Futurama - The last episode thread.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well.. it's finally here. the last episode. I'm not sure what I can really say about it. Just sucks big time. the only picture I'll post is the title picture since I really don't want to spoil anything for anyone. Hopefully the title gives a clue and we hear more on if CN will actually produce more episodes or not.

If this is truely the end of the series.. well then It will be missed greatly and is just more proof that fox is a bunch of morons.
Old 08-09-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did/has fox aired all the episodes that they created or are there some episodes in the fox vaults that haven't aired yet.
Old 08-09-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
did/has fox aired all the episodes that they created or are there some episodes in the fox vaults that haven't aired yet.
I believe this is the last one made.
Old 08-09-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Rypro 525

nope, for the past few weeks they have been unloading all the episodes that they have already been produced. no more are going to be finished, so this is it. the last new episode of futurama.
Old 08-09-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sniff It's the end of an era...
Old 08-09-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am just getting into Futurama now. I have Season One on DVD, have Season Two preordered, and I will catch up with the other eps on various channels. Great show, I regret not watching it from the beginning...
Old 08-09-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Futurama is history
By KEVIN WILLIAMSON -- Calgary Sun
It's dead, Jim. Well, maybe. As any fan of science fiction knows -- from Star Trek's Mr. Spock to Alien's Ripley -- death is always open to re-negotiation.

It's fitting, then, as the final episode of the sci-fi spoof Futurama is readied for launch, there are signs the show may carry on in one life form or another. Which may explain why it slipped executive producer and co-creator David X. Cohen's mind that the Fox show's culminating instalment airs at 8 p.m. Sunday.

"I actually forgot this week was our last episode. I scheduled something else -- a meeting of my math club," Cohen says on the phone from Los Angeles. "This group of TV writers, we're interested in math and we get together to talk about it. But I'm sure I'll be able to race home to watch it."

Cohen's memory loss can be understood, too, when you consider the show has actually been out of production for more than a year. It's only now that Fox has gotten around to broadcasting its last episodes. "Frustrating is a mild word for the situation," he says, echoing comments made by co-creator Matt Groening to the Sun earlier this year. "Matt and I and everyone involved were very frustrated by how it got bounced around (from timeslot to timeslot) by Fox."

Despite that, this may not be the last we see of Futurama's motley crew of humans, robots and aliens.

"If you had asked me six months ago, I would have said there was no chance, forget it. But just strangely now, in the dying days of the show, it's suddenly a success on the Cartoon Network (which is airing the series in the U.S.). The ratings have been stellar by cable standards so the subject of bringing it back has arisen. But it's still an extremely long shot."

That it has any chance at all is because of the Cartoon Network, not Fox, he says.

"They've done a staggering amount of publicity for a cable network. In L.A., there are buses with Futurama painted on the side. They're on the subways in New York and on CNN. The visibility is pretty astounding when you consider how much more limited the resources of the Cartoon Network are than the Fox multi-industry conglomerate. You think what could have been done if Fox had thrown its weight behind the show. The people making the decisions were not big fans of the show."

One problem, of course, was the massive success of Groening's other animated show, The Simpsons, which Fox wanted instantly cloned. "People forget that The Simpsons was not born full-grown, that a lot of things improved. But they wanted Simpsons, Simpsons, Simpsons, money, money, money."

With Sunday's finale, Futurama ends after 72 episodes -- about the number of shows the original Star Trek had under its belt when it was scrapped by NBC in the '60s. "Maybe Futurama will be the next Star Trek," Cohen muses, acknowledging the debt his comedy owes to sci-fi predecessors like Trek.

"Our original idea was, let's steal our favourite ideas from all branches of science fiction and hodgepodge them together," he says. And, as with Trek, fans are lobbying to keep the show alive. At www.gotfuturama.com more than 165,000 signatures have been gathered in support of the show. Cohen, though, is realistic. "I don't think they've swayed anybody ... But we all enjoy seeing what the number is."
Old 08-10-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What an amazing episode; really well-written for a cartoon (not surprising for this show though). It's sad to know that that was the last new futurama ep I will ever see. Hopefully CN will bring us new ones.

BTW, MHOP...
Old 08-10-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

good episode. doesn't look like the had originally written it as a finale though
Old 08-10-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it as well. Very operatic and creative...
Old 08-10-03, 12:46 PM

Wait, did I miss it?? Its still airing tonight at 7pm right? Or did you hippies find it through "other" means.
Old 08-10-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other means
Old 08-10-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

yup other means. sorta sad now.. the last futurama episode that I will be getting through other means early.
Old 08-10-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Venusian
good episode. doesn't look like the had originally written it as a finale though
With that ending, I think it pretty certainly worked as a last episode, if it wasn't meant to be one.

Damn FOX.
Old 08-10-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man, they could have used a much better episode... this was average at best...
Old 08-10-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This was not written as the last episode folks. sheesh. remember the production crew was in the middle of waiting for word if it was going to be renewed. If anything this one was just a season finisher. It's ending can be a form of a closing to loose ends. hopefully cartoon network picks it up since the ratings have been good.
Old 08-10-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
This was not written as the last episode folks. sheesh. remember the production crew was in the middle of waiting for word if it was going to be renewed. If anything this one was just a season finisher. It's ending can be a form of a closing to loose ends. hopefully cartoon network picks it up since the ratings have been good.
I know it wasn't written as the finale. But it works as one.

Both this and "The Why of Fry" could have worked well as series finales IMO.
Old 08-10-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 08-10-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was pretty good
I really hope CN picks up the show, I'd hate to see it end so soon
Old 08-10-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know its childish, but i actually hope Fox sees failure in it's new shows cause of some of their decisions... It would just seem fair to me.

Banzai is horrible. I turned off OC after 5 minutes. I'll never understand why they think that Wanda woman is funny.

Why not bing back Futurama, Family guy, and Andy Richter... Shows that had a small but loyal following.

Anyway.. Great last episode. You shall be missed.
Old 08-10-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
The ending was kind of ambiguous, which I guess it had to be, considering they didn't know if it was the last one or not. Of course, one of the pleasures of Futurama was it didn't have to spell everything out in black and white.

I liked it. Touching without being sappy. This entire series has been one of my favorites ever. I'm going to miss it a lot. Intelligent, well written geek humor that was completely accessible to the non-geek. Sci-fi humor that was funny without making fun of sci-fi fans.

At least we live in an age where we're pretty much guaranteed getting the entire run of the series of DVD with bonus features, commentary tracks, and any extra material that might have been left in the can. VHS recordings to hold us until the DVDs are released. Plus reruns already started on Cartoon Network and TBS. I imagine it was really hell for Star Trek fans when it ended (also due to network nitwits). When it was gone, it was gone.

Here's hoping CN can get something started with this soon.
Old 08-10-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot to ask? What are they going to endlessly preempt for football games now that Futurama is gone? They don't have any good shows left except for the Simpsons anymore.

They couldn't be that brain-dead. Or could they...
Old 08-10-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bye Futurama.

"See you on some other channel" indeed.
Old 08-10-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jason
Oh, I almost forgot to ask? What are they going to endlessly preempt for football games now that Futurama is gone? They don't have any good shows left except for the Simpsons anymore.

They couldn't be that brain-dead. Or could they...
IIRC, since FOX felt that Oliver Beene was worth renewing, while Futurama wasn't.... Oliver Beene has that Sunday @ 7 PM time slot.
Old 08-10-03, 07:17 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
No, it wasn't but from what's been said this was written as a semi-finale, knowing they might not be back. FOX wanted "Bender should not be allowed on TV" to air last and Curiosity Company said "No.", they wanted this one." So it would seem "Devil's Hands..." was at least some type of scab-finale.

So Jack, did we miss anything during the non-credits?

R.I.P. Futurama 1ACV - 4ACV

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.