Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Cradle 2 The Grave blind buy?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-09-03, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love big action movies! Any good?
Old 08-09-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The action isn't that big, but it has a few nice moments. Did you like Exit Wounds or Romeo Must Die? This is like those films with better action scenes but much worse story/plot.
Old 08-10-03, 09:13 AM
Cool New Member

I'm a huge Jet Li fan but I thought this movie was terrible. The action is very subpar and isn't directed very well. More time was spent with a long and boring car chase instead of showcasing Li's talent. And when they finally do, there are so many cuts with the editing that it always leaves you wanting to see more. There are a few highlights but the story is just to mediocre to suffer through. I would definitely recommend renting it first.

If you enjoyed The One then you might like this one. Kiss of the Dragon (and to a much lesser extent Romeo Must Die) are the only American made Jet Li movies that I found entertaining.
Old 08-11-03, 01:17 AM

blind buy?!

more like "you'll go blind after you buy this".
Old 08-11-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's okay, it the usual run of the mill Jet Li american action film. If you loved Romeo Must Die then it will probably be up your street, if not then rent it.
Old 08-13-03, 11:08 AM

I found this one much more enjoyable than Romeo Must Die, but not as good as Exit Wounds (Li is much more talented than Segal, so the quick edits benefitted Exit Wounds much more than it benefitted this movie, which it actually detracted from). If you really want a Jet Li fix, definitely pick up Kiss of the Dragon for English Language movies, or you should be able to get Once Upon A Time in China just about anywhere. They are much better choices than Cradle (by the way, Marc Dacascos is another awesome martial artist who gets COMPLETELY underused in this film, check out BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF to see him in action or track down an import of CRYING FREEMAN)
Old 08-13-03, 02:56 PM

did anyone see the american cover for "China Strike Force"? the cover looks oddly similar to "Cradle 2 the Grave". of course, Mark Dacascos also stars in this movie and is also underused. The movie woulda been good but Coolios is too annoying.
Old 08-18-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rented it this weekend while visiting my parents. My Dad loves action films. Neither one of us liked it. Don't even get me started on that annoying little girl. What a brat!!
Old 08-18-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by tinlunlau
blind buy?!

more like "you'll go blind after you buy this".
my thoughts exactly!!!
Old 08-18-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in a minority here, but I really liked this flick. It has good action, decent pacing and is pretty fun to watch. Jet Li kicks ass, DMX is tolerable...and the scene where Gabrielle Union does the striptease in the club....DAMN!!!!

Sure, it's not high art and a notch lower than low art, but I still liked it and won't hesitate to pick it up used.... I think it's easily better than Romeo and Exit Wounds (all by the same director) and if anyone liked those flicks, I think they'll enjoy this one as well.

MATT

KoD is probably Li's best American actioner....
Old 08-18-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Man, I agree with MDC3000 here...it was definitely a tolerable movie. That striptease was frikkin' amazing *dan's breaking a light sweat just thinking about it* Not as good as 'Exit Wounds' though.

But anyway, I digress, it's a good rental. Not the best Jet Li flick, however. Rent 'Kiss Of The Dragon' for him at his butt-kicking best....

And his older Hong Kong films of course!
Old 08-19-03, 11:01 AM

My cousin borrowed this from a friend last weekend, so we watched it. I didn't think it was that great - DMX cannot act, and the plot is horrible. There was some decent action, though.

However, the other 4 people in the group, including 2 women who don't really like action movies, thought the movie was pretty good.

Personally, I wouldn't pay full retail for it, wait until it gets in the bargain bins.
Old 08-19-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a Jet Li fan and I can honestly say that this movie sucked. The plot was ridiculous and there wasn't even that much action in the movie.

Though I like Jet Li, he's made some horrible American movies.

Old 08-21-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a pretty mediocre action movie. There is much better stuff out there, without a doubt, than this DVD.
Old 09-18-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw this movie and reminds me of a gangsta version of rush hour. Anyone else feel the same?
Old 09-19-03, 03:27 PM

This movie is entertaining if it's a $1 rental. With that said, I enjoyed it.

Thong