Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nitpicky gripe(s) about a game you love

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 09:23 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nitpicky gripe(s) about a game you love

KOTR

The load game option is above the save game option in the menu. Once you hit it, the next screen looks identical. If you pick a slot to load, it does so without asking you to verify.

Thus, after playing for a long while late at night, it is very easy to finish a tough battle, go to save, only to load your last save and lose all your progress.

I've done this at least 5 times already. Luckily only once was after a tough spot.

I don't even see why they put a load option in the in game menu. Isn't that what the "quit" option is for?
Old 08-05-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar problem with "The Thing" right now - every time you die it gives you the option to restart level (the default selection) or quit to main menu...

I don't know about you, but I usually save *during* the level... so you're forced to go back to the main menu, and load the game again. However, since "Restart Level" is the default selection I am constantly messing up and clicking it by mistake...

I wish more games would simply let you RELOAD from the LAST SAVE GAME... because that's what we all do, right? IIRC, Resident Evil: Code Veronica let you do that (finally) as did Devil May Cry? I think... anyway it's much better than having to go back to the main menu, choose load, pick the memory card and then the save game EVERY time... especially when you DIE a lot like I do...

Then again... this sounds totally pathetic and lazy...
Old 08-05-03, 12:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Speaking of Kotor, it irks me that you can go into somebody's home, steal all of their stuff right before their very eyes, without any consequence...you don't even get Dark Side points for this! Of course, this is a problem with a lot of RPG's.

Also, it was disappointing when (minor spoilers)...

Spoiler:
...you rescue Bastilla and she has a double-edged lightsaber. I think most Star Wars fanboys like myself would have preferred to have save this kewl weapon for themselves, and have it a big harder to obtain.

I agree that it's bad in any game where you can leave your current game before saving without confrimation. In Halo, there's an auto-save system at certain checkpoints. This is a GREAT feature, but you have to choose "Save and Quit" from the menu for it to "stick." Occasionally I'll forget to do this and just turn of the Xbox. Grr.
Old 08-05-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh, where to start w/ KoTOR!

ok, mostly, they're minor minor nitpicks, but here's my list:
there's a lot of running around in this game
if you shortened the running distance, the worlds are actually very small - why am i walking all the time?
graphics aren't that great
NPCs repeat - at least make the unique speaking NPCs different
no vertical looking like in morrowind - very 2D (yes, there is the push the right joystick and you sort of get a 3D view)
inventory system is cumbersome
loading... still loading...
why is the ebon hawk not black?
Old 08-05-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you may want to turn on the autosave if that is the case.

I think I'll hijack this and just list my gripes about KOTOR.

Combat AI is retarded. Doesn't make much difference in your normal battles, but against bosses, your teammates are to slow to join the action, or will kill 1 guy, then stop shooting. Its too much of a pain to pause every round and queue up basic attacks. Also enemy jedi should know not to cast force powers on a character once he has cast force immunity, or at least cast plague.

They use a D-20 system, but hide all the numbers. Why can't they show you your rolls and enemy defence on the screen. Sometime AFTER a battle I will go look at the feedback, look at the numbers, then realize that with 2 weapons my to hitt chance is 10%, but with 1 its 40%.

Hidden effects. why can't they tell you that melee vs ranged gives a +10 to hit?

Lack of explanation of game effects. They show all melee damage as physical, when really there is slashing, and bludgeoning. Whats immunity to mind affecting anyways?

Same thing for character levels and classes. Couldn't they explain each character, show his unique feats, show the progression of base attack bonus, saves, and which level s/he gets feats on? I'll bet most people didn't know that the scoundrel makes a superior high level jedi, becuase the scoundrel gets a bonus to AC, and a sneak attack bonus to stunned units.

Making your teammates act in anger puts YOU down the dark path, not them.

The fact that in general being light side means giving away money.

They add the script fuction in order to alter the AI, but why not make some decent scripts? How hard is it to make a "ranged, then melee" or a "stay in the back" script?
Old 08-05-03, 12:29 PM

* there's a lot of running around in this game

Agreed, although being able to teleport back to your base is very helpful, especially with the free heal.

* NPCs repeat - at least make the unique speaking NPCs different

True dat. Although all RPG's are guilty of this. Considering that every line not delivered by the main PC is voice-acted, they did pretty good.

* no vertical looking like in morrowind - very 2D

This is a huge gripe that a lot of people have with the Aurora engine in general. Very limited Z-axis.

* inventory system is cumbersome

It's not too bad compared to, say, Morrowind where everything is just bunched together. When equipping stuff it's nice to have a quick and easy list to compare what you have.

* loading... still loading...

* Combat AI is retarded.

Hopefully in the PC version there will be a feature where you can write your own scripts.

* They use a D-20 system, but hide all the numbers.

Yeah, I'm a numbers freak myself. At least make it an option.

* Lack of explanation of game effects.

An obvious ploy to get you to buy the strategy guide.
Old 08-05-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I will hop on the KOTOR wagon as well, besides the ones mentioned.
I hate it that you can not dump all of your inventory items at once, or at least the screen will not stay up past one item. Also I hate having crew members make one item at a time, lame.

Madden - I hate that there is no online owner mode. I want to draft with other real people, make real trades, etc. I hate that one can cheese and trade some okay players for awesome draft picks. I have actually traded and had all but one draft pick in the first round, and the only thing I lost was some overpriced FA.
Also I wish Madden had the players play to their stats, and not see Sapp out run and tackle Ricky Williams 40 yards down field.

Diablo - No new sequal/replacment!!

Ghost Recon - Enemies always at the same locations in online team play. I want to be able to pick up other peoples weapons. I hate loosing a demo expert and the mission ends, in real life you just pick up his ordnances and continue, this was great in SOCOM.
Old 08-05-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
* inventory system is cumbersome

It's not too bad compared to, say, Morrowind where everything is just bunched together. When equipping stuff it's nice to have a quick and easy list to compare what you have.
i just wanted to put away all the stuff that i didn't need. like the datapads and all the light sabers. but, as far as i could figure out, i could only put in one item at a time into a crate. and if i wanted something from that crate, i grabbed everything.

so i ended up just carrying everything.
Old 08-05-03, 12:41 PM

I guess since your inventory is limitless I just carry everything around anyway.

Which reminds me of the classic Diablo gripe: INVENTORY! You spend most of the game dealing with inventory hassles. "I'm over-burdened!"
Old 08-05-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
The biggest Diablo gripe - Stupid PKs. Noting like loosing half your money and experience because some level 99 wants to "duel" your level 10 Barb.
Old 08-05-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love King of Fighters, where is my 10th sequel???