Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Doors - Legacy: Absolute Best due 8/12!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Favorite Doors CD?
THE DOORS
15.00%
STRANGE DAYS
25.00%
WAITING FOR THE SUN
10.00%
THE SOFT PARADE
0%
MORRISON HOTEL
10.00%
L.A. WOMAN
5.00%
Other / Can't stand THE DOORS
35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

The Doors - Legacy: Absolute Best due 8/12!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BREAK ON THROUGH (TO THE OTHER SIDE)
BACK DOOR MAN
LIGHT MY FIRE
TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX
THE CRYSTAL SHIP
ALABAMA SONG (WHISKEY BAR)
SOUL KITCHEN
THE END
LOVE ME TWO TIMES
PEOPLE ARE STRANGE
WHEN THE MUSIC'S OVER
MY EYES HAVE SEEN YOU
MOONLIGHT DRIVE
STRANGE DAYS
HELLO, I LOVE YOU
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER
SPANISH CARAVAN
FIVE TO ONE
NOT TO TOUCH THE EARTH

TOUCH ME
WILD CHILD
TELL ALL THE PEOPLE
WISHFUL SINFUL
ROADHOUSE BLUES
WAITING FOR THE SUN
YOU MAKE ME REAL
PEACE FROG
LOVE HER MADLY
L.A. WOMAN
RIDERS ON THE STORM
THE WASP (TEXAS RADIO AND THE BIG BEAT)
THE CHANGELING
GLORIA
CELEBRATION OF THE LIZARD
02:29 (From The Doors)
03:34 (From The Doors)
07:08 (From The Doors)
02:33 (From The Doors)
02:34 (From The Doors)
03:19 (From The Doors)
03:35 (From The Doors)
11:46 (From The Doors)
03:16 (From Strange Days)
02:12 (From Strange Days)
11:02 (From Strange Days)
02:29 (From Strange Days)
03:04 (From Strange Days)
03:09 (From Strange Days)
02:16 (From Waiting For The Sun)
03:25 (From Waiting For The Sun)
03:01 (From Waiting For The Sun)
04:27 (From Waiting For The Sun)
03:54 (From Waiting For The Sun)

03:12 (From The Soft Parade)
02:38 (From The Soft Parade)
03:21 (From The Soft Parade)
02:58 (From The Soft Parade)
04:04 (From Morrison Hotel)
04:00 (From Morrison Hotel)
02:53 (From Morrison Hotel)
02:58 (From Morrison Hotel)
03:18 (From L.A. Woman)
07:51 (From L.A. Woman)
07:10 (From L.A. Woman)
04:15 (From L.A. Woman)
04:21 (From L.A. Woman)
06:18 (From Alive, She Cried)
17:10 (Prev. Unissued Studio Version)
Formed in L.A. in the turbulent mid-’60s, The Doors were as intense as the era itself, and their now-legendary career was brief but incendiary. Rock and Roll Hall of Famers since 1993, The Doors -- fronted by the charismatic Jim Morrison -- remain one of the most influential bands ever. DJ Jim Ladd sums it up best in his liner notes: “This is authentic music made by four guys who brought a sense of literature, as well as revolution, into the mix. . . . They delivered on their promise to move us, to free us, and to make us think.”

THE FACTS: Now the only 2-CD complete Doors collection available!
Packed with over 2 1/2 hours of groundbreaking and career-spanning cuts, all remastered for stellar sound.
Culled from their entire classic catalog: 34 greatest hits, essential tracks, and signature songs including the #1 singles “Light My Fire” and “Hello, I Love You.”
Features the previously unreleased studio version of “Celebration Of The Lizard.”
Archival photos plus truly inspired liner notes from quintessential Los Angeles rock ’n’ roll DJ Jim Ladd.
Compilation produced in collaboration with The Doors.
To be supported by over $600,000 in Direct Response TV media buys. Over 1,500 spots to begin airing approximately four weeks prior to street date.
Coincides with the repackaged and remastered release of their 7-CD boxed set, The Complete Studio Recordings.
The Doors have select tour dates scheduled through October.

Last edited by bigjim25; 08-22-03 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-05-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damnit, I just bought a few doors cds, I am guessing that these are the uncut versions. "break on through" he said "she get" in all previous releases, but in the 99 remasters he said "she get high" and in "the end" he says the f word many times.
Old 08-05-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have some problems witht the current Doors management, let me air these grievances now.

The majority of problems I have with The Door's is their "label" they run, Bright Midnight Records. The purpose of this "label" was to release the finite number of recorded concerts in CD and/or DVD. The problem is that they have only released about 4 concerts with insane prices, because it is an internet run "label."

Bright Midnight -which was to have no ties with Elektra Records- is now re-releasing the box set of their complete studio recordings with a bogus outtakes disc. The outtake disc of course won't be out until six months after the box is released. Also, they are releasing what is to be the SIXTH best-of (for a band which only had six albums), The Absolute Best Of The Doors which contains the same rare cut as the new outtake disc, "Celebration of the Lizard."

To make matters worse, they have cancelled releasing a Vancouver '70 disc and will now be putting out of a best of bootleg disc called, "Boot Yer Butt."

The Doors are completely pissing on their legacy .
Old 08-05-03, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Bright Midnight -which was to have no ties with Elektra Records- is now re-releasing the box set of their complete studio recordings with a bogus outtakes disc."

Wait, they are re-releasing that? Link or something?
Old 08-05-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Doors - Legacy: Absolute Best due 8/12!

Originally posted by KTIK
"Bright Midnight -which was to have no ties with Elektra Records- is now re-releasing the box set of their complete studio recordings with a bogus outtakes disc."

Wait, they are re-releasing that? Link or something?
Originally posted by bigjim25
Coincides with the repackaged and remastered release of their 7-CD boxed set, The Complete Studio Recordings.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

The new box is supposed to be a longbox and contain a different 7th bonus disc than the former box set (the cube as they are referring to it). This disc will be released separately six months after the new box comes out for people who already have all their albums.

The point is simple, Manzarek and the others have done nothing (other than those two decent at best Doors albums) since Jim died and have made a living ripping off Doors fans.
Old 08-05-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no more Doors left to hear. The concerts that Bright Midnight release are repetitive and same-old, there's nothing left in the vaults that could pass for unreleased material (not since "Orange County Suite" was released in the box set), and the current tour is a joke.
Old 08-14-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

can someone confirm if these are the uncut versions before I buy, I can't go back to cut versions
Old 08-14-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rypro 525
can someone confirm if these are the uncut versions before I buy, I can't go back to cut versions
I would assume so, but have no clue. Try asking the people at The Doors forum, as they could probably tell better than we.

After I bought the box of all the recordings, I have never looked at the best-of's again.
Old 08-14-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
After I bought the box of all the recordings, I have never looked at the best-of's again.
I'm the same way. Got my start with the (awful) The Doors Greaatest Hits on cassette ten years ago, moved onto the (then-great) The Best of The Doors 2-CD set, and then I liked that so much, that I then went out and bought all of their studio albums one-by-one.

Then, of course, once they released The Complete Studio Recordings cube a few years ago, I bought that, and ditched all my single CDs. I probably won't ever buy another Doors CD for the rest of my life. They already got me good enough.
Old 08-14-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Virex
They already got me good enough.
Amen. I will never buy another one of their studio recordings .

Live stuff on the other hand...
Old 08-14-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

'Strange Days' is my favorite...This entire week this all I've been listening too---trying to get those creative juices going...I already have the 'Cube' boxset and I don't intend on giving ol' Ray anymore money.
Old 08-15-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
This has every Doors song I need

I think the new set is a lot of filler. The above single-disc is all the good stuff.
Old 08-16-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Complete Studio Recordings has everything I need, I might buy their old set some time (Box Set #1).
Old 08-17-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wahoo, just what everyone wants! another best of!
Old 08-20-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
That doesn't seem like to bad of a price. Hmmm.

It's been awhile since I've played the albums but looking at the tracks I'd say "Strange Days" or "LA Woman" would be my fave.
Old 08-20-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
That doesn't seem like to bad of a price. Hmmm.

Why Pay $24.95?
Our Price:
$18.21
looks like you missed out
Old 08-20-03, 08:02 PM

I agree with the above comments; Manzarek is mooching off of the legacy, what's left of it. But, the Who, Hendrix, and others are watering down the fan's trust. Repackaging the same stuff over and over, the answer is to stop buying it.
Meanwhile, we can't get Bob Seger's best stuff (pre- B. Loser) released or Dave Clark Five, etc.
Old 08-20-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Damn. Guess I'll pass then since I have everything on vinyl!!!!
Old 08-22-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my copy of The Doors Legacy when it was $11.89, today!
These are the album versions according to CD booklet.
I really love this set and it's great to have for the last 2 songs on Disc 2.

Last edited by bigjim25; 08-22-03 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-23-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So let me get this straight. The 99'remaster of the debut album included the uncut versions of Break on Through & The End?

If so. That sucks,that i payed $30 for the gold mobile sound lab cd released years ago. It sounds awsome,but is the standard edited album.

I do have the other Doors albums in the latest remasters('99s),yet skipped the first album since i had that gold disc. Yet if it's unedited. I guess i will buy it..& see if i can get a good deal off ebay for the gold disc,which go for alot on some albums.
Old 08-23-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd guess, thats the only way I'm upgrading.
Old 08-24-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I just bought this yesterday and, while waiting in line, all I could think about was the line from the Kids in the Hall's "Doors Fan" sketch: "Greatest Hits albums are for housewives and little girls."

Still, it's good stuff.
Old 10-28-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know that the "studio" version of this song became available for the first time when they released The Doors Box Set, and later released on the Absolute Best of the Doors collection...but I also remember the backstory to this: it sucked.

Back in 1968, they they were trying to lay down the tracks to their third studio album, their intention for Waiting For The Sun was to have the first side of the record be Celebration of the Lizard, but Jim Morrison couldn't keep it together. He'd be too drunk, or he'd not be in the serious frame of mind and kept f-ing it up, whatever. The Doors couldn't do it, and instead recorded a portion of the epic: Not To Touch The Earth.

So now the entire thing is on CD. Has anyone listened to this? Is it in the same order as the "Live" version:

+Lions In The Street
+Wake Up
+A Little Game
+The Hill Dwellers
+Not To Touch The Earth
+Names of the Kingdom
+The Palace of Exile

Lastly, are Jim Morrison's vocals an embarrassment, and should this studio take have been left on the production studio floor?

I, for one, would have loved to have seen Celebration of the Lizard take up the whole side of Waiting For The Sun, but The Doors felt it wasn't up to snuff...so what's changed?

P.S. In regards to Waiting For The Sun, you can tell Jim was drunk during the recording of Wintertime Love - he was completely out of key. Ironically, a cassette tape that had 2-on-1 studio albums of The Doors and Waiting For The Sun had an excellent take on Wintertime Love, and I never understood why they didn't use the perfect cut in place of the out of tune cut.
Old 10-28-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
So let me get this straight. The 99'remaster of the debut album included the uncut versions of Break on Through & The End?

Okay, I'm confused.

I've always heard the same version of Break on Through from my mid 80's vinyl through the 93 remastered CDs. The bridge to the third verse is "She get, she get, she get... hhhiiiiggghhhh". The version I recently heard on the radio is "She get high" repeated three times. Is this how the song was originally released in the 60's by Elektra, or is this just historical revisionism to make it the way it "should" have been? Same with The End. I seem to remember reading that the record was released with out the F's in it, because rock fans were really shocked when it was performed live with all the F's in place.
Old 10-28-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jason
Okay, I'm confused.

I've always heard the same version of Break on Through from my mid 80's vinyl through the 93 remastered CDs. The bridge to the third verse is "She get, she get, she get... hhhiiiiggghhhh". The version I recently heard on the radio is "She get high" repeated three times. Is this how the song was originally released in the 60's by Elektra, or is this just historical revisionism to make it the way it "should" have been? Same with The End. I seem to remember reading that the record was released with out the F's in it, because rock fans were really shocked when it was performed live with all the F's in place.
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but I will try to clarify:

All my experiences come from The Complete Studio Recording Box and may not hold true for any other remasters.

* Break On Through was editted to restore the line "she get high", prior to that it just said she get eiiiiiiii kind of line Morrison did in The End when he says he wants to have sex with his mom. If you don't believe me, listen to the version of Break On Through on the Greatest Hits CD from the 80s that includes the video to be played on a pc.

*The End has had the f's restored.

*Wintertime Love uses an alternate mix. Presumably for the reasons Buttmunker stated. I have only heard Wintertime Love on the box set, so I am not too sure if this one is true.

There are probably tons more considering Manzarek loves editing their songs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.