Community
Search

"Angel" season two is widescreen, not full-frame as previously announced

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
"Angel" season two is widescreen, not full-frame as previously announced

I got the first and sixth discs of the second season of "Angel" in the mail today, and I can confirm that it's presented in anamorphic widescreen at 1.78:1, not full-frame as some of the specs floating around had previously noted.

Very unexpected. I can post some screenshots later if anyone's curious.
Old 08-07-03, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now this is interesting. Either it really was composed for widescreen, or someone switched it without the creators' permission. I wonder if we'll get any comments from Joss Whedon and/or David Greenwalt on this?
Old 08-07-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Whoops! Apparently this second image is a spoiler, so rather than display it in-line, it's now a link. Consider yourself warned.

Old 08-07-03, 05:51 PM

When taking screencaps in a situation like this, you have to be VERY careful. I had no idea that that character was in season 2 of Angel... It's not a huge deal, but I'd rather have found out by watching it.

EDIT: Edited to remove spoiler reference to the spoiler picture...

Last edited by Philip Reuben; 08-07-03 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-07-03, 05:59 PM

What is Fox thinking? The beginning and ends of this season are probably the weakest parts. It's the middle stuff that's really good.

The widescreen Angel issue is confusing. Whedon says Angel is a widescreen series, but I don't think has ever specified which season it started being filmed that way. R2 gets S2 in widescreen, but R4 (who've been getting Buffy wide since its S4) gets S2 in fullframe. Now R1 is getting widescreen. We need another one of those little paper flyers. And possibly a chart.
Old 08-07-03, 06:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Very interesting. Ive never seen any Angel (besides Season 1), and wasn't really expecting widescreen any time soon.
Old 08-07-03, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Very interesting. Ive never seen any Angel (besides Season 1), and wasn't really expecting widescreen any time soon.
The Angel DVDs were always going to be widescreen from season 3 onwards at the latest - even the TV airings were widescreen then.
Old 08-07-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Philip Reuben
When taking screencaps in a situation like this, you have to be VERY careful. I had no idea that Faith was in season 2 of Angel... It's not a huge deal, but I'd rather have found out by watching it.
I was gonna say this too. I've only seen the seasons of Buffy or Angel that are on DVD and I'm bummed that I knowe as many spoliers as I do. I guess one more isn't going to ruin the show.

Fox and the people invloved with the release of Angel and Buffy seem kinda clueless. They need to get it together. Fox does grea boxed sets of shows but these 2 series are gonna be the end of their great run with tv shows on DVD.
Old 08-07-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When taking screencaps in a situation like this, you have to be VERY careful. I had no idea that Faith was in season 2 of Angel... It's not a huge deal, but I'd rather have found out by watching it.
If it's any consolation,
Spoiler:
she appears in the season premiere.
I agree though. That screencap should be removed. Her guest spot is supposed to be a surprise.

I have one question, ctyner. Are the "Previously on Angel" intros included in the episodes, or did Fox remove them like they usually do on their R1 releases? If they're on there, I might replace my R2 box set.

Last edited by Doughboy; 08-07-03 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-07-03, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Doughboy
If it's any consolation, she appears in the season premiere.
Thank you so much... there was at least the surprise of WHEN she appears left... but not anymore.

Oh well
Old 08-07-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I can remove the screenshot, but with so many people commenting on it in this thread, I can't remove each and every one of your posts. I apologize if it's considered a spoiler -- I haven't seen that episode since it first aired...I just skimmed through the discs looking for pics to snap. I didn't remember it being a surprise or anything.

On the episodes I skimmed through, I didn't see any "Previously"s, but I didn't look very hard. I'll post a more detailed review (the point of me getting those discs, after all ) sometime in the next few days.
Old 08-07-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's any consolation, she appears in the season premiere. I agree though. That screencap should be removed. Her guest spot is supposed to be a surprise.
Nope.....I don't feel at all better knowing EVEN MORE about the spoiler.

If the posters aren't around to edit their posts can't a mob put spoliers tags on the stuff?
Old 08-07-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before the remove the screenshot in question . . .
Old 08-07-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by RichardW
Before the remove the screenshot in question . . .
Ha. If I had to snap some screens, I wanted them to be of two of the most attractive women on television. I have the biggest crush on Amy Acker and She Who Cannot Be Named.
Old 08-07-03, 08:17 PM

I was actually watching a little bit of "There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb" earlier, and there's definitely a lengthy "Previously on Angel" at the beginning.

The reason I'm harping on this so much is that a lot of the "Previously on Angel" intros in recent years have led directly into the episode. The edits are gonna seem strange if Fox didn't include them.
Old 08-07-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
The widescreen Angel issue is confusing. Whedon says Angel is a widescreen series, but I don't think has ever specified which season it started being filmed that way. R2 gets S2 in widescreen, but R4 (who've been getting Buffy wide since its S4) gets S2 in fullframe. Now R1 is getting widescreen. We need another one of those little paper flyers. And possibly a chart.
Whedon says the series is widescreen. AFAIK that means from season 1 episode 1. Nobody ever said the first season dvds were in the correct aspect ratio.
Old 08-07-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I was actually watching a little bit of "There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb" earlier, and there's definitely a lengthy "Previously on Angel" at the beginning.
Popped in disc six to verify, and unfortunately, nope...no previously on "...Glrb" on this disc.
Old 08-07-03, 09:11 PM

Popped in disc six to verify, and unfortunately, nope...no previously on "...Glrb" on this disc.
Thanks for the update. I'll just stick with the R2 set then. Besides, I love the book packaging anyway. God help Fox if they don't include the "Previously on" intro for Buffy Season 5's "The Gift".
Old 08-07-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the edits guys.
Old 08-09-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does Angel Season 2 have any crossover episodes with Buffy Season 5? I don't remember....
Old 08-09-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The last shot of the last episode of the season ties in heavily with the finale of Buffy's fifth season...

The episode "Darla" also follows Buffy's "Fool for Love", though the individual stories are different...flashbacks are the connective thread between the two.

Neither are 'heavy' enough to recommend steering clear for a while or anything, especially if you've seen season 5 of Buffy before (or at least know what happens at the end).
Old 08-09-03, 07:20 PM

I thought Angel wasn't broadcast or shot in widescreen until season 3? Not that I am complaining because wider is better so S2 in widescreen is good.
Old 08-09-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ithink it was shot in wide, but it didn't start airing on regular tv in wide until season 3
Old 08-09-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ctyner
The last shot of the last episode of the season ties in heavily with the finale of Buffy's fifth season...

The episode "Darla" also follows Buffy's "Fool for Love", though the individual stories are different...flashbacks are the connective thread between the two.

Neither are 'heavy' enough to recommend steering clear for a while or anything, especially if you've seen season 5 of Buffy before (or at least know what happens at the end).
Thanks for the info....
can't believe I forgot about the last episode connection, lol.

This was the year I watched Buffy and Angel off and on and probably missed about 1/2 of the episodes....just wanted to know if there are any big reasons to hold off with Angel Season 2 until Buffy Season 5 comes out. I wish they were releasing these at the same time.
Old 08-09-03, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by DVDGUY1116
I thought Angel wasn't broadcast or shot in widescreen until season 3? Not that I am complaining because wider is better so S2 in widescreen is good.
Angel has been shot in widescreen right from the beginning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.