla dvds?

Old 08-11-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamera & Godzilla dvds?

Does anyone know if any of the older Godzilla films that were not in the recent box set ever planned for release?

I also picked up some of the older Gamera films (Gammera the Invincible, War of the Monsters and Destroy All Planets) the transfers were atroucious but for $5.99 a pop I'm not complaining too much.

Does anyone know if there are plans to release the rest of the Gamera films in the US? I've looked all over the net and found nothing.
Old 08-11-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps this should be moved to the International Forum.....

I wish I knew man.....
Old 08-12-03, 07:52 AM

Any news on "Godzilla vs the Sea Monster" (Personal Favorite).
Old 08-12-03, 01:01 PM

From the title I thought you actually found a Godzilla vs Gamera movie. Man! That would be intereting.
Old 08-12-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Originally posted by Ejunior2
From the title I thought you actually found a Godzilla vs Gamera movie. Man! That would be intereting.
That idea is being tossed around, possibly for Godzilla's 50th anniversary.

Unfortunately there are no good US DVD releases for Gamera's 1965-80 films. The best available is the Japanese DVDs of those films (R2 and expensive but they do have English subs). It would be nice if ADV, in addition to the new Gamera films they released here, worked out a deal with Daiei for the older films. There would definitely be a market for them.
Old 09-24-03, 11:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't understand the interest for Godzilla vs. Gamera for his 50th anniversary. I think it would be interesting too, but his 50th should be all about him. My ideal scenario? Mirror Bruce Lee's Game of Death and have big G face off against his foes one by one, ending with Destroyah. But that's just me...

Leave an encounter with the terrible terrapin for another movie.
Old 09-25-03, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by JordanGLC
I can't understand the interest for Godzilla vs. Gamera for his 50th anniversary. I think it would be interesting too, but his 50th should be all about him. My ideal scenario? Mirror Bruce Lee's Game of Death and have big G face off against his foes one by one, ending with Destroyah. But that's just me...

Leave an encounter with the terrible terrapin for another movie.
I agree and Godzilla's Game of Death is a kick ass idea!
Old 09-25-03, 07:37 AM

I have the ADV edition of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS! and it's pretty good for the price. Bare bones with no menu or chapter stops (a drag) but it's presented in widescreen (I don't know if it's anamorphic) and sounds pretty good. I've seen a few more old Gamera & Godzilla titles at Amazon that looked promising, GODZILLA VS MEGALON in particular.

And a Gamera vs Godzilla movie would ROCK!!
Old 09-26-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ATTACK OF THE MONSTERS is on Alpha DVD as well.
Old 09-26-03, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by JordanGLC
My ideal scenario? Mirror Bruce Lee's Game of Death and have big G face off against his foes one by one, ending with Destroyah. But that's just me...
So long as Big-G gets to wear that yellow tracksuit, complete with Kareem Abdul Jabbar's footprint on his chest...!
Old 09-26-03, 02:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Damage
So long as Big-G gets to wear that yellow tracksuit, complete with Kareem Abdul Jabbar's footprint on his chest...!
He'd have to ask Uma if that was ok.
Old 09-26-03, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they need to bring in older monsters instead of Ghidra and Monthera...how about RODAN, VARAN, or the others?
Old 09-26-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
That idea is being tossed around, possibly for Godzilla's 50th anniversary.

Unfortunately there are no good US DVD releases for Gamera's 1965-80 films. The best available is the Japanese DVDs of those films (R2 and expensive but they do have English subs). It would be nice if ADV, in addition to the new Gamera films they released here, worked out a deal with Daiei for the older films. There would definitely be a market for them.
I have all of the R2 Godzilla films (Heisei) and they do not have any English subs. They are however anamorphically enhanced and bear kicking DD5.1 soundtracks.

The only recent Godzilla films with English subs are the HK R3 issues of Godzila Vs. Mechagodzilla 02', G 2000-available only with the Chinese language selected & not the original Japanese language track and Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus.

The Gamera films- Guardian of The Universe, Attack of Legion and Revenge of Iris are still available in the limited edition R2 Box set. If you can find them they run around $250+. They do however each carry English subs.

The earlier Gamera films were released in two seperate box sets each running around $100-$150.

ADV recently released the last batch of Gamera films in R1 but from what I've heard the quality isn't that great and they are not anamorphic. The R2 versions are.

Personally, if the reviews are true regarding the poor treatment these Gamera films received at the hands of ADV, I'd rather they left Godzilla alone.

There is word that GMK (Giant all out monsters Attack) and GXM (Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla 02') are going to be released in R1 early next year with anamorphic transfers DD5.1 Japanese language tracks and English subs to boot.

However given the poor treatment Godzilla films generally receive in R1, I doubt we'll actually ever see a decent R1 release of a Kaiju film.

I just purchased Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster from R2 as well as War of the Gargantuas and the discs are excellent!

Last edited by buckee1; 09-26-03 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by buckee1
I have all of the R2 Godzilla films (Heisei) and they do not have any English subs. They are however anamorphically enhanced and bear kicking DD5.1 soundtracks.
If you read the part of my post that you quoted, you will see that I was referring to the pre-Heisei R2 Gamera discs, which do indeed have English subs. I said nothing about the R2 Goji discs having subs. Just wanted to clear that up.
Old 09-26-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Scot1458
they need to bring in older monsters instead of Ghidra and Monthera...how about RODAN, VARAN, or the others?
Varan and Angilus were supposed to be in GMK along with Baragon, but Toho replaced them with the better known Ghidora and Mothra. Of course, then I guess we would be calling the film GVA or GVAB (gotta give Baragon some credit too).
Old 09-27-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
If you read the part of my post that you quoted, you will see that I was referring to the pre-Heisei R2 Gamera discs, which do indeed have English subs. I said nothing about the R2 Goji discs having subs. Just wanted to clear that up.
Yikes! It was right in front of my face and I still missed it!

Sorry about that Cultshock! I tip my suitmation cap to you!
Old 09-27-03, 11:24 PM

True, ADV's Guardian of The Universe is not anamorphic, but both Attack of Legion and Revenge of Iris are.