update on New Xbox Live Dashboard due 8/25

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-03, 02:01 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update on New Xbox Live Dashboard due 8/25

http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/About/Features-LiveNow.htm

"If you're an Xbox Live subscriber, you're about to see some amazing improvements and additions to the Xbox Dashboard. We're calling these new features Live Now. When you fire up your Xbox on August 25 (without a game in the tray), you'll be able to bask in the glory of the new look and new capabilities.

For starters, you'll get to your Friends List right away, in the Dash, without going through Account Management or starting up a Live game. On your Friends list, you'll see who's online and what game they're playing. If you want to invite them to join you in a new game, you can send the invite from the Dash! This makes it so much easier to hook up with your friends and get in a game.

You'll also be able to set up a Voice Chat session from your Dashboard. How cool is that?

Account Management is also on the main screen and has all the fabulous and tantalizing account management options that you have all come to know and love. Okay, we know they're not quite as exciting as the Halo 2 trailer, but it's good to have 'em when you need 'em.

If you just can't deal with change, just select Main Menu, and you'll be right back in the comfortable old main menu."
Old 08-06-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, I think this will be pretty sweet!
Old 08-06-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Now if they would build in an option to go to the dashbaord with a game in the tray.
Old 08-06-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most exxxcellent.
Old 08-06-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now THAT is how you improve on an already great online service.

This is great and the big day can't get here fast enough.
Bring it on.
Old 08-06-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And it might be nice to be able to set up Chat Sessions with a group from here and talk about upcoming games. 16 people vocal people from here talking at one time could get kinda ugly I guess but I'm curious to try it.
Old 08-06-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally posted by Cusm
Now if they would build in an option to go to the dashbaord with a game in the tray.
Yep
Old 08-07-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

LOL they surreptitiously changed the paragraph:

"...When you fire up your Xbox in mid-September..."

--
also, just booted the xbox, and there's a message...
looks like on 8/14, xbox live will be down for 8 hours.

Last edited by young; 08-07-03 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-08-03, 02:04 AM
Banned

OH **** does that XSN thing look like a ad placement to anyone else!? I sure hope I don't load up my dashboard to get ads to the right of the screen. I can see it now a small picture and the text saying coming soon pre-order form EB games or M$ or something alone them lines. I know we will see ads on line with the PSX2 or xbox I'm just not sure what one is going to do it first.

Boy I hope I'm worng but I'm willing to bet I'm not DOH.
Old 08-08-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
After this you will be owned!

xbox.com
Imagine this scenario: You get home from work, school, band camp… whatever, and you feel like playing a little Ghost Recon. So you pop the Ghost DVD into your Xbox and look around for a game. Only none of your clan members are online. This annoys you. How dare they? So you have two choices: You could go do your homework, mow the lawn, or practice playing the trumpet, OR you could pop in an Xbox Live Aware title and play a fun offline game while you wait for your buddies to get their butts on Xbox Live.

Xbox Music Mixer and other Xbox Live Aware titles will hit the shelves in time for the holiday season, which will make for incredible post-holiday gaming online AND offline.

Here's how it's going to work. You pop an offline game (or super-fun title like Xbox Music Mixer) into your Xbox and it automatically searches for an Xbox Live account. If you're an Xbox Live subscriber, you'll be logged into the service. Unfortunately, this doesn't make your offline game magically Xbox Live enabled (sorry, Halo fans), but it DOES give you the ability to keep track of what's happening on Xbox Live. You can quickly check your Friends List to see if any of those slackers have logged on. Plus, your friends will be able to see that you're online and send you game invites that will pop up in the game you're playing—just like a cross-game invite between two Xbox Live enabled games. So when your clan members start to log on to Xbox Live, they'll send you a Ghost Recon game invite, you'll pop in the Ghost disc, and away you'll go!

Xbox Live Aware opens the doors that once separated online and offline games. As Xbox Live Aware program manager Andrew Murphy said, "It's the icing on the cake. Once a lot of games use Xbox Live Aware, you'll wonder what you ever did without it."
Old 08-08-03, 02:22 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With all this news of added functionality, MS is continuing to expand it's lead in online console gaming.
Old 08-09-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok.....last nght I logged in and got the message about the LIVE down time and the updates.

Then, as I posted in another thread, my Friends list disappears for a few hours.

I wonder if they are trying to roll out the updates a little early. The first schedule maintenece isn't for another few days.

The Live Aware idea is nice but I don't think music mixer should be called a game.

I also wonder about the ways LIVE will be connected to the PC. They say there will be a page where you can go to see who is playing and what they are playing. They have to have something better than that don't they? There must be a little program that will pop up and tell you when a buddy signs on or else the connectivity between the XBOX and PC would be kinda of weak.

I'm just really bored and really looking forward to these updates. And my friend borrowed a ton of XBOX games this weekend and left me with a crappy selection. I never want to play a game or watch a DVD until it's been rented out.
Old 08-10-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Is there going to be a way to play MP3s off your computer with the new Dashboard. I heard it was coming but did not see it in the specs.
Old 08-10-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BigDaddy
Is there going to be a way to play MP3s off your computer with the new Dashboard. I heard it was coming but did not see it in the specs.

That is part of the Music Mixer ( or Maker ) app that is coming out here real soon. I wanted it when it was first announced but now I have all my MP3s already on my XBOX so I might just save myself the 39.99. The transfer feature was the only part of this program I thought was cool.

But then again I really would like to be able to fast forward and rewind some of my MP3s so if the media player is worth it.....i might look into getting it.

*edited to add:
http://www.xbox.com/musicmixer/
It is Mixer. and I figured I'd add the two pics that actually make me want this thing.

Last edited by MasterofDVD; 08-10-03 at 09:26 PM.