Community
Search

Phone Booth DVD Audio Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phone Booth DVD Audio Problems?

I got my Phone Booth DVD back when it was released like on July 8th and i just got around to seeing it yesterday. Right in the beginning when Stu is talking on his cell phone and they show the screen in screen shots with the people hes talking to, well you can hear him but not the people hes talking to. I tried messing with it a bit, i turned the subtitles on and they work but the audio doesnt for the people hes having the conversations with. I even tried the Spanish Dubbing and that worked but once i put on the English, nothing, not even the French dubbing works. So i returned it and got another, and i got the same problem. Did this happen to anyone else? Is there a defective batch of Phone Booth DVDs out there?
Old 08-02-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
How is your home theatre set-up hooked up? Maybe it's a loose connection.
Old 08-02-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No audio problems here
Old 08-02-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no porbs on mine
Old 08-02-03, 04:55 PM

your audio isn't setup correctly. I had to fix a friend's system, they had their right channel plugged into the bitstream output.
Old 08-02-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had the exact same problem when I rented this disc. Maybe there are some defective discs out there. Or perhaps it's a compatability problem. I have a Toshiba 3109.

jim
Old 08-03-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well i got a new copy today and before i came home with it they checked it out at Circuit City and it worked fine. Ill try it out in a few here at home and let you guys know whats up.
Old 08-03-03, 04:00 AM
JM1

I noticed the dialogue coming out of the front left and front right speakers during the cell phone conversations is very muted. You can hear it, but it's not very clear.

I remember it being much clearer than this when I saw it in the theatre, so cannot understand why they have decided to mute the dialogue in such a way for the DVD. I would not exactly call it a fault, more of a concious decision. Somebody obviously thought " Hey, it's a phone conversation, so it should not be as loud as the rest of the dialogue, it should be in the background".

Personally, I think it was an ill advised move, as the person talking on the phone is visible on screen, so no reason why it should not have been more audible.

I can live with it, but it's just a little distracting.
Old 08-13-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just finished watching phone booth and the audio during that/those scenes was just fine, no problems at all. In fact, it tracked the position of the little picture-in-picture window - if the PIP window was on the left-side, the audio for that person talking came out of the left speaker, when the PIP window jumped over to the right side, the audio jumped over to the right speaker. FWIW, the UPC on my disc is 24543-08048.

Last edited by Jah-Wren Ryel; 08-13-03 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-13-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had the same audio problem you discribe while watching Phone Booth. I don't have any surround sound speakers- just a stereo tv- so I figured it had something to do with the audio not being set up right for a two speaker system.