Reload this Page >

New spin on the Leary roast

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-05-03, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw Denis Leary on The Daily Show last night.

Remember our initial reaction to this, where we were asking just why Leary was being roasted? How the assumption was that Comedy Central was doing the roasts instead of paying major $$$ for the rights to the Friar's Club roasts?

Well, last night Leary said that not only is his company editing the broadcast (meaning those of us that want to see him taken to task for stealing the material of Bill Hicks are out of luck), but he also said that this whole thing was put together by his production company, and he hand-picked who would be on it.

In other words, this isn't Comedy Central roasting Denis Leary, this is Denis Leary roasting Denis Leary. An excuse to stroke his ego.

Pretty sad, in my opinion.
Old 08-05-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just looking for a reason to hate Leary? eh?

It's not that simple:

Comedy Central is launching a roast franchise and has recruited actor-producer Denis Leary to produce it. The cable channel has inked a deal with Leary and Jim Serpico's Apostle Pictures to produce Comedy Central-branded annual specials poking fun at well-known personalities for the next three years. Leary is going to be the first to step into the roasting pit with "The Comedy Central Roast of Denis Leary," which will be taped June 26 for an Aug. 10 broadcast. Michael J. Fox, James Gandolfini, Elizabeth Hurley, Colin Quinn, Jon Stewart and Christopher Walken are among the celebrities scheduled to attend. In the past five years, Comedy Central carried the New York Friars Club annual roast ceremonies, with the telecasts ranking as the five top-rated specials in the channel's history. This year, the Friars Club decided not to have their roast televised. Meanwhile, Comedy Central has been exploring the idea of launching its own roast franchise better suited for TV than the designed-as-a-live-event Friars ceremony and approached longtime collaborator Leary with it.
Old 08-05-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

also:

As for Comedy Central's choice of Leary to be the first one peppered by his peers, it took the comedian some thinking before he accepted.

His motive for finally saying yes? "This is a great opportunity for Hollywood to poke fun of one of its greatest talents — me," Leary said.
Obviously tongue-in-cheek.
Old 08-05-03, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DodgingCars
Just looking for a reason to hate Leary? eh?

It's not that simple:
Yawn.. whatever. Weren't you humiliated bad enough in the previous thread? You looked really funny when you demanded proof, got it, then sat there like a child with your fingers in your ears screaming "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA"

Yes, it is "that simple." You even posted the exact same thing I did, yet for some reason you think it's a positive thing from Leary.

How far do you have your head up his ass, anyway?
Old 08-05-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JestersTear
Yawn.. whatever. Weren't you humiliated bad enough in the previous thread? You looked really funny when you demanded proof, got it, then sat there like a child with your fingers in your ears screaming "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA"

Yes, it is "that simple." You even posted the exact same thing I did, yet for some reason you think it's a positive thing from Leary.

"Such and such website says its true" is not proof.
Old 08-05-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh, you clearly won the argument now.
Old 08-05-03, 03:22 PM

Couple points here...

It would appear that the Comedy Central roasts boast a lot more star power than the loser fests that the Friars hold (Freddy Roman? Jackie Martling? Jeez....).

Denis Leary is FUNNY, which means that he never could have stolen Bill Hicks' material.

Flame away sparky!
Old 08-05-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
methinks someone has an

Old 08-06-03, 12:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

This is highly uncalled for. If you haven't noticed, the previous two threads on this topic have been closed. Please don't continue that trend. It may also be worth noting that the last poster to go off in these threads has been suspended for his actions.
Old 08-06-03, 06:02 PM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts
I'm just glad it's not Carson Daly... again!

... but I'd like to see Mya give 'ol Leary a lapdance!
Old 08-07-03, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow.

After reading through the previous two threads, and now this one, I guess all I can say is wow.

Someone said Denis Leary essentially ripped off Bill Hicks and all hell broke loose. Suddenly people were racists. Hopefully this thread will remain civil, and thus, unlocked.

I heard Denis Leary's routine long before I even heard of Bill Hicks, and have since gotten into Bill Hicks' stuff as well. Logic would suggest that if Leary comes across as a Hicks rip-off, that upon hearing Hicks' material, I should think "this sounds like a Leary rip-off." That didn't happen.

I find Denis funny. I find Bill funny. I hope the roast is funny, and if - as others have suggested - that it's a common joke amongst other comedians to say that Denis Leary is famous because there's no cure for cancer (in reference to Hicks), then I'd think it would be hilarious if one of the roasters got up on stage and started to quote some of Leary's material and then say..."Wait, where have I heard this material before....oh yeah...Bill Hicks!" Not that it would ever happen.

Nonetheless, I plan on watching the roast, I hope it will be hilarious. I liked the commercial for the roast with Leary sort of roasting a few of the roasters "Jim Breur (sp?)...I thought smoking pot made things MORE funny." LAFF