Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

5.4" LCD Monitor for PS2 - $49.99 at CompUSA (Buyer Beware)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

5.4" LCD Monitor for PS2 - $49.99 at CompUSA (Buyer Beware)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.4" LCD Monitor for PS2 - $49.99 at CompUSA

Saw this in the CompUSA add today. Regular price is $99.99 and they have a $50 instant rebate.

Old 08-10-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, i don't know why... but it rang up as $39.99...

Hip Gear Portable 5.4" LCD Screen for ps2

(1 left on the shelf at the compusa at king of prussia - maybe they have more in the back though)
Old 08-10-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How good is the monitor?
Old 08-10-03, 12:38 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I might buy that for other reasons... good deal.
Old 08-10-03, 12:55 PM

Now what does this exactly do? Does it enable me to play my PS2 in the car? What exactly do you plug into the car? I would be very interested in getting this, but I am clueless on how it would work.
Old 08-10-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by acidburnlk
Now what does this exactly do? Does it enable me to play my PS2 in the car? What exactly do you plug into the car? I would be very interested in getting this, but I am clueless on how it would work.

This attaches to your PS2.....it is a portable monitor. I drag a 9" Sony to my p/t job on the weekends so something small would be nice. I do not want to lose quality though. I will probably pass on this one unless someone who actually has this can let us all know the pros and cons for this monitor. Seems like CompUSA is trying to get rid of the thing to me.
Old 08-10-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't have time to play w/ it right now, but i can describe it more.

it has on the back of the unit (in):
left/right audio
composite
s-video
power in
a wide plug w/ AV Multi Out listed... not sure what that's for

when you flip it open, it has:
2 headphone jacks
power switch
volume, brightness, color adjustments

--

overall, it feels kind of cheap but for $40, i'm not too picky. as long as it works, i think i can deal w/ it.

b/c it has a svideo in, i can use it w/ the xbox instead but it won't attach to the top of the set like it would for the ps2.

if you guys can wait til late tonight, i can post some actual video impressions.
Old 08-10-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok, people... don't get it. it is a serious P.O.S. with an extra S...

very poor resolution w/ both svideo and composite. heavy banding, terrible color, terrible brightness controls... if i had it bright enough to read the menu text, the graphics were undiscernable. if i had to compare to the psone's LCD, this is like a 2 compared to sony's 10.

for some reason, they put the svideo on the far left while the audio inputs are on the far right. so w/ my cable, i couldn't have the svideo and sound hooked up together.

anyway, King of Prussia will have an open box tomorrow...

sound is ok though.
Old 08-10-03, 07:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

I updated the thread title since it sounds like this is junk, even though the price is appetizing.
Old 08-10-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the review Young. I was very tempted to get this today but, waited to get some feedback from anyone here. Oh well, does Sony have a version of this type of monitor or just one for the PS1?
Old 08-11-03, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kind of figured it was junk especially when a store seems to be giving an item away. I also could not find this screen anywhere else except for a controller monitor which they have released also. I will stick to my quality 9" Sony for work on the weekends and know I am getting one hell of a picture.
Old 08-11-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah i saw one on display for the xbox from the same company playing a dvd at media play and it was just horrible... I would never buy one of those
Old 08-11-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by djones6746
Kind of figured it was junk especially when a store seems to be giving an item away. I also could not find this screen anywhere else except for a controller monitor which they have released also. I will stick to my quality 9" Sony for work on the weekends and know I am getting one hell of a picture.

what 9" display do you have? i did a search for 9" sonys but didn't find anything. how much and is it available?

--
is there a way to modify my old laptop's display to be used for the xbox/ps2? it's old and i don't need it at all - broken floppy, broken pc card slot, etc. it still works and i can watch dvds on it, but i wouldn't be afraid to mess w/ it as required.

Last edited by young; 08-11-03 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-11-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by young
what 9" display do you have? i did a search for 9" sonys but didn't find anything. how much and is it available?

--
is there a way to modify my old laptop's display to be used for the xbox/ps2? it's old and i don't need it at all - broken floppy, broken pc card slot, etc. it still works and i can watch dvds on it, but i wouldn't be afraid to mess w/ it as required.

I have a portable 9" Sony.....does not attach to the PS2 but small enough to take to work. I will look for a link if it is still available. The set is 5 years old....

Well...here is the set I have....does not seem to be available any longer. Great set!!

http://www.epinions.com/511950_Sony_...splay_~reviews

Last edited by djones6746; 08-11-03 at 11:41 AM.