Star Trek (TOS) Sets coming!!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to an article from Video Software dealers Association (VSDA) found here Star Trek tos box sets are coming after Voyager is through.

quote:

The other tidbit I can pass along is that Paramount will begin releasing the season collections of Star Trek: Voyager beginning in 2004. They will be done with DS9 by year's end. After Voyager will come collections of the original series, since the shows were released as individual discs with two episodes each. I've asked Paramount about doing feature interviews with the producers of the Trek series DVDs as well as Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, due in October, and if they happen, you'll know about it.

/quote

BTW, this has not been officially confirmed yet by Paramont, so take it as you like. But it is a good sign. Hope it is true. Hopefully I can get enough out of my 40 individual discs on ebay to pay for the box sets.
Old 08-04-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cripes. I better start saving now.
Old 08-04-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, being a Star Trek fan must be pretty expensive.
Old 08-04-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Man, being a Star Trek fan must be pretty expensive.
I'm a selective fan only planning on buying DS9 1-7, Voyager 4-7 and TOS 1-3, didn't really like TNG as a whole, there were some really good episodes though, I might pick up seasons 4-7 if I have money to burn.
Old 08-04-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bureacratic mentality...and milking the star trek franchises...are the universal constants in the universe.
Old 08-04-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Adrenaline
I'm a selective fan only planning on buying DS9 1-7, Voyager 4-7 and TOS 1-3, didn't really like TNG as a whole, there were some really good episodes though, I might pick up seasons 4-7 if I have money to burn.
Yeah, I'll only be getting the first three seasons of TOS as well.
Old 08-04-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darmok
bureacratic mentality...and milking the star trek franchises...are the universal constants in the universe.
Considering how the repackaged and repackaged episodes on VHS tape, nothing from them comes as a surprise, except that they haven't done specific theme collections yet on DVD of episodes. Give it time, I suppose. Now all we need is the animated series.

BTW, this is hardly any news. Didn't Martin Blythe pretty much tell us they would do this several months back when the subject came up? Even if he didn't, it's been in the rumor mill ever since the first season of TNG was announced.
Old 08-04-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by darmok
I'm willing to cut them a little slack on this one. The TOS DVDs started coming out when no one ever thought $100 season sets would sell as well as they have. In fact, it was one of the first series to be slated for a complete DVD release, as opposed to best of collections. Paramont was following the proven VHS/laserdisc release pattern. Plus, with the original series, there are a lot of casual fans who will want specific episodes (Space Seed, Doomsday Machine, The Menagerie) but don't want the entire series. I haven't bought any of the TNG sets, but would have bought a "Best of Both Worlds" disc and probably a handful of others.

But I agree it would completely suck to buy 40 volumes of Star Trek, only to have the whole thing come out for half the money (and a quarter of precious shelf space!)
Old 08-04-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
Give it time, I suppose. Now all we need is the animated series.
Actually, I thought it was already out on dvd. Maybe it was for an ad dealing with something else around TAS.
Old 08-04-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
... no one ever thought $100 season sets would sell as well as they have.
In who's world are $100 dvd sets selling well? Especially when you hold them up to sets put out by Fox and other stuidos! I'm sorry, but even if I had the money I wouldn't buy a set for $100. Paramount is just too damn greedy there. Sets of Friends are going for $35. $35 I tell you. Yeah, I like Friends, but I'd rather have Star Trek. But I'll tell you right now I'd buy 3 seaons of Friend's anyday over 1 season of Star Trek.
Old 08-04-03, 04:08 PM

I think the $100 season sets sell fine. TNG, DS9, X-Files - they all are sellign reasaonably well from what I have seen and heard. i have all the TNG sets (LOVE that show), 2 DS9 and will get them all, and 1 X-Files and I will definitley own all seasons of the X-Files and any ST:TOS Sets released. I am a HUGE fan of TNG and X-Files. I hate to say it, but the X-Files sets are expensive and all, but even if they charged twice what they do, I would still probably get them...same goes for TNG. Those are just two of my all-time favorites. I grew up watching them both. Now if only we would get MacGyver season sets....

I also do not blame Paramount for initially giving us the sets in 2-episode format. At least they released them!! Star Trek is over 30 years old. I am just glad they are available. I was about to start picking up TOS, but now I may hold off for boxed sets.

Last edited by ZackR; 08-04-03 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-04-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Superman07
In who's world are $100 dvd sets selling well?
They're selling well in the real world.

Do you think that Paramount would release 7 TNG sets, 7 DS9 sets, and plan Voyager if they weren't selling? Do you think that Fox would continue to release X-Files if they didn't sell? I guarantee you that Warner would not be continuing the Babylon 5 sets if sales were soft...

These sets are selling extremely well. The retail price of other programs doesn't change that fact.
Old 08-04-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's good news they are finally going to release TOS series in season set. It's just too expensive to buy the individual episodes. Hopefully the boxset will be priced more reasonably.
Old 08-04-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Superman07
Actually, I thought it was already out on dvd. Maybe it was for an ad dealing with something else around TAS.
I don't think they are either, aren't they on LD though?
Old 08-04-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm a selective fan only planning on buying... Voyager 4-7 ...
As with all things, "selective" is a purely relative concept.
Old 08-04-03, 08:16 PM

I hope this is true, TOS and TNG are the only series worth buying in my humble little opinion. I hope they include some extras, at least the intros etc. that aired on SCI FI a few years back. What would REALLY kick ass would be a few commentary tracks by cast, crew, and other relevant folks still with the living...also seems appropriate to have some kinda doc on the whole convention/letter campaign phenomenon of the 70s. I'd also like to see a short bit about the digital effects house that wanted to do "special editions" of TOS eps a few years back...they did CG versions of all the effects shots in the episode "The Doomsday Machine" and I've been curious to see 'em. Also how 'bout that bloopers reel, guys? Don't make me go bootleg.
Old 08-04-03, 08:25 PM
Uber Member

I also hope they'll pack these with extras, that or lower the price; otherwise I'll probably wait to buy them used or do a trade for them.

Be kind of neat to see them all though. I don't think I've seen all of the original series. I think my favorite was the one with the little flying rays that attached to your back...it's the one Spock went blind in.
Old 08-04-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I guess this means I should grab the select episode discs I want before Paramount yanks them off the shelves. I bet it would be asking too much to have them offer a rebate to the people who purchased the individual discs.
Old 08-04-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I started collecting early when the deals were easy and the price ended up being about $8 disc. Even at that I got too frustrated with the shelf space and the time it took to release them so I got rid of many of the discs. Would definately upgrade to the season sets if reasonably priced and were an upgrade in terms of features.

I also can't really blame Paramount on this one. They knew Star Trek was a winner but released it well before any other TV was available.
Old 08-04-03, 08:58 PM

Re: Star Trek (TOS) Sets coming!!!

I really hope this is true! &nbsp I've wanted Star Trek - TOS on DVD for a long time, but just couldn't bring myself to buy 40+ individual discs. &nbsp
Old 08-04-03, 09:28 PM

I also thought Martin Blythe talked about this awhile back, but it is good to hear again.

When I started buying DVDs, I took one look at all the TOS episodes and decided to wait for the box sets. If there had been one or two episodes I wanted I would have bought them individually, but there is too much good Trek to not want entire seasons.

I don't have any TV in my collection yet -- bring on Trek!
Old 08-04-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

cool...thanks. I was just about to start adding to the TOS collection. I think I'll hold off for further updates concerning these sets. sorry...but screw the price. I want the sets and the complete series. I have NO interest in any ST except the original....and the films of course.
Old 08-04-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'l get this and DS9 when I have the money. Which may be a while....
Old 08-04-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Star Trek (TOS) Sets coming!!!

Originally posted by Deckard-10
I really hope this is true! &nbsp I've wanted Star Trek - TOS on DVD for a long time, but just couldn't bring myself to buy 40+ individual discs. &nbsp
Yup, this and Twilight Zone. Now way was I gonna buy all of those discs individually. Reason being - space and money.

There were only 4 seasons of TOS, right? I wonder how they will go about releasing them. Every three months or will they all be out by the summer of 2005? I know it's too early to tell, just wondering out loud.
Old 08-05-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Three seasons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.