Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Northfork, a film by the Polish Brothers

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I just watched this last night.

It's been a long time since I don't know how exactly I feel about a movie. This fits that bill. And BTW, I am a Lynch and Jodorowsky fan, among others.

The only thing I can unreservedly say is that M. David Mullen's cinematography continues to impress.

Anyone else venture an opinion and/or insight? SPOILER material may follow.
Old 08-06-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was more or less stumped by Northfork. I either missed what I was supposed to get or I got it and it didn't affect me. I watched it a little too late after a long day, and I think maybe I spaced a little bit. Looking back, I may be a little frustrated that we weren't given more to work with in terms of interpretation. There are several themes going on, but I'm just not sure how they all fit together.

Visually I thought it was great, and all of the performances were enjoyable. Some of the humor was unexpected, and I'm still not sure about how it fit in.
Spoiler:
What are you talking about Willis?

I'll certainly give it another chance on DVD.

stoolie
Old 08-18-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw the film Friday night. I thought it was good: ***/**** but I was somewhat confused as well (Who/what were these characters played by Anthony Edwards, Daryl Hannah, et al?) . I absolutely LOVED the scene in the diner. I thought the performances were strong: James Woods, Daryl Hannah, Nick Nolte. I wish Michelle Hicks would have had a larger role (she was really good in "Twin Falls Idaho"). The cinematography was outstanding.
Old 08-18-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LiquidSky
(Who/what were these characters played by Anthony Edwards, Daryl Hannah, et al?)
Spoiler:
I think they were supposed to be angels. Or angel finders.
Old 08-19-03, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely missed whatever the point was.

I thought it was garbage. You pretty much would have to
read a lengthy synopsis before seeing NORTHFORK to understand
what the hell is going on.
Old 08-19-03, 08:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw five movies this weekend, and Northfork was the last one, on Sunday night. It was kind of a downer to end a great movie weekend on.

I...didn't really get it. I thought it was beautifully shot, and there were some really nice images. I even enjoyed Nick Nolte, who is having a very interesting year (loved him in "The Good Thief", and thought he was the best thing in the not-very-good "Hulk"), and always enjoy seeing James Woods. Still, this thing seemed kind of ponderous to me. It was nice to look at, but on the whole it seemed a lot longer than it needed to be, and overall was pretty pretentious (and hey, I LIKE pretentious movies! )
Old 08-23-03, 10:40 PM

I know alot of people were bored silly, but I saw this as the last of four movies in the same day, and was totally involved the whole way.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by LiquidSky
(Who/what were these characters played by Anthony Edwards, Daryl Hannah, et al?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a chance to see it again last week with the Polish brothers there for a Q&A, and according to them:

Spoiler:
Those characters were creations of the boy's mind as he coped with his death. On his bedside table was a porcelain hand, a teacup, a Hercules comic book, etc... He used these objects and envisioned them into angels who would save him

Someone did ask them about the Coen Brothers/David Lynch comparisons. They said they felt they were lazy comparisons, and that Hudsucker Proxy was the last Coen film they had seen, and Blue Velvet for Lynch. He felt they were much more influenced by Kieslowski and Sergio Leone, but that no one ever makes those comparisons.

One other interesting note: after financing fell through the day before shooting started, the movie was paid for on
Michael Polish's American Express, with a big loan from close personal friend Sade !!
Old 08-25-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Occupant....thanks for the info. The Polish brothers were supposed to come to the screening in Nashville but had to cancel. I would have loved to have met them. "Twin Falls Idaho" is one of my all-time favorite films.
Old 01-18-04, 04:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I definitely missed whatever the point was.

I thought it was garbage. You pretty much would have to
read a lengthy synopsis before seeing NORTHFORK to understand
what the hell is going on.
I agree. The cinematogrophy was cool, but the rest of the movie was a lot of crap. I like movies that get pretty random, like Mulholland Dr., but at least that had a pretty intriguing story to go along with it. Northfork was just boring.
Old 01-18-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't care much for the film, but the look was nice.

Agreed, It was boring. I liked twin falls idaho. Hated jackpot.
The directors seem a little pretentious and perhaps a little too serious about themselves and the stories they want to tell. I just don't see enough power in their storytelling or filmmaking abilities.
Old 02-07-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I enjoyed the film's humor and the cinematography -- the diner and the ark scenes were great. The wooden giraffe creature was kind of freaky and caught me by surprise. The movie did move somewhat slow, but the beautiful images and the quirky "plot" kept me from becoming bored.
Old 02-07-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also watched this late at night and almost fell asleep. I'm a big
Woods fan, but I think I was too tired to appreciate what they
were trying to convey

Jason