Why Don't Studios Use Jewel Boxes?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-03, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the complaints regarding cases for DVDs, I have one question: why don't studios just use jewel boxes instead? Like music CDs. It seem like it would be a much more cost-effective way to produce the discs. Plus, you would have so much more space freed up in your storage cabinet. Not to mention the fact that the collection would look so uniform due to the jewel cases. I always thought that the large cases the discs come in are a lot of wasted material. It would be fine if all the studios would get on the same page and release their films in the same type of case, like the way game manufacturers do. Any thoughts?
Old 08-04-03, 12:25 AM

what's your obsession with jewel cases? you've opened two rants already. You can put em in jewel cases if you want but personally i think that dvd cases are much more durable and attractive.
Old 08-04-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally, most of the major studios were releasing them in jewel cases. The concensus was that they were too hard to tell apart from music CD's and thus creating some market confusion for the nascent product. Also, early product polling revealed that consumers wanted something different for a whole variety of other reasons as well. Thus, they began switching over to the more common keepcases (or in Warner's case, snappers) that we have today. Now digipaks are growing in popularity and beginning to replace multi-disc "Alpha-style" cases. Perhaps their cheaper material costs will lead to the eventual phasing out of keepcases for single-disc releases. Personally, I always kind of liked the super jewel case. I think they could have done some interesting things with those had they caught on instead of keepcases.
Old 08-04-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
yeah, I too like the super jewel cases, but I find that the thinpak keepcases work just as well. I've started converting my collection over to thinkpaks... it's amazing how quickly the size is reduced when the cases are only half as thick.
Old 08-04-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
please don't give the studios any ideas. it's bad enough WB still uses Snappers.

I agree with tvpuff, DVD cases are much more durable and attractive. as for TV/multidisc sets, I prefer the slim cases that new releases have [Family Guy, King Of the Hill, Homicide]. hopefully, all studios will adopt 'em.
Old 08-04-03, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by tvpuff
what's your obsession with jewel cases? you've opened two rants already.
I opened two threads in two different forums because I didn't get any feedback at all from this forum until now. I know moderators eventually move threads to specific forums, but everytime I start a thread in anything but DVD Talk Forum, I get virtually no response. The moment I start it in DVD Talk, I get non-stop responses.

I'm not obsessed with jewel cases. I actually prefer the VHS-sized keepcases DVDs currently come in. I was only trying to suggest some type of uniform packaging system, since almost every-other thread regarding DVD cases is a complaint in regards to either snappers or another different design. Jewel cases, large or small, would solve that issue. Collections would look more uniform, which is what most people seem to want (at least that's the impression I get from reading these posts every day). I would like to see nothing but Amary. Good, solid, attractive. If they get damaged, just slip out the cover and insert and put in another, just like you do for music CDs in JCs.

I didn't realize that starting these threads would result in such a barrage of tomato throwing.

I officially raise the white flag.
Old 08-05-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I hate jewel cases. They shatter if you drop them and the little tabs break too easily.
Old 08-05-03, 09:28 PM

And the DVD cases just happen to be about the same dimensions as a movie poster... If a studio was ever so inclined to use poster art for their cover.

Ric
Old 08-07-03, 11:35 AM

please add me to the "because jewel cases suck" camp
Old 08-08-03, 05:25 AM

Because they suck ....
Old 08-13-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scaramanga