Community
Search

anyone excited about the space jam 2-disc special edition

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-03, 08:11 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone excited about the space jam 2-disc special edition

i wanted to buy the last two releases but i decided to wait since it was only in was only in fullscreen. now i get widescreen and 2-discs. i can't wait!!!
Old 08-10-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well no. Im not. The movie wasnt very good. Maybe if they replaced Micheal Jordan with Paul Walker it would have been much better. I really hope it comes with an insert.
Old 08-10-03, 08:28 PM
Banned

I'm excited about this as well. In the new issue of Sports Illustrated this was listed as the worst sports movie of all time..... However, that worst of all time chart was VERY suspect as Rocky 4 was somewhere on there but Rocky 5 was not. Love or hate Rocky 4, there is no way in hell it is worse than Rocky 5....

I'll admit though, I have not seen Space Jam since in the theatre and a few times on VHS so I don't know what I will think of it now but I remember enjoying it.
Old 08-10-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I love the Looney Tunes and proudly rode the Michael Jordan/Chicago Bulls bandwagon in the 90s. I won't be getting this.
Old 08-10-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I liked Space Jam and am looking forward to the release. It was a cute movie and every once in awhile you want cute.
Old 08-10-03, 08:59 PM
Banned

I really liked the MJ montage in the begining of the film other than that it was aight. But there are other movies I'd rather have.
Old 08-10-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would anyone in their right mind look forward to a new unnecessary release of this travesty and dark stain on the glorious legacy of WB classic animation? This film was created by the bean-counters and merchandising people over at the Burbank lot, not by any actual artists or writers who cared about the classic characters populating the film. The fact that it's getting a 2-disc SE release is something I find vaguely depressing. All copies of the film should be put in a landfill as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like the new Looney Tunes feature coming out this fall will very likely be just as wack. WB should just forget all about making any new animation with their classic characters, because they haven't a clue how to do it. All their magic is gone, and it's only preserved in the classic Looney Tunes films of the golden age 40s and 50s.
Old 08-10-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I remember seeing this movie back in 1996, and after the young MJ tells his dad he's going to fly (or some crap like that), he starts a drive to the basket. I thought to myself, "if that little kid jumps up and dunks the ball, I'm getting the hell out of here." Fortunately it shifted to some vintage footage of Mike, but I was on the verge there of leaving.

I also agree that there shouldn't be any more Looney Tunes stuff. Ugh, now I am remembering the Tiny Toons. I was probably 9 or so when it started, and even at that impressionable younge age I thought it was the pits.
Old 08-10-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not really.
Old 08-10-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll buy it because I'm a HUGE Yosemite Sam fan, and there are supposed to be other cartoons on the 2nd disc.
Old 08-10-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im not...I was in the process of collecting all of the "Two-Disc Special Editions" by WB, but that will be a reason not to continue the trend.
Old 08-10-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they put it into 2-disc?!?!

wow... i could do that for movies like Ocean11, fugitive, or other better movies out there...

not saying i didn't like space jam or anything like that
Old 08-10-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the way the thread title says "Anyone excited about the space jam 2-disc special edition" and people feel compelled to click the thread and post about how they're NOT excited. Cool.

And to respond to the question at hand, yes, I am excited. Loved the movie - it's a lot of fun and I'm thrilled to be able to replace a P&S atrocity with a widescreen version. Sad that it took three times for them to do it right, but hopefully this will be right. Third time's the charm.
Old 08-11-03, 12:50 AM

Excited doesn't even begin to describe the feeling.
Old 08-11-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
"I'm excited about this as well. In the new issue of Sports Illustrated this was listed as the worst sports movie of all time..... However, that worst of all time chart was VERY suspect as Rocky 4 was somewhere on there but Rocky 5 was not. Love or hate Rocky 4, there is no way in hell it is worse than Rocky 5...."

Worst sports movie ever? Not by a long shot. And I liked Rocky 5 also lol.

I might buy this only if I can find it cheap. It's not one of my favorites, but I would like to upgrade my P&S version.

Dean
Old 08-11-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Well no. Im not. The movie wasnt very good. Maybe if they replaced Micheal Jordan with Paul Walker it would have been much better. I really hope it comes with an insert.
As long as it has an insert and decent disc art, I'm in!
Old 08-11-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does it have a Bill Murray and Charles Barkley commentary? Because if it does, I am sold already.
Old 08-11-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<small>
Originally posted by Disc-Flipper supposed to be other cartoons on the 2nd disc.
</small>
That's what I'm rebuying it for. I sold my old version for $13. The two-disc DVD is loaded with special features, including an hour of new-to-DVD digitally re-mastered shorts including Another Froggy Evening, Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers, Night of the Living Duck, The Duxorcist and Bugs vs. Daffy Battle of the Music Video Stars!. In addition, fans will score big with a new widescreen DVD.
Old 08-11-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It was a cute movie but Bill Murray was the funny one and was way underutilized. If I find it used I'll probably upgrade.
Old 08-11-03, 04:14 PM

Since I skipped the first two releases of this movie to DVD specifically due to OAR issues, I'm really looking forward to adding this title to my collection!
Old 08-11-03, 04:18 PM

I am looking foward to it, being the fact I like animation and the NBA (Mugsey, Charles, Bradley, Grandmama, and coach Ewing), that and the cool extras and it's OAR! Can't go wrong here!
Old 08-11-03, 04:21 PM

Just a question...

Did anyone notice that one of the basketball players in the movie that is mirrored by the "monsters" is Shawn Bradley from the Dallas Mavericks(not then, of course)? I guess they thought he was going to be a superstar...heheh.
Old 08-11-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gabeon
Just a question...

Did anyone notice that one of the basketball players in the movie that is mirrored by the "monsters" is Shawn Bradley from the Dallas Mavericks(not then, of course)? I guess they thought he was going to be a superstar...heheh.
Well he was the #2 draft pick...and he's 7'6". If Gheorghe Muresan can get a role in a major Warner Bros film solely because of height, why not Bradley? At least it was a basketball film.
Old 08-11-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be picking it up. I bought the original P&S DVD from back in 1997, just to say I had DVD's back then, but I still had the LBX laserdisc. Now I'll be able to have LBX and a nice SE.
Old 08-12-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Cartload
II also agree that there shouldn't be any more Looney Tunes stuff. Ugh, now I am remembering the Tiny Toons. I was probably 9 or so when it started, and even at that impressionable younge age I thought it was the pits.
DAMN!!! I'll be picking up Space Jam SE probably...if it's cheap... but I would kill to get TINY TOONS on DVD in some season sets... and especially would LOVE to have TINY TOONS: HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION on disc...one of the funniest cartoon flicks ever.... I think Tiny Toons was a good idea and it totally ruled.

MATT