Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Questions about NCAA 2004 dynasty mode.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about NCAA 2004 dynasty mode.

I've been working on the new NCAA 2004 Dynasty mode (using CSU). If anyone can offer some advice, I'd love to hear it.

1) If you're winning by tons, would putting in your 2nd string help the next season? Meaning, does game time help improve a player's ratings so he's better the following season?

2) Which difficulty setting gives the most realistic stats? For example, I'm playing All-American w/ 5-minute quarters. My yardage stats are close to correct (about 350 total yards a game) but my averages are unbelievable (200 yards passing on 5 attempts; 150 yards rushing on 5 attempts; etc.). Would a harder difficulty and a longer quarter length give me more realistic stats?

3) Just noticed that the A.I. settings can be modified. Has anyone adjusted these?

4) For those who do manual recruiting, what are the two most important things to remember?
Old 08-04-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. I don't think that helps.

2. You might need to play some harder competition. I believe CSU is a pretty good team in a pretty weak conference.

3. I lowered the AI interceptions slider by 2 clicks. Linebackers still catch better than my tight end but it's more bearable this way.

4. Speed never improves so get fast guys and hope they develop thier other skills.
Old 08-04-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the point of having a second string if they won't get better with more game time? I mean, are they always going to be at the ratings they are now?
Old 08-04-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Their ratings change after the year. I just don't think PT has anything to do with it. I could be wrong but that's been my experience.
Old 08-04-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If that's the case, my next season is going to be very very rough.
Old 08-04-03, 11:53 AM

I've noticed my second string becoming better throughout the course of a season, as my first string does as well. The best way to see the improvements is watch your kicker when kicking off. Over the season, you'll notice that it becomes easier to control the meter and maybe you were kicking the ball to the goal line, by seasons end your kicking it into the middle of the End Zone. I put my second string in around the thirds quarter, and I've noticed some of the DB's are making better hits and getting to the ball faster, plus the DT's are a bit faster.

I'm playing on All_AMerican with 5 min quarters also. Averaging 687 yds per game with about 600+ yards a game passing. Just went over 6000 Yards passing for the season and 70 TD's. I hear ya about the Interceptions.. I bombed one out to my WR alone with the CB. The CB jumped about 4 feet up at the goal line and intercepted it WITH ONE HAND. Not like it hit him chest, I mean outstretched straight up.. BAM Caught with one hand. I was fuming..
Old 08-04-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

600 yards a game? holy cow. I must be doing something wrong. I'm giving up 100 yards a game and averaging 350 on offense. and that's with scoring on every drive but one.

then again, my starting RB and QB were injured for two games, and I've been using my 2nd string in the 2nd half.

Still, 600? wow.
Old 08-04-03, 02:06 PM

Bishop,

I created a school, created a couple players, made them average and I just got a good QB with some arm strength and receivers who can mostly catch. My completion rate is about 50% and I air it out every down, even 4th. Generally you can rack up 300 yards by half time. The other thing you should know is the opponent does score on me, but the end game is generally around 74-6 or 13 or something. I don't play weenie teams and I'm in the ACC. Each time I start a season, I make sure I swap out for teams like Florida State, Tennesee, Okalahoma, and so on. Just takes some time. My high total for passing yards before I started using this all out approach was like 412 yards passing. My new record is something like 847 in one game. I play 2 or 3 games a night. I'm completely hooked.
Old 08-04-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
B2K: I hear ya on the yardage. I'm only playing the 2nd lowest difficultly level (I'm working my way up to the highest difficulty). I can manage about 350 yards per game with Oregon (surprised?)...about 250 passing and 100 rushing. I don't air it out that much but I may now since I just recruited this Blue Chip WR that has 99 speed.

The thing I love about this guy is that you can just throw a 5 yard pass to him and if he gets by the CB then it's pretty much a TD. I had a game earlier in my season where he had like 180 yards receiving, 2 TDs...on 2 receptions.

As far as manual recruiting, I make sure I go after the Blue Chipper that are interested in my school. Then I hit up most of the 4* guys that are interested. Then I see which positions I haven't recruited any players in or need to upgrade and then I search the overall list of recruits looking for players that have a "High" interest in my school. If I have any points left over then I go for the Blue Chippers that have "High" interest.

Basically, I try to grab the big recruits in the first couple of weeks. Then I go after guys I have a really good chance at signing & filling spots on my roster. Recruiting is the favorite part of the game for me. I'm just a big ol' sucker for simulations
Old 08-04-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tigger
Bishop,

I created a school, created a couple players, made them average and I just got a good QB with some arm strength and receivers who can mostly catch. My completion rate is about 50% and I air it out every down, even 4th. Generally you can rack up 300 yards by half time. The other thing you should know is the opponent does score on me, but the end game is generally around 74-6 or 13 or something. I don't play weenie teams and I'm in the ACC. Each time I start a season, I make sure I swap out for teams like Florida State, Tennesee, Okalahoma, and so on. Just takes some time. My high total for passing yards before I started using this all out approach was like 412 yards passing. My new record is something like 847 in one game. I play 2 or 3 games a night. I'm completely hooked.
Sounds like someone needs to adjust some sliders in the CPU's favor.
Old 08-04-03, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Quake1028
Sounds like someone needs to adjust some sliders in the CPU's favor.
Your probably right. The thing is I kept it 50/50, so I could see my abilities against the CPU. Next Season I'm going to even it out a bit. Not saying I'm that good, but it's frustrating when you aren't living up to expectations in previous games. The pics drive me nuts, especially like the one I mentioned before. Some of them are just rediculous... but overall I'm finding it's more enjoyable than last years, with the AI performing better when rushing the passer and wrapping up on tackles.
Old 08-04-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The AI sucks on offense, but it does manage to get some interceptions against my QB. I'm going to finish the season with the same levels and modify next season's.

I just managed a game with 400 offensive yards (I gave up -11). I just don't see how anyone gets 600+ yards. Then again, I like to vary my plays, acting as if it's a real game. I run run run then play action pass. Or option option option then opition pass. More fun that way.
Old 08-04-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in my 10th season right now. At the begining of my seventh season, I began to blow teams out of the water by the middle of the third quarter. At this point I started doing the mass sub thing.

While I have no other proof that subbing is a good thing, I noticed that at the begining of the eighth season, several underclassman were competing for starting positions.

I have no idea if the game tracks these types of things, but I don't think it could hurt.
Old 08-05-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is anyone else having a hard time with injuries in this game? I never had a big problem in previous years, but in my first season I've been losing guys left and right.

My last game (game 7) saw my starting QB go down for 4 weeks and my #1 receiver go down for 12 weeks. The game before (game 6) saw my #1 CB and kick returner go down for 8 weeks, then the next kick off, his backup too.

In the first game of the season, I lost my #1 RB for 3 weeks, and in game two, my QB went down for 1 week.

That's a lot of key injuries to sustain.
Old 08-05-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I lost my Heisman winning RB for the season in like week 5. Now I'm stuck with a crappy HB that's gains like 150 yards in 3 weeks. He was great coming in on 3rd downs and just running all over the tired defense. I nearly lost my QB in my last game. He got knocked out of the game with a head injury and was given a 10P injury thingy But he's fine now and back.

Last season I lost my #1 WR to some injury so he missed the final 3-4 games.

Personally, I'm glad that's more injuries in this game. I've been tired of play sports games where guys wouldn't get injured. It makes it more realistic and more of a challenge to win without key pieces of the puzzle.
Old 08-05-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree about the realism. It crossed my mind briefly to not accept the game, but I figured it'll test my coaching skills. I think it'll be fun to make up the games in the Heisman hunt too. Might be hard to gain that puppy after missing 5-6 games in one season.
Old 08-05-03, 11:48 AM

I like the realism as well. I lost my top DT last night to a torn pectoral for the next 5 weeks, which means he's out for the year. I love the injuries and crazy types they come up with. I've had broken jaw, dislocated shoulder, torn rotater, sprain, mild concussion. I've made up ground for the National Champion bid (I started at like 73rd and after week 12 I am number 4. I love the new addition of the individual season trophies, aside from the Heisman. I just wish we could read a little about the history of some of them, a brief synopsis, when they show who is up for the award.
Old 08-05-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoy the Sports Illustrated covers. The headline from the last one said CSU Gets No Love From New Polls (despite winning by 40+ and having an 8-0 record, I'm still only #9.). Can't wait for the day that actually has a paragraph of text that highlights the last game or key points to a players Heisman run.
Old 08-05-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You definitely have to like the direction EA is taking with this series.
Old 08-05-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that I've finally gotten going on this game...

I'm in Season 3 with Marshall (I always pick a random team to start with, this time it was Marshall). Got a bid to join the ACC after year 1, which was accepted.

Now I'm sitting currently 12th in the country. I lost my starting QB in the last game for 4 weeks though, and he's having to be replaced by a true freshman. Luckily, the frosh is pretty damn good in his own right and almost won the starting job.

I can say this game is definitely a vast improvement over previous efforts.
Old 08-07-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i think someone asked a similar question, but anyone know how the quarter length affects the dynasty.. I typically play 3 minute quarters.. My games usually end up in the 20-30 point range.. As a result, my offense is ranked very low in the standings, but my defense is good as well.. Will this affect adversly in the polls or in recruiting? Also, i assume it does affect the heisman race
Old 08-07-03, 07:43 AM
Admin Emeritus

I haven't done it yet, but I think putting the second string in during a blowout to prevent injuries to your first-stringers makes sense.
Old 08-07-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Personally, I'm going to need to up the difficulty... my #1 ranked Trojans beat the NCAA record for points by blowing out Cal 114 - 0 (mostly because their special teams stunk, and Mike Williams averaged around 40 yards each punt return).

About the averages... I think unless you play really long quarters, your offense will start to lag behind the rest. The running game is pretty easy to control, especially if you can occasionally break out huge runs. But my quarterback will never have enough passes to be considered for the QB awards. The only way I can have my WR compete is if I throw to him almost every single time.

Anyone have any success getting a defensive player nominated for the Heisman? It's even harder than in real life!
Old 08-07-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as the Heisman:

My QB threw for 1,400 yards, ran for 1,500, and scored a total of 44 touchdowns (and was injured for a total of 4 full games). He lost the Heisman race to a RB who had 1,700 rushing yards and 27 total TDs.

Lame!

Finished 12-0, but came in 3rd in all polls.

Lame!

But this is like real life, just like all of my injuries.

Awesome!

Last edited by James W. Powell; 08-07-03 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-07-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now that I'm nearing the end of the season, can anyone give me solid tips on recruiting? Do I pick a few players and go with just those? Or do I spread my "points" around and get more players but lose some too?

Focus my blue chips only on skill positions, or every one?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.