Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

anychance of sci fi channel to rerun early stargate, farscape, or babylon 5 episodes?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

anychance of sci fi channel to rerun early stargate, farscape, or babylon 5 episodes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I try a season on dvd, I'd like to see some of the early ones to give it a free try. (das, could really use your help) And what kind of scifi are we talking about, couldn't get into star trek tos, mainly due to the 60's cheese, but always would like a good well done star ship battle, help me out.
Old 08-07-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I won't speak much to the topic of Sci-Fi (sic) Channel -- it looks like B5 will end its cycle in mid September, Farscape maybe October or later depending on frequency -- but then they are a bunch of lying scumbags so God knows what they'll do. Hammer loves SG-1 though, so they'll probably show it 7 times a day in the near future. Anyway, as for the types of shows you're asking about, the three are pretty different.

SG-1 is fairly standard and easy to digest. It's not a bad show, but it's not a great show. It's fairly entertaining and has some solid characters, and it has a good mainstream following.

Farscape will blow your mind, but in a good way. It's a very challenging show that asks a lot from the viewer, but it rewards that twofold. It's ambitious and daring and unlike anything ever on television. It also has some of the best special effects and most inventive aliens you'll ever see on television or in film. It's truly a remarkable show.

Babylon 5 is probably the best epic story ever told on television and is reminiscent of the kind of character development and grandeur found in The Lord of the Rings. It starts slowly while developing the characters but ends up spinning a tale so massive in scope and so powerfully told that it will take your breath away. I've given my highest recommendation of this show to countless people, and no one has ever been unhappy. In fact, if you were a close friend, I'd make you watch the show, as I really don't think it's fair for a friend to have to walk the Earth without knowing such greatness.

Things to consider: SG-1 is easy to digest and entertaining, but nothing special. It's currently in its 7th season. Farscape is brilliant but complex, and the DVDs will rock your socks off. It has 4 seasons with more potentially on the way. B5 is brilliant but slow to develop, so you'll have to commit to watching it and not give up if you don't like the first episode or two. It runs 5 seasons and tells a complete story.

I guess it just depends on what you are interested in. Regarding star ship battles, the best space special effects will come from Farscape. The best battle sequences will come from Babylon 5.

If you don't like Star Trek, though, perhaps you should stick with SG-1 ... you may not be ready for real science fiction yet.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 08-07-03 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-07-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
If you don't like Star Trek, though, perhaps you should stick with SG-1 ... you may not be ready for real science fiction yet.
Old 08-07-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I guess I'll just post this question here rather than starting a new thread. Has Sci-Fi started airing season 4 of Babylon 5 yet? The dvd of season 3 should be arriving within a few weeks since I have it preordered, but I would love to be able to Tivo all of seasons 4 and 5 and transfer them to tape while I try and find the movies that were released. So if anyone has any information regarding when the airing of season 4 starts, if it hasn't already, I would appreciate it.
Old 08-07-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I guess I'll just post this question here rather than starting a new thread. Has Sci-Fi started airing season 4 of Babylon 5 yet? The dvd of season 3 should be arriving within a few weeks since I have it preordered, but I would love to be able to Tivo all of seasons 4 and 5 and transfer them to tape while I try and find the movies that were released. So if anyone has any information regarding when the airing of season 4 starts, if it hasn't already, I would appreciate it.
You're a few weeks late with this question! The last episode of Season 4 is airing as I type this. Season 5 begins tomorrow.
Old 08-07-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
Y,WCS

das, you speculating about the B5 run ending, or you got info?

For my 2¢ worth: I’ve been rasslin with the idea of getting SG-1 DVDs, and I’m on the fence. Since they’ve been showing 4 episodes on Mondays, I’m beginning to doubt the replay value in a “been there, done that” kind of way. I dunno, maybe I’m getting old.

B5 on DVD should be approached with the knowledge of whether or not you’re willing to commit to at least 4 seasons. There are those who don’t like the series, and a season by itself is a waste of shelf space.

Last edited by Wizdar; 08-07-03 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-07-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>das, you speculating about the B5 run ending, or you got info?<HR SIZE=1>

No info. It appears from their schedule that they have more episodes "scheduled" to air in September than left in Season 5, which would lead one to assume they are planning another run, but then again ... they contracted a 5th season of Farscape too, so who knows with them.

das
Old 08-07-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Crusade could easily fill out the schedule thru September, yes?

In their current “is there coffee yet?” time slot, I can’t see them showing any movies, unless they have a B5 movie weekend. (And, why would they want to pimp a 6 AM show at the start of a new “season?”)

But, as you say, who knows with them? But you didn’t say, “Who cares?” You’re getting soft, buddy.
Old 08-07-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>But you didn’t say, “Who cares?” You’re getting soft, buddy. <HR SIZE=1>

Not even the beloved minion of Satan known to this realm as the Hammer could keep me from caring about B5. But I am getting soft. Cranky-meter's on full blast, and yet I haven't pissed anyone off in hours. I'm losing a step in my old age.

das
Old 08-07-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
You're a few weeks late with this question! The last episode of Season 4 is airing as I type this. Season 5 begins tomorrow.
Arrgghh, looks like I have a wait ahead of me for the last 2 seasons then.
Old 08-07-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wizdar
Well, Crusade could easily fill out the schedule thru September, yes?
Crusade starts a weekly run this next Monday morning at 1am CST.

So, maybe B5 will start over?
Old 08-07-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't pissed anyone off in hours.
“Day ain’t over yet.”

Chew, looks like you could be right. That would put the 4th season at about the 2nd week of December, me thinks.

Wow. Crusade in the middle of the freakin’ night. That’ll get ratings.
Old 08-07-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wizdar
Wow. Crusade in the middle of the freakin’ night. That’ll get ratings.
Hammer-time: prime-time slots where non science-fiction is played.

Wizdar-time: "is there coffee yet" and " middle of the freakin’ night" slots where real sci-fi gets banished to.

Old 08-07-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

would it be best for me to start on a best of or an individual volume first, then if I like it, sell it and go on, and I remeber when babylon 5 first started on dvd, there was something about the matting being wrong?
Old 08-07-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Rypro 525 •<HR SIZE=1>would it be best for me to start on a best of or an individual volume first, then if I like it, sell it and go on, and I remeber when babylon 5 first started on dvd, there was something about the matting being wrong? <HR SIZE=1>

You'll want to do B5 as an all or nothing thing. Watch it in order or not at all. If you are overwhelmingly skeptical and don't know better than to trust our judgment on this , you could get the DVD for In the Beginning. It will spoil all the fun, but it will convince you that the show kicks ass. I suggest this as a last resort.

With Farscape, there is a Best of Season 1 DVD set that is pretty good. You'll definitely want to go back and see the whole first season, but it won't be a devasting loss. To get a feel for the style and craft of the show, it's not a bad recommendation, and you can likely find it at Lackluster Video for rental.

The B5 DVDs themselves are good but not great. There have been some issues, but it's still a fine way to watch the show. The Farscape DVD are incredible. I haven't seen the SG-1 DVDs yet.

das
Old 08-07-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bring back Doctor Who
Old 08-07-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you two (das & Rypro) were to “get a room,” you could have a B5 festival [festival…FESTIVAL!! ] and das could regal you with stories of how this has permanently altered his views of how SF on TV should be done.

The major matting issue was that the CGI was done in 4:3 and was matted for WS. I think there was something having to do with the first (and second?) seasons vis-à-vis the live action shots, but don’t remember. If you’re going after the DVDTalk mantra of “The way the director intended,” you’re opening a can of worms that (IMHO) is best eaten in the Main Forum.

This is likely the one and only time the series will hit DVD, so what we get is what we got. Considering how WB handled the vhs release way back when, we’re damn_lucky to get it at all.
Old 08-07-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would get into Farscape if they would release complete season sets (I just like to get the whole tapestry if possible). So I wait...
Old 08-07-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your wait is over:

Amazon

But, I'm sure it's much cheaper elsewhere.
Old 08-07-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem is only season 1 is a box set with Farscape. I'd own the entire series if all the seasons were sold as box sets.
Old 08-07-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by waporvare
The problem is only season 1 is a box set with Farscape. I'd own the entire series if all the seasons were sold as box sets.
Season 1 came out in October 2002.

Season 2 is coming in October 2003:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=547913

They aren't rushing these out the door, but they are coming out...
Old 08-07-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bboisvert
Season 1 came out in October 2002.

Season 2 is coming in October 2003:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=547913

They aren't rushing these out the door, but they are coming out...
Why I didn't know that. Looks like it's time to save up my cash. Thanks!!
Old 08-07-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With Farscape, there is a Best of Season 1 DVD set that is pretty good. You'll definitely want to go back and see the whole first season, but it won't be a devasting loss. To get a feel for the style and craft of the show, it's not a bad recommendation, and you can likely find it at Lackluster Video for rental.

das
Does anyone know if thats true about finding it at blockbuster? I'm going tomorrow.
Old 08-07-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Rypro 525 •<HR SIZE=1>Does anyone know if thats true about finding it at blockbuster? I'm going tomorrow. <HR SIZE=1>

The national chain most certainly carries it; in fact, I think ADV developed it specifically for them. Whether your neighborhood store has it, who knows, but one of the prime objectives in the initiative to bring the show back for the promised 5th season was contacting every Lackluster we could find and making sure they had ordered at least one copy from their national distributor. I'd guess unless you live in Podunkville, there's a pretty good chance they have it.

das
Old 08-08-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe it's just the way my brain works ________(insert joke...here)_________, but I only plan to have one B5 season on DVD (the upcoming and pre-ordered Season 3). I could change my mind, but I doubt it. I know the saga well (I've watched it through several times and I have all of Jane Killick's epguides) and S3 has my two favorite episodes (Severed Dreams and Z'ha'dum).

My current policy is one season per show on DVD. I may have to alter that if Homicide continues past S3, but right now it seems firm.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.