Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Who's trying these online game rental thingies?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard about a new online game rental site called www.triggerfingers.com which operates similar to Netflix, i.e. for a monthly fee you can rent a number of games with no late fees. I'd be willing to give it a shot if I wasn't already paying for Netflix and didn't have enough to keep me busy for a while anyway. I have doubts about the availability of the more popular titles as I would imagine they probably do not have adequate stock yet and considering that a video game will probably be kept out considerably longer than a movie.

So has anyone tried this service or another like it and want to offer their impressions?
Old 08-08-03, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've used gamefly and while it's ok there are a couple of complaints I have already

- Slow shipping mainly due to lack of distributed shipping centers (I guess I'm a little spoiled by Netflix now that they are shipping from various places nationwide).

- Lack of plans (they only offer 1 out for ~$14 or 2 for ~$22).

- Lack of attention to security (the login page doesn't default to SSL even though there is a SSL version available, whenever you change your password it emails you a confirmation w/ the password) [This might just be a nitpicky thing on my part though ]

On the flip side there are some pluses
- It has the same ease of use of Netflix

- Currently they have a like it/buy it plan (Netflix used to have one way back when). It's a minor discount over the usual "used" price, nothing spectacular so far.

- Haven't had a problem w/ getting any titles yet. This may be as a result of there not being many subscribers, but even a week after SW:Knights of the Republic came out I was able to get a copy sent out.
I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll keep it in the long run. The service is nice (as I dislike going to rental stores) but the slow shipping and lack of plans/options are very strong negatives. Looking at the one you posted though I may end up switching to that/giving them a try