Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Today's CDs (8/4)

Old 08-04-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today's CDs (8/4-9)

Built to Spill - There's Nothing Wrong with Love
Spoon - Kill the Moonlight
Stars - Nightsongs
Xiu Xiu - A Promise, Knife Play
The Jim Yoshii Pile-Up/Xiu Xiu Split - Insound Tour Support

QOTD: Have you ever heard a song title and thought, "Damn, that would make a great band name," but just couldn't let yourself do it? I think The Lie and How We Told It would be a great name, but it is the title of a Yo La Tengo song and I don't think I'd forgive myself if I named my band that.

QOTD #2: Obviously, that question won't thrill everyone, so comment on the preceding poster's choices. That seems to be a solid one.

Yancey, two things, tell me about Parts and Labour, and did you write a review for Xiu Xiu's latest in the Voice? (I searched the website and couldn't find a review on it, although I feel like I remember reading it.)

Last edited by fallow; 08-05-03 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-04-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power (best album of the year...at the very least)
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People (almost lives up to the hype...and that's saying something because the hype is off the charts)
Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House (it's taking a real beating from the critics...proves that critics don't know ******...by far their strongest disc)
Jane's Addiction - Strays (I want to like this album, but every time I listen to it, I hate it even more)

AOTD: The Lie and How We Told It would be a killer album title...not sure if I'd call a band that though. No examples of my own that I can think of.

AOTD #2: The Built to Spill and Spoon albums are excellent. I see Xiu Xiu discussed a lot 'round these parts. I need to check 'em out. Not sure I've ever heard of Stars.
Old 08-05-03, 11:29 AM

Afro-Cuban All Stars - A Toda Cuba le Gusta (I like this more than the Buena Vista Social Club album)
Lyle Lovett - The Road To Ensenada (probably my favorite Lovett album)
Talking Heads - Remain In Light (thanks to the Talking Heads discussion here last month; "The Great Curve" is an awesome, awesome song)
The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo [Remastered] (good album, I suppose, but just a little too country for my tastes... even though I like country)
Spoon - Kill The Moonlight (just got this recently; growing on me quickly)

AOTD: No, I spend my music fantasy time dreaming about being a musician on tour, not about naming bands. Sorry. From the albums I have with me today, I think "Her First Mistake" (off Lyle's album) would be a pretty good band name. I did read an article about "inexplicable mobs" last week and I thought "The Inexplicable Mob" would be a pretty good name.

AOTD #2: If I continue to hear good things about Super Furry Animals, it'll probably get added to my "to buy" list pretty soon. Broken Social Scene is already on that list. I finally heard a full Dandy Warhols CD (Thirteen Tales...) recently and was underwhelmed. Jane's Addiction will, for better and for worse, always be a band I associate with my college days, so I don't expect to pick up Strays...
Old 08-05-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SAShepherd
AOTD: No, I spend my music fantasy time dreaming about being a musician on tour, not about naming bands. Sorry.
Hey, hey, how do you know I'm not in an as-of-yet un-named band, and I'm desperately seeking out tips I may have missed?

Well, I'm not. You got me.

I plan on buying Phantom Power eventually, but I have too much other stuff on my mind. Hopefully, I'll get it before the year is out.

For today, it's Junior Senior - D-D-Don-Don't Stop the Beat, baby!

-edit to add-

The Byrds is one of those groups that I want to check out eventually. Remain in Light is a great, great, great disc - I just met a woman who claimed she would only date people who listen to the Talking Heads because it showed a "profound intelligence". There ya go, SAShepherd.

Aside from Junior Senior, I'm listening to Gang of Four - Entertainment!, Contortions - Buy, Ex Models - Zoo Psychology, Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow and Giddy Motors - Make It Pop because I'm making two tapes for my friend.

Last edited by fallow; 08-05-03 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-05-03, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fallow - Do you like the Junior Senior album? I was planning on picking it up at some point this week...
Old 08-05-03, 06:10 PM

I'm a big fan of "Make It Pop" and an even bigger fan of "Entertainment!" Those are some fine selections, fallow.

Listened to at work while working on the most boring project ever:
Arab Strap - "Elephant Shoe"
Traffic - "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"
Silkworm - "Lifestyle"
REM - "Life's Rich Pageant"
Drive Like Jehu - "Yank Crime"
Old 08-06-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv
Fallow - Do you like the Junior Senior album? I was planning on picking it up at some point this week...
Yeah, the disc is a hell of a lot of fun. You can't help but see how loud your stereo will go when you play some of these songs. The price Best Buy has on it ($7.99) is definitely worth it.

Also, the bassist for Stars, Evan Cranley, lends his services to Broken Social Scene. They aren't very similar, but this disc is pretty good. The album sounds like innocent britpop, but the lyrics are very dark and, at times, disturbing ("call 9-1-1/ there's a boy in trouble/ he is raped and broken/ it was done by my double").

Mike, can you recommend a couple Silkworm discs? They are one of those bands that I've wanted to check out for a long time, but was always daunted by their large discography. I have no idea where to start.

Last edited by fallow; 08-06-03 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-06-03, 05:43 PM

As far as Silkworm is concerned, "Firewater" is arguably the best place to start. Some of their earlier work is impressive, but things really started to click with this release. Their latest full-length, "Italian Platinum," features Kelly Hogan and members of Bedhead/The New Year on a few tracks. The only recent Silkworm release I don't care for is the "You Are Dignified" EP, which sounds a little lifeless to me.
Old 08-07-03, 01:38 PM

Fallow: Parts & Labour is an instrumental Brooklyn trio, that could easily fit on the Load roster. I have one of their records and their demo (their bassist is a friend of a friend). Very good stuff.

I did write about the Xiu Xiu album for the Voice. That's a very good album, though Knife Play is better. The Insound split I should get soon -- I know the JYPU guys pretty well (I was the first person to write about them -- I wrote about their demo for P'fork way back int he day) and they're sposed to send it to me.

Junior Senior is great great great. The live show of the year for me.

Fallow, if you haven't heard Drive Like Jehu's Yank Crime (it's on Mike's listening list), put it atop yr to buy list.

As for the Byrds, I have every one of their records up through the mid-70s, and the biggest problem I have with them is Roger McGuinn. His voice is so weak. He sounds like such a pu$$y it infuriates me. There are great songs, of course, but ultimately I think they're overrated, even if I listen to them a lot. Sweetheart's definitely their best album, but mainly because Parson's emergence pushes McGuinn to the background where he belongs.

Record I've been obsessing over: Brooks & Dunn's Red Dirt Road. The last song (a hidden track) called "Holy War" is so amazingly bizarre. It MUST be heard. I'm not even sure how to describe it, but if word spreads about it, expect a Dixie Chicks-sized blowback. The lyrics are very, very, very strange. And the album as a whole is pretty wonderful.
Old 08-07-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mike1978

Traffic - "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys"
great album....but I like the John Barleycorn disc more. I loved early S. Winwood. I just enjoyed some Traffic the other day....and followed them up with Badfinger.
Old 08-07-03, 01:58 PM

I've been on a recent Traffic kick too. And I've been revisiting the early Jethro Tull records. Talk about a band ready for a critical reevaluation...
Old 08-07-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Yancey
I did write about the Xiu Xiu album for the Voice. That's a very good album, though Knife Play is better. The Insound split I should get soon -- I know the JYPU guys pretty well (I was the first person to write about them -- I wrote about their demo for P'fork way back int he day) and they're sposed to send it to me.
Did you have something to the effect of "ridiculously pretentious, ridiculously morose, ridiculously beautiful," in there? If so, you may be smitten to know that when I pulled out A Promise to listen to the other day, I noticed that 5RC tagged that on the accompanying sticker. No name, but it did say Village Voice at the bottom.
Old 08-07-03, 02:05 PM

No, that wasn't me. My review:

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0314/strickler.php
Old 08-07-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aw, damn, nevermind then.