Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Starship Troopers Superbit vs. Special Edition?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-03, 09:39 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the dvd talk review below but would like a comparison to the SE. Is it worth the upgrade? How much better is the A/V?

Worth the triple dip?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6886

Last edited by dgc; 08-05-03 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-05-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what reviews say, it's "reference quality"....However, i am hesitant to double dip also, since I own the SE. I'm curious just HOW MUCH better is it from the SE?
Old 08-05-03, 12:37 PM

I didnt get the SE so ill probably pick this on up
Old 08-05-03, 05:24 PM
Banned

heh, I saw the SE and SuperBit of Starship Troopers in the store and I do want the movie badly since it's in my top 40 favorite movies but I don't know which 1 to get since they are about the same price.

So I'm asking someone for there personal view on which 1 to get.
However, I will still read the DVDreview of it of course.
Old 08-05-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the SE but i haven't spent much time watching the extras on it... but from what i hear, Verhoven's commentary on it is WELL worth it.
Old 08-06-03, 02:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
I have the SE but i haven't spent much time watching the extras on it... but from what i hear, Verhoven's commentary on it is WELL worth it.
yeah Verhoeven gets quite spastic at times during the commentary. A couple 'Superbit' reviews I have read say both the DTS and Dolby tracks have both their pros and cons, with the latter having better bass.
Old 08-09-03, 07:24 PM

I am not a huge Superbit fan, but this Superbit is the best I have seen to date. Normally I'd pickup the SE with the extras, but not here. This SB is Reference Quality DVD without a doubt. Picture & DTS sound are quite amazing. If it's a favorite movie, "Both" maybe the answer. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 08-09-03, 08:47 PM
Banned

I don't watch extras that much, only sometimes tho so I'm mostly looking for Video and Audio quality when there are 2 or more different releases so I'm probley going to go with the SuperBit this time. heh, even when I go for V/A quality, I'm still not a huge SuperBit fan either and maybe thats why I don't have any in my collection but StarShip Troopers will be the first superbit in my collection.

Thanks for the reference Hulkaburger .
Old 08-10-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

since i already got the SE, i can't double dip on superbit (short on $$$)

anybody want to trade their superbit for more extra?

Old 08-10-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the superbit will give you supreme bragging rights ("I own the BEST possible quality edition of Starship Troopers!")
however i can't believe anybody, upon playing the SE on top of the line equipment, would be anything less than satisfied w/ the a/v quality.

just watched some of the supplements on the SE the other.
i doubt i will watch them again anytime soon, but they were very well done & interesting and i'm glad to have seen them.
Old 08-11-03, 01:48 PM

For anyone who hasn't bought either one yet, you might want to buy the Superbit version for your home collection, and rent the SE version when you can find it cheap at a rental store (just to see the special features). I love viewing the special features, but I RARELY will go to the trouble to view them more than once.

And to those who are unsure if the quality is improved, it IS better. But is most easily noticed on a high quality progressive scan TV or projection system.
Old 08-17-03, 02:48 AM

Wow! I can't believe how much threadcrap I had to read to get to answer to DGC's question. I do agree with MovieMan that the superbit is improved. Even on a 57" setup the difference isn't as dramatic as some other titles like Bad Boys. The SE is pretty good in its own right. The superbit has DTS and it is better than the DD.

Last edited by iove; 08-17-03 at 02:58 AM.